Rizin's lack of media coverage.

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by TrevorRoss, Dec 30, 2016.

1. TrevorRoss

TrevorRoss Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Anybody notice the don't care attitude displayed at sherdog and other media outlets?

2. leto1776

leto1776 Sherdog Wet Shaver Platinum Member

It's in Japan, while a home market event is going on. Most of the fights are crap anyway.

Besides, Sherdog cares less and less about anything outside the U.S. The coverage for international events dried up years ago.

3. BobVulture

BobVulture Green Belt

It is really odd that they haven't even done a write-up on the first day's results.

Ironically watching the last event pretty much reinvigorated my interest in mma. MMA landscape is pretty fucking stale right now; Bellator is beyond horrible right now, WSOF couldn't care less. Definitely not a UFC hater, but my god is their product bland.

4. CC27

CC27 Gold Belt

Its not in US and who cares about most of those fights?

plus you have a good UFC card with real fights on it.

Ronda vs Nunes or Garcia vs a 50 year old grandma?

yeah thats a tough choice to pick one to care about.

5. Only Here for Attachments

Only Here for Attachments Stipe Justice Warrior

Good, MMA media is cancer. I'd rather just get my JMMA fix with the other hipsters here and not have to read what Weasel Helwani or Cuck Thomas think.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  6. TrevorRoss

TrevorRoss Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

With the reebok deal getting in the way of sponsorships fighters as a whole are likely making more money in Japan just like the old days lol.

Lawplace likes this.
  7. The ScorpioN

The ScorpioN "GET OVER HERE!"

Cro Cop vs King Mo, Baruto, Kron, Rin's weigh in > whole 207 card.

8. Ultimate Cuck

Ultimate Cuck Orange Belt

because the average American fan doesn't know anyone on the card aside from Cro Cop.

they need some more familiar names. Carwin and Wanderlei would have helped a lot.

9. Fullmount Triangle

Fullmount Triangle Don't Let Them Force Feed You.

So that people can say that they are pushing old fighters above young talent? Seems like there's no winning.

Regarding the topic - MMA Media sites are incentivized to cover the UFC, it's not really that surprising. It's more jarring when there's a WSOF and Bellator card on at the same time and mysteriously all the common websites are writing about WSOF, the org with a working relationship with the UFC.

leto1776 and FierceHitman like this.
  10. The Penetrator

The Penetrator Green Belt

I was really surprised too, i mean isnt it weard that Sherdog.com isnt having any reports at all about this tournament?

Maybe UFC/WME paid Sherdog/Crave online to keep anything Rizin related at minimum coverage? I mean, it wouldnt be outside the realm of possibility, specially in this day and age?

FierceHitman likes this.
  11. surgeyou1

surgeyou1 Welcome to the Machida Era...Part Deux

LOL no.

CC27 likes this.
  12. still

still White Belt

i feel like sherdog intentionally took their servers down during rizin. that pbp discussion thread was going to go hundreds or thousands of pages deep. suddenly the site went down? maintenance? maybe...

the event overall was a great success. even on reddit many ignorant american haters were converted.

ufc has the best fighters in the world - not even close.

rizin presentation, pacing, and rules >>>>>>> ufc

takada >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dana

i say this as a red blooded gun loving american

13. skylolow

skylolow Silver Belt

Why would they cover it????

Look at the forums, Johnny Hendricks get more run for missing weight than two Rizin cards combined. If I own a site that pays the bills by advertising I sure the hell aren't going to waste time on Rizin.

I know through the years Jeff Sherwood once in awhile would talk about traffic numbers and it was simply embarrassing the difference of traffic for like one of Bellator's best cards ever compared to a typical UFC event. As fan you may care differently but the numbers say many more fans care differently than you.

14. Pyreen

Pyreen Blue Belt

This isnt new to WME, or RIZIN. It is well known that MMA sites are financially incentivized to report about the UFC and to keep coverage on competing MMA organizations low. Different sites adhere to this to different degrees. There is a miniscule amount of actually independent MMA journalism, and thats the way it always has been because MMA is such a niche sport that it is very hard to subsidize oneself on traffic alone as a journalist.

LimitlessZane and FierceHitman like this.
  15. 007

007 License to Kill

It is terrible

16. Ultimate Cuck

Ultimate Cuck Orange Belt

As long as it sells I doubt Rizin cares how they're perceived.

There'd be a lot more coverage if Carwin and Wanderlei participated because there'd be more interest. simple as that.

it's not fking rocket science. there's no conspiracy. the biggest mma sites are going to cover the biggest mma news and events, and as much as I love Rizin that's not them (yet).

17. moonwolf

moonwolf Dalton's Roadhouse Beef Rib Eating Champion

how could they cover it when sherdog was broken for almost half the event? rizin legit shutdown sherdog.

18. KSchwarz

KSchwarz Purple Belt

Mainstream media doesn't care about anything that's not UFC. And you must also consider their terrible timing and the Japanese... peculiarities. A giant woman fighting an old lady and a Cup Noodles cosplay don't really appeal to Western tastes.

leto1776 likes this.
  19. The Bard

The Bard Brown Belt

Yup. Three of those guys, maybe four, would be favorites over every single fighter on UFC 207.

20. The Bard

The Bard Brown Belt

UFC hired a new digital team. Sherdog crashed right before the big fights, and there was a very long and active thread in the heavies going at the time.

Pretty fishy. Corporate cyberespionage is FAR more common than most people think and is far from a "conspiracy theory" type of thing.