Romanian Deadlifts

joshetc

butthole hurts from teh gay
Reaction score
I've been thinking about adding either rack pulls or RDLs to my routine. I had a question regarding RDLs, though. Basically the only rule that is difference from deadlifts for RDLs is that you only bend your knees as much as required to get your back exactly parallel to the ground, while at the bottom of the lift. Is this correct? I've watched a couple videos, and this is basically the only difference I could observe.

no.

romanian dealifts you begin at lockout, then you pull back your hips as far as they'll go. however flaxible your hammies are is the end of your ROM. you'll feel them alot in your hamstrings the next day.

So I lift the bar, from presumably the floor. The ROM is from straight lockout to back parallel to the ground, right? I was just going from the ground, since I have to pick the weight up somehow. For multiple reps, the bar shouldn't go all the way to the ground, right? (Unless my hamstrings are flexible enough for me to do so without bending my knees, which they aren't)

Edit: I think I get it now, its all about hamstring flexibility. The knees should be kept straight, except for getting the weight from the floor, right?

Pick up the weight however you want. Stand straight up. Then lower the weight, with knees slightly bent.

Generally, a set of RDLs will start with a DL from the floor. (Only exceptions would be if you have the bar up on blocks or hanging on hooks or something. Or if you're doing RDLs as part of a barbell complex and you're already holding the bar from some other exercise -- SOHP, BORs, whatever).

You push your ass back as far as possible while maintaining a good arch in your lower back, the bar slides down the front of your body as far your hamstring flexibility allows it to go. When your ass won't go back any further, that's the end of your ROM and you bring your hips forward while flexing your glutes.

Your knees are gonna be slightly bent when you start, and they're gonna have to bend a little bit more as your ass goes back.

Don't worry about trying to get your back parallel to the ground, just focus on pushing your ass back.

I just tried with my stick, and I think I get it. After actually trying it, I realized what you're talking about with my knees having to bend a little to push my ass back. Not bending the knees = losing tightness of my lumbar. I'm gonna try these and rack pulls next week. I think RDLs will be more useful for what I want, though.

Generally one uses more weight and pretty low reps for the rackpulls and lower weight and more reps for the RDLs.

yeah, i think you're starting to understand them better. your knees are going to bend- they're just not the focal point of the movement. the movement is all about pushing dat ass back. if your torso ends up parallel to the floor when you can't move your hips back anymore that's great, and if not, that's fine too.

RDL is basically like an arched back goodmorning except for the bar hanging from your arms and not laying on your back.

RDL is basically like an arched back goodmorning except for the bar hanging from your arms and not laying on your back.

I guess this is why you see the two as either/or assistance exercises on squat days in some routines?

TS- with the RDLs the bar shouldn't travel below mid-shin.

Well, now I'm thoroughly confused. What is the difference between the RDL, and a SLDL? Ive checked out some vids on youtube, and to my untrained eye, they look very similar.

Well, now I'm thoroughly confused. What is the difference between the RDL, and a SLDL? Ive checked out some vids on youtube, and to my untrained eye, they look very similar.
SLDL your knees are stationary. your legs are stationary period. you're bending at the waist. RDL you're pushing your ass back.

SLDL your knees are stationary. your legs are stationary period. you're bending at the waist. RDL you're pushing your ass back.

Ah, I can see it in my head now, thanks for the clear-up.

They are similar one you start the movement with the weight on the ground (SLDL) and the other you start with the weight at the top (RDL).

Back