Ronda must be salty about how the Holm/Harrison fight went

Well yeah Kayla is obvs much bigger and stronger than Ronda...but also Holly fought dumb in this fight and Kayla was also better in the standup than Ronda. It might have been a tougher fight if Holly was younger and moved her feet, used angles etc.
That worked because Holm physically was able to create separation from Ronda. It basically played out similar (Ronda and Kayla) trying to grab hold of and control Holm. Against Ronda Holm physically won and was able to basically turn it into a striking fight. She tried against Kayla and just couldn’t shake her to even get there.

It’s not like Holm didn’t lose 4/6 fights after beating Ronda while still in her prime. I still can’t see that Holm being able to physically create the separation against Kayla the way she did with Ronda. The pressure, wrestling, level changing and striking Kayla has vs Ronda’s upright bobble head attempts to clinch to throw and her erect boxing style are night and day. I think way more to it than just Holm being old now. Holm was highly beatable after Ronda and lost more fights than she won after winning the title while still in her prime.

Also Holm only has 1 finish in the UFC and it was Ronda. I highly doubt she’s going to throw single pot shots being super predictable making her ‘ish striking noises with her mouth and beat Kayla by boring ass sparring decision.

Last edited:
Yeah, Ronda said her knees were messed up from Judo and she couldnt shoot for takedowns like that.
Makes sense, even though Holly was better in the Ronda fight I do think just having the threat of a good double leg changed her ability to manage distance against Kayla. I’m excited to see how far Harrison can go, wbw feels a little barren without Nunes so it’s nice to see someone come in and shake things up.

Holly Holmes is predictable. The opponents know, if there is no ish ish ish, grapple and sub dis bish

Kayla is a FAR more decorated judo practitioner compared to Ronda. It isn’t really even close.

Holly is 42. Doesn't count

Anyone else feel Holly looks tortured the last years ?

True.

I wonder if she's happy there's another Judo player in the game or does she feel it takes her shine away.

I dont think its wrong for her to feel some kinda way about it. Used to be your spot.
I am pretty sure Ronda & Kayla have a weird relationship. They were roommates, & only Kayla has spoken about Ronda. She has mentioned they’re estranged, but generally is pretty neutral on Ronda. I think they obviously have a level of respect for each other.. but as a former Ronda fan, she just seems very bitter. I’m sure the 2 Gold Medals & the World Championship in judo are things she wishes she could’ve had.

I think by smarter you mean more wise. Age most certainly does not make you smarter.

When you're a once-ever talent you don't get jealous of anyone.They're all jealous of Ronda and she knows it.

WTF you are talking about
she is a champion, and probably rooting for Kayla to represent Judo

winners are not salty,
the champion mindset is different,
you prepare yourself to the best of your abilities and you show up to compete against the best

she had an amazing run,
she put women mma on the map

and even Kayla praised Rousey for her accomplishment

2 great champions who respect each other

That worked because Holm physically was able to create separation from Ronda. It basically played out similar (Ronda and Kayla) trying to grab hold of and control Holm. Against Ronda Holm physically won and was able to basically turn it into a striking fight. She tried against Kayla and just couldn’t shake her to even get there.

It’s not like Holm didn’t lose 4/6 fights after beating Ronda while still in her prime. I still can’t see that Holm being able to physically create the separation against Kayla the way she did with Ronda. The pressure, wrestling, level changing and striking Kayla has vs Ronda’s upright bobble head attempts to clinch to throw and her erect boxing style are night and day. I think way more to it than just Holm being old now. Holm was highly beatable after Ronda and lost more fights than she won after winning the title while still in her prime.

Also Holm only has 1 finish in the UFC and it was Ronda. I highly doubt she’s going to throw single pot shots being super predictable making her ‘ish striking noises with her mouth and beat Kayla by boring ass sparring decision.
Given that Holm is almost a decade older and on a far worse run I'm not sure its that relevant but I would strongly disagree that they have similar tactics.

Rousey by the time she fought Holm was I think strongly "edmonded", she had far too much confidence in her striking and this is mostly what she focused on vs Holm. Harrison was mostly using striking to close the distance and clinch up as Rousey did earlier in her career as well but against Holm she is loading up on most of her strikes looking for a KO to the degree Holly could often side step them.....

e6a63lD.gif

You had some clinching in the fight but really its not what Rousey was focused on.

Reactions: HHJ
Why would she be salty?

Father Time is undefeated. The same Randy Couture who TKO’d Vitor Belfort got his head dribbled like a basketball by Brock Lesnar a decade later. Was Vitor salty?

Kayla looks formidable, but she’s not unbeatable…hell, she’s fought Pacheco for 65 minutes and neither of them could get the finish…Holly just fought a dumb fight that played to Kayla’s strengths and was a prime example of FAFO.

Reactions: lsa
Such bullshit.

At 135 She was the BEST of her time. Who cares what she would be today? She wasnt preparing to fight today.

I'm not used to people on Sherdog being realistic and correct.

It's weird.

Reactions: HHJ
That was terrible fight IQ from Holm in round one. I thought age made you smarter not dumber. Sometimes fear is a good thing, it prevents you from making stupid decisions in fights.
Holm clinched with Ronda too. Took Ronda down.

Given that Holm is almost a decade older and on a far worse run I'm not sure its that relevant but I would strongly disagree that they have similar tactics.

Rousey by the time she fought Holm was I think strongly "edmonded", she had far too much confidence in her striking and this is mostly what she focused on vs Holm. Harrison was mostly using striking to close the distance and clinch up as Rousey did earlier in her career as well but against Holm she is loading up on most of her strikes looking for a KO to the degree Holly could often side step them.....

e6a63lD.gif

You had some clinching in the fight but really its not what Rousey was focused on.
lol dude right before she threw that strike in your gif she tried to pin Holm on the cage and clinch and got thrown, tried to clinch in open space and got shoved and then tried a clinch to trip to takedown and Holm took her down (and Ronda tried an arm bar from bottom, Holm escaped and stood back up). The “boxing” was because she kept failing to secure Holm with her grappling.

Rewatch the fight or at least the 90 seconds before the whiffed punch you just posted. Red faced Ronda was in panic mode because she couldn’t secure Holm (which Kayla did). She was not happy at all eating strikes she was forced to do so. Again Holm lost so many fights in her prime after she beat Ronda. Kayla would have beat her then or now.

lol dude right before she threw that strike in your gif she tried to pin Holm on the cage and clinch and got thrown, tried to clinch in open space and got shoved and then tried a clinch to trip to takedown and Holm took her down (and Ronda tried an arm bar from bottom, Holm escaped and stood back up). The “boxing” was because she kept failing to secure Holm with her grappling.

Rewatch the fight or at least the 90 seconds before the whiffed punch you just posted. Red faced Ronda was in panic mode because she couldn’t secure Holm (which Kayla did). She was not happy at all eating strikes she was forced to do so. Again Holm lost so many fights in her prime after she beat Ronda. Kayla would have beat her then or now.
That first round has one fench clinch from Rousey and one reversal in a clinch which ends up with her attempting an armbar on Holms back. Again as I said watch the fight and I think its pretty clear Rousey is not focused mostly on grappling, she's trying to KO Holm, loading up on punches and not looking to push in for a takedown behind them.

Look at the start of the second round with Harrison and you see the obvious difference, she backs Holm up with a series of strikes then is looking right for the takedown. Earlier in Rousey's career she looked to do that more often, latter on it was mostly looking for strikes, she would take the opportunity for a takedown if it was offered but she wasnt nearly as focused on it anymore.

As I have said before, a 42 year old woman in MMA is basically 52 in man years. They age waaaay faster. She's probably lost a third of her speed and power since the ronda days.

Back