rolling with bigger, stronger and just plain better guys...

largeli

Orange Belt
Reaction score
rolled with this one dude last night and could not do a thing......he fucked me up good! we were useing open hand strikes just to practice being aware of how bad youd get drilled in a real fight when in certain "safe" bjj positions...and so the dude had me choked bad and when i was tapping he thought i was slapping and so he wrenched down harder....when he finally let up i was gagging and coughing.

So this dude was probably 6' 210 solid pounds and way more experienced then me. I respect him not for being bigger and stronger and better but for not holding back on me b/c im smaller, weaker, and less experienced. I was so frusterated last night after class, b/c this dude choked me like 3 times, and then he pulled mount and just slapped me for like 5 minutes!!! I couldnt escape.....he had a high mount with his feet under me, and his knees up in my arm pits and i couldnt buck him or tie up an arm b/c we are training no gi and the sweat made it impossible, and i wasnt strong enough to snake out.

How do you handle someone who is bigger, better, stronger then you? I was so discouraged after rolling with him that i lost all focus after that and it affected my rolling with everyone else that night......dudes i have tapped before or at least held my own with, were haveing their way with me!!! I was so exhausted from rolling with beefcake that i couldnt handle the other guys who i had been able to in the past.

This weekend im running till i puke twice a day and this beefcake is my motivation so for that i thank him, but what can i do next time?

Train twice as hard as he does. Eat more. That's about it.

Getting trapped in the high mount is my worst nightmare. If I had a personal hell it would probably be caught in a high mount and being at someone's mercy.

Try to keep his hips back when he has you mounted. Sometimes we get so focused on escaping we let ourselves get in an even worse position.

Stoic1 said:
Train twice as hard as he does. Eat more. That's about it.

yea that seems to be the only option.....i think this weeknd will consist of a lot of running, push ups and pukeing.

I mean if there was someone who was bigger/stronger, but not as good at BJJ as me then i could come up with a plan or strategy to beat him but if someone is bigger/stronger, and flat out better then you then there really is nothing you can do right? i mean theres no strategy that can overcome that right?
You know last night i was frusterated and pissed when i went home but this morning i have a whole different out look!!! Im encouraged and motivated because of how bad i hurt today....seriousely, it really hurts to swallow he choked me so hard and he is now my motivation to get better/stronger, b/c the day will come when i can hang with this dude, maybe not beat him, but at least give him a challenge and not get tapped, and that day will be way more rewarding then tapping and dominating someone who is my own size/skill level.

Well running till you puke sounds stupid. I bet you go home and hug your pillow and have a good cry. You said 6' solid 210 lbs. more expericenced than you. What's your stats?

Work on your escapes for one. Get more experience. Just keep rolling. You'll do good.

Gettin' your ass handed to you is good sometimes, it should prepare you for bad situations.
Adding strikes with BJJ changes alot about BJJ!

aaron_mag said:
Getting trapped in the high mount is my worst nightmare. If I had a personal hell it would probably be caught in a high mount and being at someone's mercy.

Try to keep his hips back when he has you mounted. Sometimes we get so focused on escaping we let ourselves get in an even worse position.

yea thats what he was telling me while he was slapping me, he kept telling me to get some space, to push his hips back but he was just too heavy and had such a solid mount!!!
Im about 5'8" 165 pounds and this guy was like 6' 210 pounds and solid!!! i mean i put my right hand on the back of his neck, and my left on his shoulder when we began and right when i felt how solid his shoulder was i was thinking "oh, great....hes gonna murder me" and he gave me one of those "your fuckin dead bro" looks. He wasnt a dick though....he just wasnt about to let me off easy though either and i like that.

2om30 said:
I bet you go home and hug your pillow and have a good cry. You said 6' solid 210 lbs. more expericenced than you. What's your stats?

naw bro that was last night....today im a new fully hurting yet motivated new man!

and im 5'8" 165 pounds probably about %12 body fat.

Just keep training with him.....you'll be amazed in about 6 months. Just keep training, don't let training become a fucking vandetta or anything. train to learn. sounds like you're on the right track. keep us posted.

If someone has mount, use your elbows to push their legs away... Keep scooting yourself up with your feet and movement while pushing down on their legs with your elbows, that way you can prevent them from getting the mount really high...

Here's a trick I learnt for rolling with people who are bigger and better than me. The first and most important thing you should do is pull guard right away. You are going to end up on your back either way, so you might as well not end up mounted immediately. Make sure to close your guard. When they start to pass, fake an orgasm. The louder the better. If you can make your eyes roll into the back of your head while your at it, all the better. Some say faking a seizure will do the trick, and it might be true some of the time, but I know that if someone had a seizure while I was rolling with them, I would at least wait to get my sub sunk in before making a big deal out of it. Anyway, so if you fake your orgasm loudly enough, your opponent will probably attempt to remove themselves from the situation. They will be disoriented to say the least. While they focus on opening your guard, grab the back of thier head and go for the old 'chin to the eye'. It works every time.

I've been in submission wrestling about 3 weeks now. I am one of the bigger guys at my gym (6'4'', 205 lbs) and get 'schooled' every class.

If rolling with guys like you describe, that out-class you and that don't let up or go easy, I just try to work on my defense and know that my conditioning will get better because of the workout. Also, try not to get too gassed being dominated. I know it may not be that easy but try not to expend too much energy doing things that don't work. If 1 or 2 bridge-outs don't work, don't keep trying.

Hopefully you won't always roll first with him every class.

In addition to the suggestions to my last post (train 2x as hard & eat more), when rolling with someone who is bigger/stronger/better than you:

Go harder and faster for longer. If your cardio is absolutely insane it is occassionally possible to beat the above mentioned individual. Sometimes you can catch them when they are tired. The trick is you have to make them tired without tiring yourself. And that is often a serious problem.

Never underestimate the power of conditioning.

Funny to watch purple belts who haven't been training for a few months come back and get smashed by blue belts who have.

largeli said:
yea thats what he was telling me while he was slapping me, he kept telling me to get some space, to push his hips back but he was just too heavy and had such a solid mount!!!

Think about moving your body instead of his. Much less tiring.

When rolling somebody bigger do what BJJ Black Belt and reporter, Kid Peligro does. " Sing to yourself : 'Staying Alive' by the BeeGees. When he tries to pass guard, don't kill yourself trying to stop it, cause you can't, just sing staying alive and really try to prevent any submissions. If he's got the mount, fine, let him, just stay alive. Ha Ha Ha Stayin' AAALLLLIIIIIIIVVVE!"

Or, try to catch him when he's tired, you won't win , but you die either. Maybe after he man-handles you you might ask him nicely if he wouldn't mind giving you side-control or the mount and see if you can keep the position or get an even better one. Make sure you tell him that you won't try to tap him, but he can tap you, that way you can work your game on a bigger better guy, and he can practice getting out of jams. Everybody wins, and you will see improvement.

I honestly think it does everyone good to get owned on the mat every now and then, helps keep things in perspective.

For example last night I sparred with a lad from my BJJ class who does freestyle kickboxing as well, anyway we put the sparring gloves on, I'd like to think i'm no slouch with the average guy at standup(meaning untrained people), but going againsed someone who's worked at his striking for years - well surfice to say I got my arse handed back to me on a silver platter, the way I see it this is a good thing - because now I know a big weakness of mine and I can work on it.

All we can ever do to improve is train hard and be patient, Rome wasn't built in a day as the saying goes.

JUst keep fighting. It's been said a few times here, but the ideal class breakdown is:

- People who hand your arse to you on a porcelain plate with pictures of cute bunnies on.
- People you have a 50/50 fight with.
- People you dominate so much you can try stupid tricksy stuff you'd not dare to do on the above two categories.

Sounds like this chap is the first type, so be glad. Your sub defence will get dragged up quicker this way.

That's how you learn and get better, it's a good thing. I went through a lot of trouble finding an instructor that can kick my ass.

thanks for all the info guys! Oh and about my throat....anyone ever get choked so hard that it realy hurts to swallow the next day? it hurts when i raise my voice, swallow, clear my throat etc.

Anyways for now i will work on sub defense/escapes, and cardio. And i will definitely seek this dude out every chance i can and use him as a point of reference to guage my progress.

Stop being a whiny little b*tch and take your beating like a man!!!

Just kidding. It is frustrating and it's a little intimidating when you are rolling with people that mop the floor with you. It happens to everyone (well almost everyone), so don't take it personally. Don't beat yourself up over it and compound the problem. This is supposed to happen while you are learning. I know it's hard to take.

But it's just training, after all, it wasn't a real fight, the guy was bigger and badder than you, and what can you realistically expect out of yourself? Probably not much more than you gave.

You need to control your inner voice that is telling you unrealistic and negative things. You're still learning and training to get better.

That is all. Now go train.

Back