Rizin's lack of media coverage.

TrevorRoss

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anybody notice the don't care attitude displayed at sherdog and other media outlets?

It's in Japan, while a home market event is going on. Most of the fights are crap anyway.

Besides, Sherdog cares less and less about anything outside the U.S. The coverage for international events dried up years ago.

It is really odd that they haven't even done a write-up on the first day's results.

Ironically watching the last event pretty much reinvigorated my interest in mma. MMA landscape is pretty fucking stale right now; Bellator is beyond horrible right now, WSOF couldn't care less. Definitely not a UFC hater, but my god is their product bland.

Its not in US and who cares about most of those fights?

plus you have a good UFC card with real fights on it.

Ronda vs Nunes or Garcia vs a 50 year old grandma?

yeah thats a tough choice to pick one to care about.

Good, MMA media is cancer. I'd rather just get my JMMA fix with the other hipsters here and not have to read what Weasel Helwani or Cuck Thomas think.

Last edited:
With the reebok deal getting in the way of sponsorships fighters as a whole are likely making more money in Japan just like the old days lol.

Its not in US and who cares about most of those fights?

plus you have a good UFC card with real fights on it.

Ronda vs Nunes or Garcia vs a 50 year old grandma?

yeah thats a tough choice to pick one to care about.

Cro Cop vs King Mo, Baruto, Kron, Rin's weigh in > whole 207 card.

because the average American fan doesn't know anyone on the card aside from Cro Cop.

they need some more familiar names. Carwin and Wanderlei would have helped a lot.

because the average American fan doesn't know anyone on the card aside from Cro Cop.

they need some more familiar names. Carwin and Wanderlei would have helped a lot.

So that people can say that they are pushing old fighters above young talent? Seems like there's no winning.

Regarding the topic - MMA Media sites are incentivized to cover the UFC, it's not really that surprising. It's more jarring when there's a WSOF and Bellator card on at the same time and mysteriously all the common websites are writing about WSOF, the org with a working relationship with the UFC.

I was really surprised too, i mean isnt it weard that Sherdog.com isnt having any reports at all about this tournament?

Maybe UFC/WME paid Sherdog/Crave online to keep anything Rizin related at minimum coverage? I mean, it wouldnt be outside the realm of possibility, specially in this day and age?

i feel like sherdog intentionally took their servers down during rizin. that pbp discussion thread was going to go hundreds or thousands of pages deep. suddenly the site went down? maintenance? maybe...

the event overall was a great success. even on reddit many ignorant american haters were converted.

ufc has the best fighters in the world - not even close.

rizin presentation, pacing, and rules >>>>>>> ufc

takada >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dana

i say this as a red blooded gun loving american

Why would they cover it????

Look at the forums, Johnny Hendricks get more run for missing weight than two Rizin cards combined. If I own a site that pays the bills by advertising I sure the hell aren't going to waste time on Rizin.

I know through the years Jeff Sherwood once in awhile would talk about traffic numbers and it was simply embarrassing the difference of traffic for like one of Bellator's best cards ever compared to a typical UFC event. As fan you may care differently but the numbers say many more fans care differently than you.

Maybe UFC/WME paid Sherdog/Crave online to keep anything Rizin related at minimum coverage? I mean, it wouldnt be outside the realm of possibility, specially in this day and age?

This isnt new to WME, or RIZIN. It is well known that MMA sites are financially incentivized to report about the UFC and to keep coverage on competing MMA organizations low. Different sites adhere to this to different degrees. There is a miniscule amount of actually independent MMA journalism, and thats the way it always has been because MMA is such a niche sport that it is very hard to subsidize oneself on traffic alone as a journalist.

So that people can say that they are pushing old fighters above young talent? Seems like there's no winning.

As long as it sells I doubt Rizin cares how they're perceived.

There'd be a lot more coverage if Carwin and Wanderlei participated because there'd be more interest. simple as that.

it's not fking rocket science. there's no conspiracy. the biggest mma sites are going to cover the biggest mma news and events, and as much as I love Rizin that's not them (yet).

how could they cover it when sherdog was broken for almost half the event? rizin legit shutdown sherdog.

Mainstream media doesn't care about anything that's not UFC. And you must also consider their terrible timing and the Japanese... peculiarities. A giant woman fighting an old lady and a Cup Noodles cosplay don't really appeal to Western tastes.

how could they cover it when sherdog was broken for almost half the event? rizin legit shutdown sherdog.
UFC hired a new digital team. Sherdog crashed right before the big fights, and there was a very long and active thread in the heavies going at the time.

Pretty fishy. Corporate cyberespionage is FAR more common than most people think and is far from a "conspiracy theory" type of thing.

Back