Ronda's mental state won't matter in this fight

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Degen Gambler, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Degen Gambler

Degen Gambler Silver Belt

Ronda wins fights because she relies heavily/entirely on her judo skills. These skills are ingrained in her because she has been doing judo for 20 years. She doesn't need to be mentally on point in this fight because everything she does in the cage is second nature to her. Whether she is mentally ready or not isn't going to matter because if her judo works she wins and if it doesn't she's screwed. Holly is the perfect opponent to expose Ronda but Nunes style is actually pretty favorable to Rousey. The only way Rousey's mental state plays a role is if it has effected her physical fitness level and by all accounts it appears Ronda is in good shape physically. I think Rousey takes this fight and makes it looks easy.

2. Venom

Venom Lurker since '09

I agree Nunes' style is nothing like how Holm approached her fight.

I'm putting $300 or so on Ronda. Should be a wrap after the first few clinches.

By the few accounts we have so far, Ronda is in good physical conditioning, so I'm looking forward to getting my week's worth of money.

3. Kuggk

Kuggk Purple Belt

Yea, I see Ronda flipping her and pummeling Nunes to set up for a submission. It's going to be great fight rather Ronda wins or not

4. Lawblaw

Lawblaw Black Belt

But Amanda hits hard. That's all I need to know.

5. 13Seconds

13Seconds Red Belt

Mental state ALWAYS matters

6. Tito’s Juice Box

Tito’s Juice Box let's get smashed

I think Ronda's "mental state" is more about her confidence in her own ability. I think Edmond is an awful coach. Not because of training techniques or anything, I really don't know how he runs his camps, but he seems to have an emotional attachment with his fighters where he can't tell them that they are doing something wrong. You hear corners all the time saying shit like "we don't want to wrestle him," "we don't want to be up against the cage with him," "we don't want to strike with him," but Edmond is like a cheerleader that is always "you're better everywhere, do whatever you want, and you'll be better" She could have beat Holm if she knew that she couldn't box her. Hopefully, for her sake, she knows that she cant get into a kickboxing match with Nunes, or she's gonna get lit up again.

JayTeeM and 7th like this.
  7. Ottawaguy

Ottawaguy Gold Belt

Style and skills wise I think that Nunes has everything she needs to beat Ronda. She will have to be smart about it though, because Ronda will always be dangerous in the clinch.

As long as Nunes doesn't fight in a stupid way lile Miesha did, she will do well.

KORMAN and gevoudane like this.
  8. les elroy

les elroy Purple Belt

Mental state no matter? That's one of the dumbest shertheories I've heard this month.

gevoudane and Degen Gambler like this.
  9. sadclown

sadclown Banned Banned

If mental state doesn't matter, then Uriah Hall would be MW champ.

McBlaze and gevoudane like this.
  10. Drake

Drake Guest

Just takes that first big clean punch to give her flashbacks......or put the lights out...

11. gevoudane

gevoudane ʇlǝq ʞɔɐlq

But it does.

12. nostradumbass

nostradumbass Gold Belt

I think it's that he doesn't want to tell her she's not a good striker because he's her striking coach, so he probably doesn't want her to realize she sucks at the only thing he's supposed to be teaching her. If Ronda realizes most other coaches are better and decides to leave, Edmond would have to rely on more tax fraud to make a living.

Tito’s Juice Box likes this.
  13. Degen Gambler

Degen Gambler Silver Belt

Hall is not a good fighter

14. green giant

green giant Honor still means something................

Well, ronda tried to take holly down but couldn't so...She definitely tried. She was forced to play hollys game because of it.

15. Tito’s Juice Box

He's like that with all his fighters. Listen to him screaming at Browne when he was getting his ass kicked by Werdum for the second time. It was all "you can fucking do this" and absolutely no strategy on how to actually do it.

16. sadclown

sadclown Banned Banned

And a large part of that is because mentally he's not equipped to be, despite the natural gifts.

17. Tito’s Juice Box

Yea but her way of trying to take her down was "bull rush with wild punches and then try to take her down" Holly is a counter puncher, and Ronda should have stayed on the outside, fainted and looked for openings. Instead she just rushed in wildly and got beaten up for her efforts.

18. green giant

green giant Honor still means something................

Yes she went to her bread and butter, rush in and go for the take down. Its all she knows. She is just getting figured out is all.

19. Tito’s Juice Box

Well that's the big question coming in to this fight. Has she learned to stay away from a dangerous striker and pick or shots, or does she rush in an attempt to overwhelm? I'm really looking forward to this fight actually, because how Ronda has adjusted is really interesting to me.

20. nostradumbass

nostradumbass Gold Belt

Well Browne said in the prefight that the jab was one of the major things Edmond taught him, then all of a sudden Edmond's corner advice is "DOUBLE UP ON THE JAB, AND THEN YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT". I think he wanted the jab to work more than he wanted Browne to win the fight.

Tito’s Juice Box likes this.