Roger gracie vs. Jacare

can anyone tell me why jacare beat roger gracie in the 2004 mundials when, i think, roger controlled the majority of the fight and damaged Jacare's arm pretty badly, so much so, he had it in a self-made sling(with his gi) and fought the end of the fight running away from roger?

the reason why im asking is, the video of the fight i saw it never showed the decision, but then i read on the ADCC website that "despite roger damaging jacare's arm, jacare managed to pull a decision victory..."

can anyone tell me how many times these 2 fought and the outcome of each fight please.

Jacare took Roger's back early in the match. He was up on points.

true he got his back, but other than that, i think the majority of the match was controlled and pressed by roger with more submission attempts, armbar, kneebar.

p.s/

everybody keeps talking about sambo leg locks are the shit. can anyone provide video/link so i can see what this whole business is about.

he was up on points at the end of the match, there fore he won.

If there is no actual submission, the match is determined solely by the point score.

Submission attempts only matter if the score is tied. Jacare was up on points, so Roger's submission attempts did not matter. Jacare wins based on his higher point score.

the ref should have stopped that though, if someones get's choked out he loses, why should you win when youre arm just got broken??

spiderguardman said:
the ref should have stopped that though, if someones get's choked out he loses, why should you win when youre arm just got broken??

What the ref should have done was disqualified or deducted points for Jacare because he stalled for at least a minute just running around the mat after he broke his arm.

Dr. BadAss said:
What the ref should have done was disqualified or deducted points for Jacare because he stalled for at least a minute just running around the mat after he broke his arm.

There was a rule in that tournament where fighters are to be disqualified for runing away from the fight. Jacare is a damn good fighter, but should have been DQ'd in that fight.

Blame the ref.

Jacare got a takedown and took Roger's back. They gave Roger 2 points when Jacare was running away at the end of the match, which means he still lost 4-2.

Cmasters said:
true he got his back, but other than that, i think the majority of the match was controlled and pressed by roger with more submission attempts, armbar, kneebar.

p.s/

everybody keeps talking about sambo leg locks are the shit. can anyone provide video/link so i can see what this whole business is about.
Roger Gracie did control the majority of the fight, but Jacare had more points. If anyone has any grappling knowledge, you'd know that points = victory.

The Ref said that he was about to DQ Jacare but then time was called. I think he should have DQed him after the bell, can't they do that? We all know who really won.

haha at this thread..
Jacare won, if he is able to sit through an armbar without tapping to win a tournament on points.. more power to him.

To me, my arm is worth more than a medal.

I would have tapped. Roger deserved to win, but life isnt fair.

It's interesting that Jacare has won in controversial fashion two times against Roger at the Mundials, last year after he got armbarred and ran away and this year when Roger tripped as the went out of the area Jacare still got the points for a takedownn and stalled to victory, however Roger's win at ADCC against Jacare left no doubts. Is Jacare too cautious against Roger in the gi?

These 2 have such an awesome rivalry going.

It makes me look forward to Grappling Tournaments knowing these 2 will probably end up fighting each other.

Superbeast said:
Is Jacare too cautious against Roger in the gi?

I think so. Jacare is an awesome player and I'm sure he could do great against Roger if he just went out there and gave it his full 100%.

Jacare was up four to zero when Roger armbarred him. Roger didn't snap his arm and let go; he kept cranking it while Jacare kept trying escapes and eventually got out. The ref gave Roger two points for Jacare stalling, but Roger was still unable to take down or pull guard to sweep or submit a one-armed man.

fatherdog said:
Jacare was up four to zero when Roger armbarred him. Roger didn't snap his arm and let go; he kept cranking it while Jacare kept trying escapes and eventually got out. The ref gave Roger two points for Jacare stalling, but Roger was still unable to take down or pull guard to sweep or submit a one-armed man.

It's hard to submit somebody who's running away from you.

Back