Roger Huerta/Melvin Guillard sparring

great stuff, would u mind if i put this into the boxing forum just to get their thoughts.

great stuff, would u mind if i put this into the boxing forum just to get their thoughts.

I don't mind at all. I didn't originally upload it. I just reposted it so do what you want with it.

Melvin G. is a pretty good boxer

Melvin is a good friend of mine. Melvin was the Louisiana state kickboxing champion. He did fight Huerta and beat him by decision. Melvin is a good fighter with a wrestling background but unless he learns how to defend against JJ then he is not going to make it very far in MMA. The reason most people do not stay with MT is that it does not pay enough. MMA is where the money is.

Melvin's boxing and kickboxing are both excellent. Given his lack (despite his wrestling background) of grappling ability maybe he should give up MMA and just box.

Great video.

excellent, his boxing isn't excellent; but its pretty good considering the time he has put into it, imo; but he showed he could have potential, as for being a ft boxer, i don't think so. Not at this stage, i just don't think he could hang; now if he was boxing mma guys, sure..but real boxers nahhhhhhhhhh. His game has too many holes in it off and def.

but as for mma cats, yeah he has pretty nice hands and he is worlds better than mr huerta, who in my opinion is just a pressure/volume guy, i was impressed by huerta's chin and willingness to mix it up..not much else though.

if melvin didn't fight in spots it wouldn't been close, but melvin does consistently move his hands; an that is where huerta got his work in, when melvin would sit back and start going into potshot or leadshot mode, instead of using combos and/or setting the table w/the jab and following up. When he did that huerta couldn't touch him; but he didn't do that enough

all this IMO, based on what i have seen and been around which is alot of pro/high level amateur boxers; im still a fan and think he can be a force if he shores up his ground game, at least make it functional enough where he can def subs eff and not just hold on. In mma his handspeed/power and exp is just too much for most people on the feet in lw or welter; the dude is that dynamic, but that lack of submission offense and def cost him everytime. He should have beaten neer and clementi, but his lack of groundskills cost him as it always has.

Melvin is a good friend of mine. Melvin was the Louisiana state kickboxing champion. He did fight Huerta and beat him by decision. Melvin is a good fighter with a wrestling background but unless he learns how to defend against JJ then he is not going to make it very far in MMA. The reason most people do not stay with MT is that it does not pay enough. MMA is where the money is.

He fought Huerta covered head-to-toe in some KY Jelly like substance akin to frigging teflon juice and Roger basically gassed trying to mount any kind of takedown or grappling game. This AFTER the ref made Melvin's corner wipe him down with a towel.

There are gifs around of Roger shooting on Melvin and then literally stopping and staring at his hands in disbelief at the gunk on them.

That's weird considering they fought each other and Melvin's win was overturned into a NC (supposed substance on him during fight making it difficult for Roger to grip him)

Im very impressed with Guillards handspeed. But both took way too many shots.

I don't know what they were trying to work on, but it sure wasn't defense. They might've been tired or working on some kind of technique, but I thought it would be better.

Melvin looks like he has a decent jab. He really should use it more.

I don't know what they were trying to work on, but it sure wasn't defense. They might've been tired or working on some kind of technique, but I thought it would be better.

Melvin looks like he has a decent jab. He really should use it more.

Yeah, what the hell was with the lack of keeping their hands up? Was the sparring session intended to see who could get punched in the face more? I'm confused! :icon_lol:

I saw no slipping, barely any parrying, not a great deal of punching to the body or feints, etc. Huerta seemed to drop his left hand every time he threw a combination. They are decent but both could use some fine tuning.

Thanks for the vid. I enjoy watching behind the scenes stuff like this. They really just beat the hell out of each other. Huerta started taking a lot of punishment there at the end.

Could Huerta stand any taller? Also the way he stands makes him open for shots to the stomach which Melvin lands.

Thanks for the vid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back