• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RIZIN FIGHTING WORLD GRAND PRIX 2017 BW & Women's SAW Semifinal & Final ROUND - December 31 - Thread

is there any link to the tenshin fight and the second horiguchi fight?

Who knows if Rena will be as willing to stay in mma when she is protected in kickboxing. She had no instinct on the ground. We don't know the degree of neglecting of submission defense in her camp, but it looked like she didn't know how to defend her neck.

We've seen her fight out of dangerous positions before and show good defense, especially the armbar against Dora and the RNC against Andy. I don't know what happened last night, maybe she panicked but she definitely made a mistake.

She has been taking the ground game seriously. She was training with Josh Barnett, that is who she learned the front choke she hit Mamamoto with, and last night they were saying she had gone to train with Roxy recently. I don't think she'll quit mma because of this.

DSY7WhFVAAAiRQA.jpg:large

Rena "I am sorry" :(

Kanna and her team with her shiny new belt

Kyoji with his belt thanks his ATT family

Now Tenshin will celebrate!

Kanna looked great last night hope she goes to Road and gets a shot at Ham for the atomweight scrap or a rematch with Alyssa Garcia.

We've seen her fight out of dangerous positions before and show good defense, especially the armbar against Dora and the RNC against Andy. I don't know what happened last night, maybe she panicked but she definitely made a mistake.

She has been taking the ground game seriously. She was training with Josh Barnett, that is who she learned the front choke she hit Mamamoto with, and last night they were saying she had gone to train with Roxy recently. I don't think she'll quit mma because of this.

Rena was shutting down Asakura's low singles really well early but going to all-fours was a mistake you can't make against a grappler of Asakura's caliber. I think this kind of loss is only going to lead to benefits in the future, better that than she win the GP and then never really maintain a high level of work like Gomi did.

Rena was shutting down Asakura's low singles really well early but going to all-fours was a mistake you can't make against a grappler of Asakura's caliber. I think this kind of loss is only going to lead to benefits in the future, better that than she win the GP and then never really maintain a high level of work like Gomi did.

The 2nd she posted up with both hands down I knew Kanna was going to grab her neck, it was a really bad mistake. But I do agree this should be a good learning experience. She did shut down 2 takedown attempts, the only problem was she did so by being so far on the outside that she couldn't land any strikes. When she briefly had Kanna against the ropes after defending a takedown she immediately backed away instead of going in like she normally would, she was just too worried about Kanna's game that she was hurting her own. Definitely a good learning experience, her mentality from Shoot Boxing setbacks leads me to believe that she will learn, continue to improve, and come back better than before.

Kanna is a very tough grappler, she trains with bigger girls too like King Reina. I was very impressed with how she performed in the tournament. If she can sharpen her striking skills she'll be a real force in all areas.

Missed you @HELMER and @Danespina

Love you guys. Have a great day and a happy new year!

Just watched the card @Edwin. And yeah amazing. What a great night of fights.

Yes sad to not have those 2 with us, hope there is nothing wrong and they're ok.
I avoided spoilers completely and watched it without any fast forwarding or pausing. Felt as close to live as I could make it seem. Thanks for noticing I was missing lol. Happy new year.

It's either 2015 29th show or tonight. I felt this blew away last years NYE show. Obviously, the cash cow losing is a nightmare going forward for rizin...but you rarely see events where all the fights were good.
This was an amazing event. Every single fight was good.

Like both you two said. EVERY fight was good.

Last edited:

So the attendance for both days were about 1000 less than last year, still promising numbers though

Still double what UFC gets at the Saitama Super Arena.

damn. gomi needs a win
Gomi has now lost his last 6 fights in a combined 11minutes 45 seconds.

Expecting Horiguchi, Tenshin to win, but I think Kanna might spoil the 'favoured child' tourny sweep for RIZIN with her grappling vs Rena

You called it.

I was too tired after UFC 219 to stay up all night for the Rizin finals, but I watched earlier today and was very entertained by the whole card. Most shocking part was Rena getting put to sleep by Kanna Asakura.

What Horiguchi did shouldn't go under appreciated

3 fights in 48 hours, competing against guys 1-2 divisions bigger than him.
Finished them all. Was pretty amazing.

Fight 1:
giphy.gif

Fight 2:
giphy.gif

Fight 3:
giphy.gif

The guy came off looking like a super star.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Pretty good and entertained card. Looking forward to the next one.

What Horiguchi did shouldn't go under appreciated

3 fights in two nights, competing against guys 1-2 divisions bigger than him.
Finished them all. Was pretty amazing.

Fight 1:
giphy.gif

Fight 2:
giphy.gif

Fight 3:
giphy.gif

The guy came off looking like a super star.
giphy.gif

That's because he is a superstar. He's an awesome fighter and if MM wasn't around, he would be in the UFC ruling 125. People would be shitting on him for not getting PPV buys instead of doing it to DJ.

but def agree. It's ridiculous what he did, definitely hope he somehow finds his way back stateside but, not sure what his pay situation is like there in Rizin, prob better than what the UFC was paying him.

The 2nd she posted up with both hands down I knew Kanna was going to grab her neck, it was a really bad mistake. But I do agree this should be a good learning experience. She did shut down 2 takedown attempts, the only problem was she did so by being so far on the outside that she couldn't land any strikes. When she briefly had Kanna against the ropes after defending a takedown she immediately backed away instead of going in like she normally would, she was just too worried about Kanna's game that she was hurting her own. Definitely a good learning experience, her mentality from Shoot Boxing setbacks leads me to believe that she will learn, continue to improve, and come back better than before.

Kanna is a very tough grappler, she trains with bigger girls too like King Reina. I was very impressed with how she performed in the tournament. If she can sharpen her striking skills she'll be a real force in all areas.

Yeah Kanna has massive upside considering she's already elite at this age. Rena too. I think Rena is the better athlete and grappling is generally easier than striking to pick up and improve on in a short time, so that I'd probably favour her if they rematched a year or so from now, but it's no sure thing.

Praise For Shintaro Ishiwatari

I feel like sometimes the losers of these tournaments don't get the props they also deserve.

We praise fighters for taking two fights within a month,

Well Shintaro Ishiwatari just KO'd a tough fighter in Kevin Petshi on friday.

giphy.gif

Then two days later he came right back into the ring and went to war with a game Takafumi Otsuka - beating him as well.

giphy.gif

On top of that he stepped into the ring AGAIN, just 5 hours later, to fight probably the best Japanese fighter in the world, and fought like hell, not asking for an out when he could have.

giphy.gif

Ishiwatari may have come up short against Horiguchi, but still damn, that's a hell of a weekend and he deserves recognition for it.
He also just fought in October, so that was actually his 4th fight in 2.5 months.
And another FYI: Horiguchi remains the only unavenged loss on his resume in the last 7 years.

Last edited:
Anyone knows name of Takanori Gomis entrance song?

A bit disappointed w edidn’t see something like this for the NYE celebration, otherwise a great event.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

What’s her name and anyone still know why she did it?

Hendo’s expression is gold. "Wait what... oh.. yeah! Damn didn’t I miss Japan!"

Back