Ringworm

Rubbing Alcohol... dries it right up

i'm glad you got it sorted out, but you might want to change your urologist if they couldn't figure out that the reason you couldn't piss is because you didn't drink enough.

please, for the love of all that is holy, don't rely on chatGPT for medical advice.
I wouldn't say I totally relied on it, but I went to multiple urologists and they were clueless. I think a lot of stuff that people who work out are familiar with is foreign to them. It was a last resort, but I mean, I'd been trying to figure out why I had burning urine and difficulty urinating for the longest time with no answers. I mean, it was basically too lean, too dry, too much caffeine, not enough water all together. Anyway, I wasted money going to a few urologists. Zero help. Kept focusing on whether or not I had an STD.

I am old, injured and can't train BJJ anymore. I don't miss picking up skin conditions from
filthy training partners at all. I have had ringworm more than once and molluscum contagiosum
on my forearm. Damn you nasty training partners and the gyms that don't clean often.

If none of the other suggestions here work, see if you can get your hands on tea tree oil.

EDIT: I posted an Amazon link but looks like it didn't share it. I wrote the product name. You can pick it up at most garden nurseries, maybe even Home Depot or Walmart.

@biscuitsbrah

Use this stuff. It's an anitfungal horticulture product. Works like a charm. Farmers use it on animals all the time. Painless, won't hurt you, works VERY fast. Consan Triple Action 20

I wouldn't say I totally relied on it, but I went to multiple urologists and they were clueless. I think a lot of stuff that people who work out are familiar with is foreign to them. It was a last resort, but I mean, I'd been trying to figure out why I had burning urine and difficulty urinating for the longest time with no answers. I mean, it was basically too lean, too dry, too much caffeine, not enough water all together. Anyway, I wasted money going to a few urologists. Zero help. Kept focusing on whether or not I had an STD.

Bro I'm confused and I can't be the only one in this thread scratching my head at this. You're an OG and a seasoned athlete and trainer but you didn't realize that drinking more water would make it easier for you to urinate? Was your urine dark in color and were you feeling symptoms of dehydration? Or was your urine light or almost clear, you had a strong sweat response and no reason to believe that insufficient water was a contributing factor to not being able to urinate?

Bro I'm confused and I can't be the only one in this thread scratching my head at this. You're an OG and a seasoned athlete and trainer but you didn't realize that drinking more water would make it easier for you to urinate? Was your urine dark in color and were you feeling symptoms of dehydration? Or was your urine light or almost clear, you had a strong sweat response and no reason to believe that insufficient water was a contributing factor to not being able to urinate?
It wasn't exactly that, it was the confluence of low bodyfat, sweating a lot and caffeine and I think, which, from what I researched, creates an urge to pee constantly. So the urge to pee constantly combined with that creates the pain and burning. An issue was that, not being able to urinate, I was actually holding water. Like, I couldn't empty my bladder. So that was uncomfortable but it also made me personally worried about drinking more liquid when I couldn't get rid of the liquid in me.

I think the diuretics were also causing a sort of contraction to occur or something that was stopping it from peeing and emptying the bladder. I don't know, that part is sort of less explained.

As far as training though, I've coached people in grappling and I like working out but there's plenty of stuff I don't really know crap about when it comes to the science. I was in my late 20's when I found out which muscle the delts were. The scientific side of physical activity is often kinda over my head. I can't get through a moreplatesmoredates video most of the time.

I think it was more about too many diuretics relative to the level of dryness than just being dehydrated. I think some sort of contraction was going on as well, which led to the bladder not emptying. Didn't have dark colored urine except for like, maybe once or twice at the start of the symptoms. Either way, I'm sure I made some foolish mistakes getting myself into that situation and probably looking for the way out as well.

It wasn't exactly that, it was the confluence of low bodyfat, sweating a lot and caffeine and I think, which, from what I researched, creates an urge to pee constantly. So the urge to pee constantly combined with that creates the pain and burning. An issue was that, not being able to urinate, I was actually holding water. Like, I couldn't empty my bladder. So that was uncomfortable but it also made me personally worried about drinking more liquid when I couldn't get rid of the liquid in me.

I think the diuretics were also causing a sort of contraction to occur or something that was stopping it from peeing and emptying the bladder. I don't know, that part is sort of less explained.

As far as training though, I've coached people in grappling and I like working out but there's plenty of stuff I don't really know crap about when it comes to the science. I was in my late 20's when I found out which muscle the delts were. The scientific side of physical activity is often kinda over my head. I can't get through a moreplatesmoredates video most of the time.

I think it was more about too many diuretics relative to the level of dryness than just being dehydrated. I think some sort of contraction was going on as well, which led to the bladder not emptying. Didn't have dark colored urine except for like, maybe once or twice at the start of the symptoms. Either way, I'm sure I made some foolish mistakes getting myself into that situation and probably looking for the way out as well.

Got it. I'm no expert but it also sounds like you may have had a urinary tract infection, which I understand can be brought on by dehydration. Either way, glad you got the issue resolved. Completely with you on a lot of medical professionals being clueless on a lot of things all athletes understand. Athletes generally know what works for their bodies and lifestyles, while doctors know the theory but many don't train much if at all (like most of the general population).

Got it. I'm no expert but it also sounds like you may have had a urinary tract infection, which I understand can be brought on by dehydration. Either way, glad you got the issue resolved. Completely with you on a lot of medical professionals being clueless on a lot of things all athletes understand. Athletes generally know what works for their bodies and lifestyles, while doctors know the theory but many don't train much if at all (like most of the general population).
Honestly, and I don't know if everyone is like this or its just me, but part of the issue is just sort of getting locked into a certain lifestyle and then having an issue pulling back from certain things. I guess I always knew that I was taking way too much pre-workout and caffeine and not enough water, but actually recognizing when its become a problem and changing is the problem, for me at least. Certain things gain an inertia that's hard to stop I guess.

Honestly, and I don't know if everyone is like this or its just me, but part of the issue is just sort of getting locked into a certain lifestyle and then having an issue pulling back from certain things. I guess I always knew that I was taking way too much pre-workout and caffeine and not enough water, but actually recognizing when its become a problem and changing is the problem, for me at least. Certain things gain an inertia that's hard to stop I guess.

For sure, humans are all creatures of habit. And the older I get, the more set in my ways I become for better or worse. I have a lot of healthy habits but also a lot of time wasters and things I know I could and should do better.

For sure, humans are all creatures of habit. And the older I get, the more set in my ways I become for better or worse. I have a lot of healthy habits but also a lot of time wasters and things I know I could and should do better.
I will say, btw, it wasn't a UTI, I was tested for that right away and through out the whole thing, that always came back negative. There was actually some other weird phenomena going on down there, but it definitely seemed to get better once I quit caffeine. Though sadly I'm back.

But yeah, as far as habits, I guess that's the genius of Aristotle; take that part of our nature and try to use it to create virtuous habits. Like drinking water...

Anyone else have ringworm that just won’t go away?

It’s been 2 weeks now and it’s only getting worse.
I have both prescription nystatin + triamcinolone and also lotrimin ultra (butenafine)
And nothing is working. I don’t fuck with lamisil cuz only people out of the loop think that shit works.

Anyway I’m stumped… I guess I just have to try and apply 5 times a day

Had ringworm may last year and honestly despite creams etc, it tool months to fully go away. It faded quite a lot by the 3 month stage, but still noticeable. I stopped looking for it and in time it just faded

sounds like a rather unfortunate set of circumstance, then. maybe it's just obvious to me because i regularly forget to drink enough and get somewhat dehydrated, but reading your post my immediate thought was "is this guy drinking enough fluids?"

also, congrats on being so fucking lean you can't piss anymore, lol. that's gotta put you in pablo popovitch abs territory.

I will say, btw, it wasn't a UTI, I was tested for that right away and through out the whole thing, that always came back negative. There was actually some other weird phenomena going on down there, but it definitely seemed to get better once I quit caffeine. Though sadly I'm back.

But yeah, as far as habits, I guess that's the genius of Aristotle; take that part of our nature and try to use it to create virtuous habits. Like drinking water...

Did you ever get blood work done and your sodium levels checked out? Again I'm no expert but I know a little about this because I had to take my elderly mother to a nephrologist a few years ago due to low sodium levels and she is now on a daily prescription diuretic + sodium tablet to keep her sodium in normal range. Apparently up to a point, your body's electrolyte levels are independent of how much water you're drinking (or not drinking), because your kidneys adjust and try to solve for whatever they think are the normal range. If you have low sodium, your kidneys (assuming they're healthy) will crank it up and try to produce more urine to piss out - so you're left with higher sodium relative to the amount of fluid left in your body.

If you have high sodium, your kidneys will do the opposite and try to hold onto as much water as possible, producing less (or no) urine. But if your kidneys are out of whack, they'll be trying to solve for the wrong sodium level. Hypernatremia (too much sodium, not enough water) and hyponatremia (too much water, not enough salt) both present as mental sluggishness and confusion. The former is much more common in healthy adults and the answer is to simply drink more water. But the latter can happen too although you have to be drinking WAY too much water.

But in general, I would limit or eliminate caffeine if it's causing you problems bro. It's all about staying healthy for the long term.

Last edited:
I got it on my back about 35 years ago. My roommate's dog would sleep in my bed when I was at class. The doctor had me come in for daily UV light treatment. It cleared it up. Not sure if I took any oral medicine or used any rub in addition to the UV light treatment. Research it and find if it still is recommended and how much exposure and frequency you need. If it looks good, buy a cheap tanning light bulb, go to a tanning booth or probably best go see a doctor. If you do not have medical insurance, perhaps a clinic in the City could help.

Never had ringworm. Anti-dandruff shampoo and then I spread the lather all over my body.

Some people just lucky I guess.

Personally I never had cauliflower. 5 years of wrestling (headgear was only for meets) and some combo of Judo or BJJ since 2005 and my ears are still good. Stealth Grappler!

Some people just lucky I guess.

Personally I never had cauliflower. 5 years of wrestling (headgear was only for meets) and some combo of Judo or BJJ since 2005 and my ears are still good. Stealth Grappler!
I remember many years ago on the forum, someone hypothesised that the natural flexibility of one's ears could affect the likelihood of them cauliflowering.

I don't know if there have been any studies, but it seems to ring true for me and people I know. I'm 14 years cauliflower-free and have noticeably more flexible ears than some of my less fortunate training partners.

Back