RNC vs Lapel Choke

As a wrestling guy I see opportunities for half-nelsons and such a lot more often, so I'm a big fan of the single-wing choke, as it seems to be funnily named.

I find myself using it more and more lately (not over the lapel choke) if I am not positioned well to get the bottom side pull (does that make sense?)

The N in RNC refers to naked, and that means a choke that can be applied without a gi. If you have the gi, you do the gi choke. Simple like that.

The N in RNC refers to naked, and that means a choke that can be applied without a gi. If you have the gi, you do the gi choke. Simple like that.

That's a good rule, but the naked/hadaka just means you aren't using the fabric of the gi or any lapels/collars/sleeves/etc to do the choke. It doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't do it with a gi on. If you do a Mata Leao/RNC with a gi on, you are still just using your ams to choke, so it's still a naked choke. The "naked" doesn't imply gi or no-gi.

Sorry I should have been more clear in my explanation. Well the naked means you don't use the gi to do it. Of course you can go RNC while rolling w/ gi, but you can't do it the other way around.

Sorry I should have been more clear in my explanation. Well the naked means you don't use the gi to do it. Of course you can go RNC while rolling w/ gi, but you can't do it the other way around.

ok...

In four plus years of training I think I've gotten the RNC like twice with the gi. But I've gotten countless gi chokes.

I do like a good RNC, however Bow and Arrow is my got to choke from the back. I especially like a looser grip and getting my knee behind the neck. Alot stronger.

Back