rolling with bigger, stronger and just plain better guys...

largeli said:
.... and he gave me one of those "your fuckin dead bro" looks.

BWHAHAHAHAHA.

Damn, do I know that look. My brother gives em to me when we roll, hes a flippin monster.

I always try to find the best guy in the class to roll with first "cause it just gets easier after that. He's easy to find too - the best guy usually goes in the top right hand corner and stays on the mats throughout while everyone else revolves around him.
After that, I hunt the best guys as much as possible - it amazes me when I see a purple or even a brown sitting with no-one to spar. I'm straight in there.
Unfortunately, I think I've had more people get better than me (who I used to dominate) than the other way round (although there have been a few).
Anyway, good luck getting better than this guy!

dude...you guys my throat still hurts! Been doing mad cardio daily but havent been back to class b/c im scared that i really f*cked something up in my throat! Went to the doc bouta week ago and she said it was a strained muscle and just to take 2 aleve twice a day and ice it for a week and see how it feels.....it feels the same. Anyone know what i coulda possibly done to myself...or what the dude who choked me did, rather? I scheduled another appointment for tomorrow to see another doc, b/c to me it really doesnt feel like its in the muscle but in/on my adams apple. Its tender to the touch on the left side, and during the day its pretty bearable, just kinda annoying when i swallow, but when i sneeze or clear my throat it feels like a guitar string is snapping on the side of my adams apple.

largeli said:
rolled with this one dude last night and could not do a thing......he fucked me up good! we were useing open hand strikes just to practice being aware of how bad youd get drilled in a real fight when in certain "safe" bjj positions...and so the dude had me choked bad and when i was tapping he thought i was slapping and so he wrenched down harder....when he finally let up i was gagging and coughing.

So this dude was probably 6' 210 solid pounds and way more experienced then me. I respect him not for being bigger and stronger and better but for not holding back on me b/c im smaller, weaker, and less experienced. I was so frusterated last night after class, b/c this dude choked me like 3 times, and then he pulled mount and just slapped me for like 5 minutes!!! I couldnt escape.....he had a high mount with his feet under me, and his knees up in my arm pits and i couldnt buck him or tie up an arm b/c we are training no gi and the sweat made it impossible, and i wasnt strong enough to snake out.

How do you handle someone who is bigger, better, stronger then you? I was so discouraged after rolling with him that i lost all focus after that and it affected my rolling with everyone else that night......dudes i have tapped before or at least held my own with, were haveing their way with me!!! I was so exhausted from rolling with beefcake that i couldnt handle the other guys who i had been able to in the past.

This weekend im running till i puke twice a day and this beefcake is my motivation so for that i thank him, but what can i do next time?

You might think you're the only one but this happens to all of us. The only way to handle this is just to never give up, and train harder if you need to. I bet the guy that you trained with had the same thing happen to him by someone also.

largeli said:
dude...you guys my throat still hurts! Been doing mad cardio daily but havent been back to class b/c im scared that i really f*cked something up in my throat! Went to the doc bouta week ago and she said it was a strained muscle and just to take 2 aleve twice a day and ice it for a week and see how it feels.....it feels the same. Anyone know what i coulda possibly done to myself...or what the dude who choked me did, rather? I scheduled another appointment for tomorrow to see another doc, b/c to me it really doesnt feel like its in the muscle but in/on my adams apple. Its tender to the touch on the left side, and during the day its pretty bearable, just kinda annoying when i swallow, but when i sneeze or clear my throat it feels like a guitar string is snapping on the side of my adams apple.

I think your doctor is right, no need to panic. Just rest a few days and start training next week.

largeli said:
thanks for all the info guys! Oh and about my throat....anyone ever get choked so hard that it realy hurts to swallow the next day? it hurts when i raise my voice, swallow, clear my throat etc.
Oh yeah, about once a month. To be honest, it happens more often from learning chokes and getting choked again and again all night then from rolling.

As for getting your ass handed to you, that happens to me all the time. :) It's 100 degress out and my gym isn't much cooler. I used to have a bunch of guys I could beat but now only the most dedicated guys are showing up. I am even with one guy (smaller blue belt) but the rest can pretty much do anything they want with me. It keeps me humble. :)

Back