Rip Away lol Need to stop being pushovers! (Atheists)

It's not too much of a problem irl at all for me. It's just if I say it at a party some hipster uses it as an excuse to go on some rant and shit, assuming I agree with them. I chat to people who come to my door (mormons and jehova's witnesses) and I have 1 sikh mate who's more philosophy than blind faith. Other than that it's only online where it comes up.

I also think religion and the supernatural are 2 different things. Religion imo is a naturally occurring social phenomena. I'm not sure how anyone could think they were the same thing without applying the "flying spaghetti monster" logic.
That's interesting to me because neither of us believe in God, but we might take a fundamentally different point of view on what religion is and how it evolves- and on top of that we may have completely different concepts about any of the subtopics of religion or spirituality. But lack of belief gets a lot of things attributed to it- like a hipster at a party assuming you agree with him. Recently I found myself using "we" when asked a question about what atheists feel on a topic, and I had to correct myself because I was reinforcing a stereotype that wasn't even true. I've had the experience of being marginalized for my beliefs, as I live in a strongly religious area, so my perception may be skewed as to what kinds of discrimination atheists/non-religious people face.

OT Even though I'm an atheist by definition, I just say I'm non-religious now. Atheism's been hijacked by the sjws. I'm not part of a movement. I don't think the world needs to abolish religion. I just personally believe the concept of god is ridiculous.

What do you personally believe in regards to the concept of universes randomly creating themselves?

That's interesting to me because neither of us believe in God, but we might take a fundamentally different point of view on what religion is and how it evolves- and on top of that we may have completely different concepts about any of the subtopics of religion or spirituality. But lack of belief gets a lot of things attributed to it- like a hipster at a party assuming you agree with him. Recently I found myself using "we" when asked a question about what atheists feel on a topic, and I had to correct myself because I was reinforcing a stereotype that wasn't even true. I've had the experience of being marginalized for my beliefs, as I live in a strongly religious area, so my perception may be skewed as to what kinds of discrimination atheists/non-religious people face.

What kinds of discrimination do atheists and non religious people face in your area?

I don't know if this thread had anything to do with it but I just landed probably the biggest turd of my life. It even cut me slightly on the way out. I was thinking about starting a new thread but didn't think it was warranted. I just needed to tell someone.

I'll say a prayer for your anus.

What do you personally believe in regards to the concept of universes randomly creating themselves?
Why does he need to spend so much time devoted to thinking about such things?
And I don't follow your "universe creating themselves" logic. So the universe can't create itself, but can be created by god.... yet something randomly created god? either way something was randomly created.

What kinds of discrimination do atheists and non religious people face in your area?
Social mostly, I should have specified that. The usual stuff from school kids growing up of course. I also entered the workforce a generation ago when nobody cared about bible-thumping at work and favoritism for people who shared the boss's religious faith. I see that has changed a lot and I'm proud of our country for it, but a lot of ignorance still exists in highly religious areas. Just today I overheard a coworker practically screaming in the breakroom about atheists and how they shouldn't have the right not to pray. Nobody really gave a shit because we know she's a bit of a kook, but stuff like that still goes on. My friend is a saleswoman who was recently given an ultimatum by her boss to use religious marketing tactics to sell a worthless product for thousands of dollars. She refused and has luckily found another job, and she doesn't want to rustle any feathers about it.

Why does he need to spend so much time devoted to thinking about such things?

He doesn't. Why would you ask me that?

And I don't follow your "universe creating themselves" logic. So the universe can't create itself, but can be created by god.... yet something randomly created god? either way something was randomly created.

One theory says that an intelligent being that exists outside of space and time created...space, time, and everything else. That's plausible.

The other theory says that the universe created itself and everything in it while being subject to space, time, and the rest of the laws of physics..randomly and unintelligently. That's ridiculous.

Social mostly, I should have specified that. The usual stuff from school kids growing up of course. I also entered the workforce a generation ago when nobody cared about bible-thumping at work and favoritism for people who shared the boss's religious faith. I see that has changed a lot and I'm proud of our country for it, but a lot of ignorance still exists in highly religious areas. Just today I overheard a coworker practically screaming in the breakroom about atheists and how they shouldn't have the right not to pray. Nobody really gave a shit because we know she's a bit of a kook, but stuff like that still goes on. My friend is a saleswoman who was recently given an ultimatum by her boss to use religious marketing tactics to sell a worthless product for thousands of dollars. She refused and has luckily found another job, and she doesn't want to rustle any feathers about it.

Thanks for answering but I don't think any of that qualifies as discrimination. I wonder if you're just looking to be offended and/or outraged.

He doesn't. Why would you ask me that?

One theory says that an intelligent being that exists outside of space and time created...space, time, and everything else. That's plausible.

The other theory says that the universe created itself and everything in it while being subject to space, time, and the rest of the laws of physics..randomly and unintelligently. That's ridiculous.
I asked because he stated something very simple like he finds the concept of god to be ridiculous. And you want to take it all the way back to something very complicated that very few people are actually smart enough to theorize and converse about which is the origins of the universe.

If find it fascinating for the most part that people spend so much time looking back to how we got here, and looking forward to what will happen when we are gone that I think far less focus is paid attention to what we are doing today. Live, love, laugh, repeat.

Also If everything has to be created then who created him whether he exists outside of space and time or not.
And prior tot the universe there was no such thing as space and time, so the laws of physics don't apply either as we understand them.

Thanks for answering but I don't think any of that qualifies as discrimination. I wonder if you're just looking to be offended and/or outraged.
I don't necessarily mean big 'D' discrimination, like legally actionable things (though I know of a few), but there is still a lot of ignorant prejudice directed an non-believers, and it does make people feel outcast. I wasn't too adversely affected by it, and the only recent outrage I've felt has been for my friend, who could probably sue if she wanted to. I told her to contact the ACLU on that one, but she won't.

I don't personally believe anything in regards to the universes creating themselves. I could never know and believe no person can currently. I'm happy not knowing and I contribute to the human race in the hope that one day (if we haven't blown ourselves up) we will know. If we don't ever know, it's still a wonderful thing we were here in the first place.

There was a guy who's everywhere who made the world in 6 days, 6000 years ago and is completely obsessed with people's penises and vaginas and what they do with them- just doesn't add up to me and the evidence points to the contrary.

12650973_561711637337940_2334106777754743434_n.jpg

I don't necessarily mean big 'D' discrimination, like legally actionable things (though I know of a few), but there is still a lot of ignorant prejudice directed an non-believers, and it does make people feel outcast. I wasn't too adversely affected by it, and the only recent outrage I've felt has been for my friend, who could probably sue if she wanted to. I told her to contact the ACLU on that one, but she won't.

Poor you dude. You can still be executed for your religious beliefs or lack of in a larger percentage of the world than a lot of people can conceive. You are exactly what I'm talking about in terms of sjws hijacking atheism. You're as bad as the guy in the video. Waaaaah waaaaah people are discriminating against me bro! I'm being oppressed! grow up ffs.

My younger atheist friends would benefit from the idea that religion is neither good or bad. It is a tool capable of amazing things, or horrible evils.

Civil rights movement doesn't exist without religion.

Peace activist roots lie largely in the Catholic church today.

Poor you dude. You can still be executed for your religious beliefs or lack of in a larger percentage of the world than a lot of people can conceive. You are exactly what I'm talking about in terms of sjws hijacking atheism. You're as bad as the guy in the video. Waaaaah waaaaah people are discriminating against me bro! I'm being oppressed! grow up ffs.
I'm not taking the tone you suggest I am. I said I wasn't too terribly affected by it. I'm not out social warrior-ing. I think you are looking for somebody else to hedge your non-belief against.

I'm not taking the tone you suggest I am. I said I wasn't too terribly affected by it. I'm not out social warrior-ing. I think you are looking for somebody else to hedge your non-belief against.

Nah, I've just seen this debate far too many times to take it seriously anymore. I was just seeing if I could provoke a reaction. It's pretty broo-tal here it the war room.

Nah, I've just seen this debate far too many times to take it seriously anymore. I was just seeing if I could provoke a reaction. It's pretty broo-tal here it the war room.
I've noticed a lot of trolling.

If someone's going to post 17 min of Rogan bullying Milo (another person - which is the norm if he disagrees), better post the whole podcast because Milo had some very good points too. I know it's long but listen to it through for yourself:

Have you ever considered the possibility that our limited monkey-brains are incapable of fully understanding concepts like time and space and rather than accepting that reality we imagine a being that operates outside of those boundries? God is time, space, matter, physics, etc. Our clumsy exploits into the scientific realm are not forays against the proof of God but the first few baby steps towards a long journey to understanding. Just because certain epiphanies contradict passages from a book written by primitive men that doesn't mean that religion and science are at odds.

God is real, in a certain manner regardless of what we individuals conceive him to be. I really don't think he's ever written a book. Are you getting where I'm coming from?

Back