• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rocky Marciano or Floyd Mayweather Jr. - Who had the better career?

Who had the better career?

• Total voters
Marciano was underrated in his own time, for the same reason all you dumb arses underate him now. To small to slow and "crude" technique.
I see a fighter that had ridiculous power, amazing stamina and closed the gap better than anybody I have ever seen. Have any of you even watched him fight? I don't think so. He was one frightening individual.

Marciano was underrated in his own time, for the same reason all you dumb arses underate him now. To small to slow and "crude" technique.
I see a fighter that had ridiculous power, amazing stamina and closed the gap better than anybody I have ever seen. Have any of you even watched him fight? I don't think so. He was one frightening individual.

Most boxing fans happen to have watched some of his fights, and they may disagree with you while still finding him very good.

Most boxing fans happen to have watched some of his fights, and yes, he was very good.
Some people about these parts favour warde over Marciano. I find that both hilarious and offensive. His hit and hold tactics would get him butchered by rocky. Only people that gave Marciano grief had genuine firepower.

Some people about these parts favour warde over Marciano. I find that both hilarious and offensive. His hit and hold tactics would get him butchered by rocky. Only people that gave Marciano grief had genuine firepower.

Yup.

Sportsmen from the 50s would dominate modern day athletes.

Yeah, that’s what makes Marciano’s time specific : the US boxing talent pool was usually very deep, but WW2’s deaths and injuries (on top of the years guys in their prime spent away from boxing) likely narrowed it significantly.

Comparing eras is complex as hell.

Joe Louis's entire reign was DURING WW2. Muhammad alis early reign was during and
after the Vietnam war.

A huge chunk of Floyd's career took place during the Iraq war PLUS the dominance of football and basketball etc over boxing. So to say that marciano's era is somehow lesser because of ww2 doesn't work for me

Joe Louis's entire reign was DURING WW2. Muhammad alis early reign was during and
after the Vietnam war.

A huge chunk of Floyd's career took place during the Iraq war PLUS the dominance of football and basketball etc over boxing. So to say that marciano's era is somehow lesser because of ww2 doesn't work for me

Well, it doesn't work for you. WW2 was still a tad more involving (and hurting) than the Iraq war. Also, I kind of doubt that successful basketball and football players would rather have competed between 130 and 154 pounds in boxing when it paid more, so the impact on Floyd's competition is somehow limited.

As I said before : comparing eras is complex as hell.

Last edited:
this question is an insult to floyd. floyd DOMINATED five weight classes...FIVE! over a 20 year period. He beat the best in FIVE weight classes without a single loss. Marciano beat a buncha old fighters who were mostly LHs. IMO, marciano doesn't even qualify as a "great" fighter.

Something tells me if they were the same size, Rocky would be his worst nightmare.

Well, it doesn't work for you. WW2 was still a tad more involving (and hurting) than the Iraq war. Also, I kind of doubt that successful basketball and football players would rather have competed between 130 and 154 pounds in boxing when it paid more, so the impact on Floyd's competition is somehow limited.

As I said before : comparing eras is complex as hell.

Marciano didnt fight during ww2. All I'm saying is this...its not fair to assume that some hypothetical fighter was in the military that could've beaten marciano when nobody brings up ww2 when talking about other greats of the same era such as Louis or Robinson. By that logic the effects of ww2 go way beyond marcianos era even into today so why is marciano being singled out here? I just don't think it's fair.

this question is an insult to floyd. floyd DOMINATED five weight classes...FIVE! over a 20 year period. He beat the best in FIVE weight classes without a single loss. Marciano beat a buncha old fighters who were mostly LHs. IMO, marciano doesn't even qualify as a "great" fighter.

In the 50's it would have been 1 weight class (147) that he dominated, though, because a lot of the others didn't exist, or he was not at for very long.

Something tells me if they were the same size, Rocky would be his worst nightmare.
Yep. Nobody held rocky off for long. Maidana gave Floyd a few problems, Marciano is a whole different animal. His left rip/uppercut to the body is one of the sneakiest punches I have ever seen.

Yep. Nobody held rocky off for long. Maidana gave Floyd a few problems, Marciano is a whole different animal. His left rip/uppercut to the body is one of the sneakiest punches I have ever seen.
charles beat marciano in the first fight and got robbed...walcott was the oldest man ever to hold the title and dropped rocky and was handing him his ass until rocky landed the haymaker in rd 13

In the 50's it would have been 1 weight class (147) that he dominated, though, because a lot of the others didn't exist, or he was not at for very long.
marciano was in ONE weight class. floyd was in 5 and floyd beat the best fighters in all weight classes he was in.

marciano was in ONE weight class. floyd was in 5 and floyd beat the best fighters in all weight classes he was in.

Yes. HW. Hagler was in 1, too, and is an ATG. Why does winning belts in other classes matter more to you than dominating 1 for a while? Sometimes floating through weight classes means you get to choose and use timing and matchmaking to suit your belts that you fight for. At 1 weight class with 1 belt, you have to take on all contenders.

charles beat marciano in the first fight and got robbed...walcott was the oldest man ever to hold the title and dropped rocky and was handing him his ass until rocky landed the haymaker in rd 13

But he DIDN'T beat Marciano in the first fight. The record shows, and thrn Charles got demolished in the rematch.

Jersey was winning until he wasn't? Not a good argument for saying Rocky isn't a winner. Jersey Joe got blown out by a tight right hand he wasn't expecting. Rocky switched how he threw the right hand. Good work, Rocko. Being knocked down doesn't matter if you win. Being knocked out matters.

Back