Roger gracie vs. Jacare

Stooge said:
It's hard to submit somebody who's running away from you.

Running or not, if you can't take down or even successfully pull guard on a one-armed man, possibly you don't deserve to beat him.

thier best match was the brown belt absolutes, it was action all the way through with roger just barely winning.

Roger is a better player in my opinion. Thats not to take away from Jacare at all he is amazing.
But Jacare seems to slip by to victory with him and roger wins outright and clean.

plus theres not many people who can say "I broke jacares arm"

I havent seen all the match ups, but 3.

The infamous broken arm, AbuDhabi 2003 and Adcc 2005

Cmasters said:
true he got his back, but other than that, i think the majority of the match was controlled and pressed by roger with more submission attempts, armbar, kneebar.

p.s/

everybody keeps talking about sambo leg locks are the shit. can anyone provide video/link so i can see what this whole business is about.

You can't be serious..?? He won on points dude, it was explained to you above. I don't care if Roger summoned the power of Kel Thuzaud and attempted the forbidden blind dragon rear sexy crank, he had 2 and jaca had 4. Case closed.

How did their absolute brown belt match progress?
Was it ended on points or sub?
What about ADCC 2003?

Jacare is one of my favorites. But I don't think there is any way that takedown should have counted against Roger in this year's mundial's (Brazil world championship's). Certainly the most definitive of there fights was Roger choking him out in Abu Dhabi this year. I't seems Jacare is alwas cautious and weary of Roger.
Roger's game is all fundemenatal's and technique, as is to be expected with Gracie Barra (arguably the the best team in grappling). Jacare is much more athletic and prefers the top position. I think where Jacare has trouble with Roger, is with getting top. I think if Roger really pushed it and went balls to the wall, he would catch Jacare again. Either way this will always be a very close wery cautious fight, not the most exciting.

Hard to say who is better, yeah Roger has the more convicing win, but he's got a bit of weight on Jacare too. They are both great players and I'd love to be a quarter as good as either one.

Ybot said:
Hard to say who is better, yeah Roger has the more convicing win, but he's got a bit of weight on Jacare too.
Exactly. I would rate them in the top 4 poun 4 pound just like this: 1) Marcelo Garcia
2) Leo Viera
3) Jacare
4) Roger Gracie

theyre both phenomenal athletes. almost equal in the way each ones strengths match the others weakenss. a real "yin yang feel" when the roll. I like jacare's game more but will concede that in 10 matches roger would have 6

crazy to think your only competition is one other guy in the world.. and thats it.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FUYwlxHjkMA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FUYwlxHjkMA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I know I'm late, but I just watched this match and was amazed. This clip is the second part of the match. Roger clearly breaks Jacare's arm with a hanging armbar and without tapping, Jacare shakes him off after falling down.

I'm sorry if this had been posted, but I think this is an important lesson to those who are competing. If you're injured, but are up on points.. RUN! Who cares if it's "cowardly"? There is no way that you can win with a brroken arm, unless you preserve your points lead.

If you read the comments on the video, people argue that Jacare should be DQed for running. Think about it... your arm is broken do you have many other options..

Very well could have been a DQ but at the same time.... Roger can't take a uy down with only one arm????? that kinda sucks.

ttt...roger owns him when all the rules are in the mix...even still jacare is a beast...him and couture was a clinic in and of itself!!!

well you know what they say, the only self defese art worth a damm (or a medal) is track and field.

well you know what they say, the only self defese art worth a damm (or a medal) is track and field.

Wtf does this have to do with the thread? Most guys wouldn't be able to continue with a broken arm.

true he got his back, but other than that, i think the majority of the match was controlled and pressed by roger with more submission attempts, armbar, kneebar.

p.s/

everybody keeps talking about sambo leg locks are the shit. can anyone provide video/link so i can see what this whole business is about.

BJJ isn't MMA, so in the absence of a submission, there's a fairly well established points system in the sport. In ADCC, there are no points for submission attempts, so those are irrelevant, but taking the back gave Jacare points which resulted in his victory. "Controlling" the bout is determined through points, and damage sustained does not factor in a decision.

Back