• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Ron Paul censored

FB is doing sweep bans of anyone with any association to anything that is going to get them sued. The only good thing to come out of this disaster is that these tech titans are going to be dishing out some massive settlements.

Um, duh. I'm aware. That's precisely my point.

I see you need this explained to you. @luckyshot attempted to use a libertarian belief to justify banning Ron Paul from Facebook. First, Paul hasn't contradicted Facebook's right to ban him, as I already pointed out. Second, anyone who argues this is embracing hardline libertarian views like those that Paul espouses. This includes those who still oppose the CRA.

In other words, this isn't an acceptable argument for a liberal to make unless he wishes to concede that the Civil Rights Act shouldn't exist, and that Paul (and others) were right that the bakers who refused to make a custom wedding cake for the gay couple were legally & morally entitled to their refusal. To attempt to justify banning Paul on the grounds Facebook is a private business, entitled to do whatever they see fit as a business, and for no other reason, without explanation, is tantamount to saying that businesses should have the right to refuse service to black people simply because they're black.

Civilized people demand a more reasoned rationale.

I’m getting really irritated by idiots that keep making the Twitter/bakery analogy. They think they’re being witty by pointing out the hypocrisy of the right while ignoring that they’re exposing their own hypocrisy, because most of them felt that the bakery should have been forced to make the cakes.

The goal is to censor all of the Republicans (and most of the Dems too, but shhhh about that last part). So the order doesn't really matter.

In a few years the only social media accounts will be mega corporations like McDonalds & Starbucks, and maybe Stephen Colbert leftists will act like it’s totally cool.

In a few years the only social media accounts will be mega corporations like McDonalds, Starbucks, and maybe Stephen Colbert leftists will act like it’s totally cool.

It'll be easy to find a few Republican corporate tools to talk about "muh private company" as well.

I’m getting really irritated by idiots that keep making the Twitter/bakery analogy. They think they’re being witty by pointing out the hypocrisy of the right while ignoring that they’re exposing their own hypocrisy, because most of them felt that the bakery should have been forced to make the cakes.

It's just a proxy for the opinions/things they like and they don't actually care about the underlining rules and mechanisms. It's easy to care about free speech and discrimination laws when it aligns with your opinions independent of how/where it is delivered. The real test is when it isn't convenient to support.

These big tech companies got loans as well as work with government and said they are public squares.

Damn what did he do? Hes like the most respected repub by the left.

Source

Ron Paul is the last repub that should be censored.

Are you kidding? Paul has been saying "taxation is theft" for decades. What happened at the Capitol was an absolutely acceptable event if one actually believes that sort of anti-government nonsense. For many Trump supporters Ron Paul was the initial gateway drug to insurrection. Fuck Ron Paul.

I'm not saying this reflects your views, but the idea that markets sort this stuff out on their own is quite frankly magical thinking and why libertarians suck.

I have a newsflash for Paul and everyone else, Facebook and the markets don't give a shit. It's free and addictive and people are going to continue shit posting on Facebook until there are alternatives. That or they can get regulated, but I am pessimistic about that (and maybe that's good, idk).
It's kind of hard to have alternatives when the government actively stifles the free market.

Paul says he would have opposed 1964 Civil Rights Act

Paul said. He explained that he would have opposed the Civil Rights Act "because of the property rights element, not because they got rid of the Jim Crow laws."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehil...ys-he-would-have-opposed-civil-rights-act?amp

Who was actually unaware that Paul believed banning separate water fountains was an attack on property rights? The guy has been a vile loon from virtually the first day he entered the public discourse.

https://reason.com/2021/01/11/ron-paul-says-hes-been-locked-out-of-facebook/

LOL! So the page was always up, Paul was not banned, and it was just one administrator being mistakenly locked out for a short time. CTers never seem to tire of making themselves look ridiculous.

hullo JVS,

lol.

i was about to post this myself. how did this thread get to run this many pages without anyone noticing this?

i guess if Ron Paul tweets something, its just automatically "fact"?

- IGIT

Are you kidding? Paul has been saying "taxation is theft" for decades. What happened at the Capitol was an absolutely acceptable event if one actually believes that sort of anti-government nonsense. For many Trump supporters Ron Paul was the initial gateway drug to insurrection. Fuck Ron Paul.
Yeah I was under informed on ron paul.

I had this impression he was a anti corporate repub. But Idk anymore

I don't understand why Paul was banned and it seems strange; however, there is still is lots of garbage on Facebook and the rest of the internet. It's not like there is a massive effort to wipe the internet clean of descending viewpoints. I'm guessing Paul has his own site he can publish his weekly news letter.

Who was actually unaware that Paul believed banning separate water fountains was an attack on property rights? The guy has been a vile loon from virtually the first day he entered the public discourse.

Be careful you don’t want to get censored

I don't understand why Paul was banned and it seems strange; however, there is still is lots of garbage on Facebook and the rest of the internet. It's not like there is a massive effort to wipe the internet clean of descending viewpoints. I'm guessing Paul has his own site he can publish his weekly news letter.

He wasn't..

https://reason.com/2021/01/11/ron-paul-says-hes-been-locked-out-of-facebook/

LOL! So the page was always up, Paul was not banned, and it was just one administrator being mistakenly locked out for a short time. CTers never seem to tire of making themselves look ridiculous.

Back