Robert Whittaker appreciation thread

I am still shocked over how quickly Israel was able to finish him. I expected Rob to give Izzy, by far, his toughest test up to that date.

Honestly I was not shocked at all, I called it (was still devastating to see it live though don't get me wrong ha ha)

Rob is the best ambassador for the sport of MMA since GSP. Carries himself like the classiest of dudes, has shown tremendous improvement over the years, has amazing wrestling: I was looking at the stats prior to his match on Saturday, he had an 84% TD defense rate, and this guy fought Romero twice (and won both fights). The guy's speed is otherworldly, his movement is stellar but he nonetheless takes crazy chances and goes for the finish, he's got a solid chin, great combos, and timing that honestly is about just as good as that of any fighter we've ever seen in the octagon....Anderson Silva and Conor McGregor included.

My favourite active fighter, honestly. And just an all around awesome character.

I am still shocked over how quickly Israel was able to finish him. I expected Rob to give Izzy, by far, his toughest test up to that date.
He had a kamikaze type of gameplan. He pushed forward constantly and went for the kill, and got countered big time. He said he drew inspiration from Gastelum's moments of success against Izzy. Weird idea.

I think a rematch would be a much more interesting fight, to be honest. Patience and movement would be key. Whittaker mostly had success with kicks to the legs. He also threw a shit ton of head kicks, and they all missed. He's got this great combo that ends with a head kick, and it usually does wonders, but Adesanya is too tall, and his movement is too good. I think Whittaker can make the necessary adjustments. I think Izzy remains a nightmare matchup for him, but I wouldn't write Whittaker off in a rematch.

You don’t need appreciation threads for fighters who are already loved. Rob has no haters. Appreciation threads only work for controversial fighters e.g: Conor McGregor appreciation thread.

In the cage he's a tactical savage. In interviews, he's so grounded, so cerebral, so congenial. When he streams playing games, he's so well-humored, and self-deprecating. None of the toxic chat shit can touch him. Just bounces off.

He's the fucking best.

I fucking love Bobby but I don’t think he has anything for Izzy. He tends to get in his own head quite a lot. He’s talked openly about the stressful nature of the biz and how it effects him.

I fucking love Bobby but I don’t think he has anything for Izzy. He tends to get in his own head quite a lot. He’s talked openly about the stressful nature of the biz and how it effects him.
It didnt effect him last night

It didnt effect him last night

Yeah. Kelvin, Till and Cannonier aren’t Izzy though. It’ll be tough overcoming the guy who KO’d you twice in one fight when you’re already prone to stressing TF out.

No hate on Bobby though. Nothing would make me happier than to see him as champ again.

Rob came from WW and had to face a murderer's row to get a title shot, always the underdog. And even now he's facing the killers. The man has no fear.

He had a kamikaze type of gameplan. He pushed forward constantly and went for the kill, and got countered big time. He said he drew inspiration from Gastelum's moments of success against Izzy. Weird idea.

I think a rematch would be a much more interesting fight, to be honest. Patience and movement would be key. Whittaker mostly had success with kicks to the legs. He also threw a shit ton of head kicks, and they all missed. He's got this great combo that ends with a head kick, and it usually does wonders, but Adesanya is too tall, and his movement is too good. I think Whittaker can make the necessary adjustments. I think Izzy remains a nightmare matchup for him, but I wouldn't write Whittaker off in a rematch.

The only way Rob beats Izzy is if he can find success with a takedown and wrestling-heavy gameplan. There's no way he wins a kick boxing match with Adesanya. No amount of "adjustments" will achieve that end.

The only way Rob beats Izzy is if he can find success with a takedown and wrestling-heavy gameplan. There's no way he wins a kick boxing match with Adesanya. No amount of "adjustments" will achieve that end.
He sure needs to mix things up and make Adesanya worried about grappling. That was implied in "necessary adjustments". But also...leg kicks.

In the cage he's a tactical savage. In interviews, he's so grounded, so cerebral, so congenial. When he streams playing games, he's so well-humored, and self-deprecating. None of the toxic chat shit can touch him. Just bounces off.

He's the fucking best.
Summed it up perfectly there! He just shakes off any kind of trash talk directed to him, and laughs it off if it's actually inventive and funny.

Let me start by saying, I might be the biggest Israel Adesanya fan out there and I will never hide that...

That being said, I wouldn't mind if this man dethrones him. Why? Well, it is very simple. Robert Whittaker is a prime model of what a MMA fighter should be, an athlete skilled in every possible combat style, capable of mixing it all together. It is such a joy to watch him fight, be it his movement and diverse array of weapons he is capable of using on his feet, or his underrated grappling game (it would be nice to see it being used more in an offensive manner, like in his last fight). His iq growth has been outstanding as well. He is calculated more than ever and he just entered his prime. No matter what happens in the rematch, there is no one close to Robert in that middleweight division, besides champion himself. He may lose again, but does he have the tools needed to defeat Israel Adesanya? I firmly believe that he does and that now is the time he can execute the plan need to win.

Also, he looks like a great dude all-round! Reaper bless!

robert-whittaker-ufc-223-backstage-interview.jpg

P.S. It is so sad when you love both guys that are fighting for the title...
I am probably the biggest Whittaker fan out there but I am definitely rooting for Adesanya to win.

Something about his style just makes me want him to beat even guys I am the biggest fan of!

Likeable fighter and good guy.

Don't see him winning the title again with Izzy coming back, but will be a top contender for the rest of his prime.

Back