• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

right hook to body, hitting elbow, ideas?

Phlog

Sgt Sprinkles
@Gold
Reaction score
Hey,

Yeah I know it's a stupid question, there's only so many tools and it's just a matter of lining them up. I was just wondering what you guys have as go to set ups for landing a right hook to the body.

Do you mean a rear-hand hook to the body?

Throw it under their jab, when the elbow won't be there.

^This, or set it up with a strike down or up the middle to bring the elbows forward. You sound like you're trying to land the rear body hook as a single shot and from the outside... I really wouldn't recommend doing a lot of that. Pepper them into your combinations or you'll meet a block-and-counter fighter like Curtis Stevens.

Besides... the liver's on the other side.

Trust a lefty.. Yeah, the rear hand hook to body, it feels like the hardest punch to land.

It's not that hard, much easier to land than a cross counter over a jab in my opinion at least. You just can't throw it for no reason.

Trust a lefty.. Yeah, the rear hand hook to body, it feels like the hardest punch to land.

It's trying to hit a far point with the farthest weapon. I don't even like it as an attack method.

Its my go to punch when opp shells up with his hands up. and when opp circles to the left a lot. its one of my favorite punches.

It's trying to hit a far point with the farthest weapon. I don't even like it as an attack method.

That makes sense, it's easier to land off the clinch. I think I'm trying to use it at too great a range and so telegraphing the action.

@A guy

The right rear overhand counter of their jab is close to an easy punch for me! I'm tall as fuck tho so it figures. I think the relative success for it is to do with looking for the right setup to throw it in. Something I need to apply to the rear hook to body.

Don't worry about trying to target the body
Land all them punches on their left arm to disable
It... And this will take away their jab punch

Just an idea but alternate between straight rights to the body and right hooks to the body throw the straights to the solar plexus to get your opponents arms in the middle and land the right hook to the side of the body

Really? Mike seems to throw a lot of wide rights to the body. The left side of the body is a closer target than the right, no?

Personally, the wide right under the jab is becoming one of my most reliable attacks.

Back