Ronda's mental state won't matter in this fight

Well Browne said in the prefight that the jab was one of the major things Edmond taught him, then all of a sudden Edmond's corner advice is "DOUBLE UP ON THE JAB, AND THEN YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT". I think he wanted the jab to work more than he wanted Browne to win the fight.
Edmond is the worst

And what happens when Ronda can't get a takedown, and is getting punched in the face instead?

econds, post: 125297031, member: 494557"]Mental state ALWAYS matters

Not always, because Jon Jones could be depressed from his mother dying or something, but generally, mental state is
I think Ronda's "mental state" is more about her confidence in her own ab10ity1. I think Edmond is an awful coach. Not because of training techniques or anything, I really don't know how he runs his camps, but he seems to have an emotional attachment with his fighters where he can't tell them that they are doing something wrong. You hear corners all the time saying shit like "we don't want to wrestle him," "we don't want to be up against the cage with him," "we don't want to strike with him," but Edmond is like a cheerleader that is always "you're better everywhere, do whatever you want, and you'll be better" She could have beat Holm if she knew that she couldn't box her. Hopefully, for her sake, she knows that she cant get into a kickboxing match with Nunes, or she's gonna get lit up again.

I don't think it took Edmund for her to realize she couldn't stand with Holm lmao. I'm pretty sure she knew within the first 10 seconds. Hell, she knew before the fight she couldn't stand with her.

And really, she didn't fight like she could stand with her. She fought like she couldn't get her down, and he no footwork to get her against the cage, and grapple with her. When she did, she failed.

She was forced to fight that way. It's not like she stood in the center of the cage and went tit for tat with her. She was chasing her all night, and kept getting tagged. She had no say in the matter, whether Edmond, Greg Jackson, Firaz, Ray Longo, Angelo Dundee, or Floyd May weather Sr. told her she couldn't stand with her or not.

post: 125297761, member: 77786"]And what happens when Ronda can't get a takedown, and is getting punched in the face instead?

An awesome night lol.

Yes she went to her bread and butter, rush in and go for the take down. She is just getting figured out is all.
And what happens when Ronda can't get a takedown, and is getting punched in the face instead?
She gets Knocked the F out. It all stems from the takedown. If she can easily get it she probably wins if nunes takes it serious and defends like holly she wins.

Not always, because Jon Jones could be depressed from his mother dying or something, but generally, mental state is

I don't think it took Edmund for her to realize she couldn't stand with Holm lmao. I'm pretty sure she knew within the first 10 seconds. Hell, she knew before the fight she couldn't stand with her.

And really, she didn't fight like she could stand with her. She fought like she couldn't get her down, and he no footwork to get her against the cage, and grapple with her. When she did, she failed.

She was forced to fight that way. It's not like she stood in the center of the cage and went tit for tat with her. She was chasing her all night, and kept getting tagged. She had no say in the matter, whether Edmond, Greg Jackson, Firaz, Ray Longo, Angelo Dundee, or Floyd May weather Sr. told her she couldn't stand with her or not.

She came in to the fight thinking that she could stand with her and that she could bull rush her and get her to the ground. If Ronda and her coaches realized this, she should have been backing up, waiting for Holly to engage, and then trying to counter with a takedown. Holly is a counter puncher, and Ronda kept being the aggressor and getting countered. If she sat back, and waited for Holly to come in at her, the fight would have played out much differently. It probably would have been a boring fight with both fighters waiting for the other to engage.

Ronda wins fights because she relies heavily/entirely on her judo skills. These skills are ingrained in her because she has been doing judo for 20 years. She doesn't need to be mentally on point in this fight because everything she does in the cage is second nature to her.
Bro. This is the UFC. With certain exceptions(Jon Jones), you don't make it to the UFC if your skills are not second nature. You make it sound like Ronda is the only one who's been training for any significant amount of time.

Mental state is extremely important. I would argue that it was Ronda's mental state (over-confidence) that lost her the fight against Holly. I'm not trying to make some crazy claim like it's the ONLY factor, but it's definitely a factor no matter how good you are.

Underdogs win fights all the time, and not always because they're more skilled. Sometimes they just want it more. Mental state.

It's easy to go forward without fear when you've never been knocked out.

I agree Nunes' style is nothing like how Holm approached her fight.

I'm putting $300 or so on Ronda. Should be a wrap after the first few clinches.

By the few accounts we have so far, Ronda is in good physical conditioning, so I'm looking forward to getting my week's worth of money.
300 a week is enough for you? WTF? Thats groceries and gas

The sting is out, we all know Ronda reigned because of her opponents unpreparedness for judoku. Things are different now, Nunes is going to tax that ass.

She came in to the fight thinking that she could stand with her and that she could bull rush her and get her to the ground. If Ronda and her coaches realized this, she should have been backing up, waiting for Holly to engage, and then trying to counter with a takedown. Holly is a counter puncher, and Ronda kept being the aggressor and getting countered. If she sat back, and waited for Holly to come in at her, the fight would have played out much differently. It probably would have been a boring fight with both fighters waiting for the other to engage.

She came in to bull rush, and get her to the mat, because that's her strength, and that's her only path to victory. If she did what you said, she'd be doing exactly what you said she shouldn't have done, and that's playing a methodical striking game. She doesn't have the striking capabilities or counter punching of Woodley to pull that off, and her take downs aren't of the explode double leg, or single variety. She needs to initiate, and bull rush for her TD.

Also, if she just waited all fight long, she'd allow Holly to pick her apart all night long, which is what happened anyways. That's probably the dumbest gameplan I've ever heard.

There is no, this would've worked better, or that would've worked better, because Holly is just a bad match up for her. That's the nature of being a bad match up. You don't have that many avenues for victory.

Again, you're acting like Edmond could've told her something she didn't know.

"Ronda, you're getting your ass kicked in there, clinch her up, and get her down!!!"

Ronda: "No shit Sherlock, I'm trying! I just cant!"

Ronda wins fights because she relies heavily/entirely on her judo skills. These skills are ingrained in her because she has been doing judo for 20 years. She doesn't need to be mentally on point in this fight because everything she does in the cage is second nature to her. Whether she is mentally ready or not isn't going to matter because if her judo works she wins and if it doesn't she's screwed. Holly is the perfect opponent to expose Ronda but Nunes style is actually pretty favorable to Rousey. The only way Rousey's mental state plays a role is if it has effected her physical fitness level and by all accounts it appears Ronda is in good shape physically. I think Rousey takes this fight and makes it looks easy.

Nunes is an even worse match up. She is a brown belt in Judo, she has superior MMA striking to Holm, elite counter striking, solid TDD, and shes going to murk Ronda.

The only big flaw in Nunes game is her gas tank, but Ronda's is just as bad. This probably doesn't go past the first round. Nunes via brutal TKO.

Ronda wins fights because she relies heavily/entirely on her judo skills. These skills are ingrained in her because she has been doing judo for 20 years. She doesn't need to be mentally on point in this fight because everything she does in the cage is second nature to her. Whether she is mentally ready or not isn't going to matter because if her judo works she wins and if it doesn't she's screwed. Holly is the perfect opponent to expose Ronda but Nunes style is actually pretty favorable to Rousey. The only way Rousey's mental state plays a role is if it has effected her physical fitness level and by all accounts it appears Ronda is in good shape physically. I think Rousey takes this fight and makes it looks easy.
So, if she's denied the range she needs to initiate the clinch, what then?

I'm the biggest critic of belt systems, but isn't Amanda a black belt in BJJ and a brown belt in Judo?

Why does everyone think Ronda is just going to throw Amanda around?

Ronda gave up her back to Liz Carmouche, failed with her first judo toss attempt against Correia, failed to get Holly down, failed to get McMann down. It's not like she just gets a hold of you and it's over, and Amanda is physically big, tall and strong just like Holly was - I'm not sure why there are so many doubters of her.

Well, ronda tried to take holly down but couldn't so...She definitely tried. She was forced to play hollys game because of it.
Maybe the judo through just got figured out and isn't invincible anymore just like bjj or double legs were at times before tdd

TS maybe right. Stylistically, there is an path for Ronda win this fight easy.

Back