Robert Whittaker reminded me of Cody no Brain.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by 7.62x39, Oct 9, 2019 at 4:18 PM.

1. 7.62x39

7.62x39 Green Belt

Instead of blocking Israel's left hook during the exchange, he got greedy and threw a right and got dropped by Israel's left.

Similar thing happen with TJ vs Cody 1

2. Axis

Axis God bless America

No, Whittaker's gameplan was actually the right one to use. He was never going to have any success being "patient" on the outside and trading jabs with a far more skilled kickboxer who has a reach advantage of 6.5 inches.

Blitzing and throwing looping shots that come from weird angles, followed by a disguised head kick was appropriate, but Israel's defense for it was textbook.

3. linvillegorge

linvillegorge Silver Belt

Cody is a totally different situation. That dude showed me in that Cruz fight he has ELITE skills. Iffy chin, but elite skills. Dude is just hot headed and gets baited into slugfests that he's not equipped to win. In any slugfest, the safest bet is on the better chin.

Whittaker is a good fighter but he's never stuck me as a guy with elite skill. He's a combo of good skill, good power, good chin, and elite recovery and heart. He's elite for sure, but Neck Tats honestly could've been an all-timer.

4. magicmarker

magicmarker Brown Belt

Spamming lunging overhand rights against a counter puncher is strategically very questionable at best.

Regardless of Izzy’s length he was the challenger, and Robert should have made him come to him. Reach be damned, most counterpunchers don’t enjoy initiating all the action. That (and body punches) are what he should have done more of. jmo

5. magicmarker

magicmarker Brown Belt

Agree, especially about Cody.

ThaiSexPills and linvillegorge like this.
  6. Filter909

Filter909 Blue Belt

He reminded me of Brunson vs Whittaker. Gotta feel him out, feint, threaten the takedown, save enough juice for the championship rounds if they come. But what do I know?

Erratic likes this.
  7. 7.62x39

7.62x39 Green Belt

i rewatched it again and again. i wondered why Whittaker never threw a hook to Israel's ribs. That right hook whittaker threw before he got dropped would have easily dropped israel if he hit his ribs..

8. bubbleboyjones

bubbleboyjones Belt Purple

[​IMG]
    God bless Israel

Mixfight likes this.
  9. Franklin U.

Franklin U. Gold Belt

Agsin - validation of this being thee most unforgiving game. Before last week , Whitaker was on the receiving end of these lofty labels . Now ( as I'm not surprised), fans taking turns taking a dump on the aussie.

Bend NvR Break and Erratic like this.
  10. Lando

Lando Green Belt

Whittaker fought how he always fought.

ussf18e and helltoupee like this.
  11. Erratic

Erratic Leafy Greens, Vitamin C, Hard Work, ALL NATURAL

Plus in round 1 , izzy didn't do much at all with his range, no leg kicks, Rob was leg kicking him and had the round won, then got dropped with good shot and his eyes rolled back and then obviously Izzy took the round back.. but I think he got so rocked from that shot that he just fought a bit more stupid than usual. Rob was the champ, he cant lose the fight by decision unless someone takes it from him semi convincingly, but yet he fought like the challenger and his chin couldn't handle it this time.

magicmarker and HI SCOTT NEWMAN like this.
  12. UraharaTaicho

UraharaTaicho Yellow Belt

Nah that gameplan was horrible. Should have at least finished with low kicks rather than spamming head kicks, take some of his movement away. He really should have timed a shot in as well and had Israel thinking about a whole range of things instead of almost exclusively head strikes. Rob was right to stay in Israel's face but he didn't even clinch or push him up against the fence, anything to make it ugly would have been more successful than entering in a straight kickboxing battle.

13. Chart69r

Chart69r Blue Belt

It was focused on the blitz to initiate, should have been blitzing to counter, going to the body, teeping the legs and at least make the threat of a takedown.

Erratic likes this.
  14. HI SCOTT NEWMAN

HI SCOTT NEWMAN Steel Belt Cat ✔

Cody is a meathead. Whittaker is not at all, he is a likable person. Their skills are different but I think Whittaker was too slow for Adesanya and Adesanya is so accurate, I was surprised Whittaker didn't try to do any wrestling, not even one shot, I think if he got a rematch he will mix in more wrestling.

Erratic likes this.
  15. rjmbrd

rjmbrd Gold Belt

Quick index check:

- no clinching
    - no TD attempts
    - no TD fakes
    - minimal bodywork
    - minimal leg kicks

- spammed looping punches
    - routinely got out of position

This is a YOLO game plan that gave Izzy openings to counter cleanly and didn't create much variability of attack. He looked predictable and spammy, emotional instead of slick.

16. Portland8242

Portland8242 Brown Belt

Santos' game plan vs Jones is what he should have tried to replicate.

ATT's gameplanning is 2nd to none.

CaesarSinclair34 likes this.
  17. hypocalking

hypocalking Gold Belt

You forget that literally Faber, TJ and Benavidez all trained with Cody and he was given the blue print to beat him. He's not that intelligent of a person. You're giving him way too much credit.

18. magicmarker

magicmarker Brown Belt

100%

He was always leaning back but didn’t show great footwork to get out of range and was leaving his body wide open. His head movement was great but his body was right there for the taking the whole time.

Qays Stetkevich likes this.
  19. Qays Stetkevich

Qays Stetkevich White Belt

Israel was constantly leaning way back, often with feet planted and parallel, to dodge Rob's repetitive looping bombs. Which is what I would do too given that kind of height/reach advantage. But why in the hell didn't Whittaker go to the body? He could have really ripped into him. I kept hearing about Rob's great "fight iq"... but going to the body on a rangy fighter that keeps leaning back is textbook.

Guy LeDouche and magicmarker like this.
  20. Qays Stetkevich

Qays Stetkevich White Belt

Haha, your post literally came up as I was typing mine out. Dead-on.

magicmarker likes this.