• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rippetoe gives his thoughts on Cain and Junior's S&C and his thoughts on S&C for MMA

Lol at ironwolf. Some weakass f a g who call out Eric for bro science.
Eric has probably produced those high level athletes that bullied you in highschool and stole your prom dates

LOL at you......biznatch....

Lol at ironwolf. Some weakass f a g who call out Eric for bro science.
Eric has probably produced those high level athletes that bullied you in highschool and stole your prom dates

-highschool: played QB on the footbal team: nobody F'ed with me
-Prom: I actuwlly went with 2 dates...and had 3 way sex with them..when I was 18..

I never acused eric brown of "bro science".....I DID accuse him of being an asshole which he would probably agree with....if I wasnt blocked by him (Im blocked by him)...so...

As I understand it, this is partly because non-strength athletes don't have the time or energy to maximize strength development. They are likely to have 2-4 fairly short strength sessions a week, and so their strength development is likely to be rather "slow burn". They won't be constantly hitting plateaus or worrying to get around weak spots and other things that happen when you focus more on strength.

Yup.

Point being, it could be done. Now, the difficulty and/or feasibility of this is known to no one on this board. (actually contacted a nearby coach that I know and he will see if he can find anything out, not really sure if this will pan out). But at the end of the day, everyone can get stronger. Everyone can get better at pretty much everything.

Really, most fighters spend little time developing limit strength in comparison to their focus in other areas. Yes, I am well aware that skill training is paramount (one of the reasons why the S&C coach almost always makes far less than the football coach, for example) and support this point of view. The difficulty lies in not only integrating maximal strength work with the often chaotic fight schedule, but integrating it in such a way that it does not compromise skill work, or conditioning work, both of which are, in most cases, more important than limit strength for a fighter.

Now, given that maximal strength work can be done with limited volume, once the fighter is used to it there is surprisingly little impact on recovery. This leads to the other issue: has the fighter done sufficient strength work to use high intensity work for limit strength effectively? A fighter who has done mostly conditioning and kettlebell work for S&C is not going to adapt to high intensity strength training as well as someone with a more traditional background in S&C work. So this is yet another variable about which we have no real working knowledge.

Yup.

Point being, it could be done. Now, the difficulty and/or feasibility of this is known to no one on this board. (actually contacted a nearby coach that I know and he will see if he can find anything out, not really sure if this will pan out). But at the end of the day, everyone can get stronger. Everyone can get better at pretty much everything.

Really, most fighters spend little time developing limit strength in comparison to their focus in other areas. Yes, I am well aware that skill training is paramount (one of the reasons why the S&C coach almost always makes far less than the football coach, for example) and support this point of view. The difficulty lies in not only integrating maximal strength work with the often chaotic fight schedule, but integrating it in such a way that it does not compromise skill work, or conditioning work, both of which are, in most cases, more important than limit strength for a fighter.

Now, given that maximal strength work can be done with limited volume, once the fighter is used to it there is surprisingly little impact on recovery. This leads to the other issue: has the fighter done sufficient strength work to use high intensity work for limit strength effectively? A fighter who has done mostly conditioning and kettlebell work for S&C is not going to adapt to high intensity strength training as well as someone with a more traditional background in S&C work. So this is yet another variable about which we have no real working knowledge.

Your original post made me think of this section of this interview with Bompa on T-Nation:

T: What are some of the techniques you've used to blast through training plateaus?

TB: An athlete doesn't reach a plateau very quickly. It takes time

High level athlete checking in. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Better athlete than the guy I'm "quoting" here...(and better looking)

Ask me anything!!!

srs!!! ask!!!!

This guy is an impostor!

Ask me anything guys, 225 pounds or ripped steel and sex appeal answering all questions.

.....ask!!!!

This guy is an impostor!

Ask me anything, 225 pounds of ripped steel and sex appeal answering all your questions.

This guy is an impostor!

Ask me anything, 225 pounds of ripped steel and sex appeal answering all your questions.

SRS though

Im 225lbs of ripped steel...

and ex apeal.

But literally, im 200 and sexy as fuck......

SRS though

Im 225lbs of ripped steel...

and ex apeal.

But literally, im 200 and sexy as fuck......

Hah! 200 pounds, you sound lean and healthy and I'm envious of that. I bet you can see your serratus. I haven't seen my serratus in years, I don't think it's there anymore. Visible serratus is the true definition of being a man. I am not a man.

From now on, I'm not even going to ask people to let me bang. I'm just going to do it. I'm just gonna bang on em.

i clearly remember that Cain thanked that Joe Grasso guy after his second win against Dos Santos.
that's the only thing i need to know to say that Joe Grasso must be a great strength coach.
i can't remember the last UFC champion that Rippetoe guy trained.

i also saw UFC Tonight a week ago and Cormier said Cain injured his knee rolling with Marcus Almeida Buchecha and it was a freak accident.
i am amazed how magically the internet made this injury caused by leg extensions instead of grappling like every other knee injury that happen to mma fighters.
every single knee injury in mma is caused wrestling/grappling.

Back