• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Roger Gracie vs Comprido (video)

This video makes me immeasurably happy. I hope Roger returns to competition 100%.

The only thing that could make it even better if somehow Jacare put on a gi again but that's a pipe dream at this point :(

damn, roger is unstoppable with that sleeve drag. i mean he does that same move every time anyone touches his gi in the guard, they all know it's coming and he does it anyway. insane.

It's almost unstoppable. My coach is huge on getting to the side in closed guard like that (shameless plug: he released a DVD on it you can get here ), it's very hard to stop the transition without posturing up which leaves you open to situp sweeps, and once the position is locked in you aren't going anywhere. It was actually really funny for me to watch, because that exact sequence of closed guard -> side guard -> sweep to mount -> armbar my left arm is something my coach has hit on me probably 100 times. I don't know if it's specific to Gracie Barra or not, but it's a really, really good guard system.

After watching a breakdown of his arm drag I've had so much more success when I go for it and it's my primary offense when they're good at breaking my collar grip.

Share please - I want to do this

In watching those videos, I have come to realize I don't really know how to do closed guard. Man. There's a lot to learn...

That looked...uncomfortable

In watching those videos, I have come to realize I don't really know how to do closed guard. Man. There's a lot to learn...

You're in Ohio. Next time Relson comes through one of his academies, go. His closed guard is ridiculous. You'll feel like a retard in his guard.

Those old breakdowns of Rogers game by Dan did a whole lot for me, especially the ones on mount and how to pressure pass through half guard, which is still probably my highest percentage pass.

You're in Ohio. Next time Relson comes through one of his academies, go. His closed guard is ridiculous. You'll feel like a retard in his guard.

Oh, I get whallopped plenty from good closed guards, don't worry about that haha - both our blackbelts regularly armdrag me! I want to do it too

It was like watching a python slowly swallow and digest a baby dear.

Back