Right Age to Start MMA

I'd say just start training in one thing, like BJJ or wrestling. Then when you're older, train at an MMA gym to get all of the aspects of the game together.

I'm 16, and I started BJJ when I was 14, and right now thats all I train in.

its never to late i started at 13 im 15 now, people start at 4 some start at 16. its not a matter about when you started. its about how much time you put in. fighting is all about doing one more than your opponent. do 10 more pounds for one more rep. "if i have to train like a mad man year round to make me that much better, so be it" Brock Lesnar. it just comes down to how much effort you put in.

You do not eat 5k calories consistently. If you did, you would not be 108 pounds. I weigh well over twice what you do, and I gain weight on 5k calories a day. I would agree that it's possible that on one or two days of your life that you have eaten 5k calories, but you are not doing this with any consistency.

If you seriously want help with this, wander over to the S&C and diet forums, and read the FAQs. If they aren't clear, ask questions.

This^

dailyfit.com i bet theres maybe 2 days max a week were u even eat over 3500

I seriously do. I dont know why my metabolism is so fast.

When I was 15 I could eat large pizzas by myself. Would be hungry an hour later. I was 5'10-ish 130. Its called growing and you have more of it to do.

If you are eating 5,000 calories and not gaining weight, then eat 6,000 calories. If that doesn't work then eat 7,000 calories. Is it that hard to figure out?

As for your main question, there is no ideal age to start training/competing MMA. We've all seen success and failures from people who started early and late. I'm still of the opinion that at a young age you are much better off on focusing on one discipline and getting really good at it before you move on to cross training. At 15 its going to be hard to be very competitive in wrestling, BJJ, and Muay Thai. But if you were to put most of your energy into one, you could get really good at it, and have the opportunity for high level competition in it, that will prepare you for competing.

Oh i forget to say, for some reason i can never gain weight. Im 5'7 and 103 lbs for wrestling right now. For some reason i cannot gain it at all. I eat 5k+ calories a day and no weight gain. I really need to lift.

How many of those calories are from Mountain Dew? :icon_chee

As for your main question, there is no ideal age to start training/competing MMA. We've all seen success and failures from people who started early and late. I'm still of the opinion that at a young age you are much better off on focusing on one discipline and getting really good at it before you move on to cross training. At 15 its going to be hard to be very competitive in wrestling, BJJ, and Muay Thai. But if you were to put most of your energy into one, you could get really good at it, and have the opportunity for high level competition in it, that will prepare you for competing.

Best advice you can get IMO.

Don't be a jack of all trades. Focus, consistency and dedication are the things that will really pay off.

Find out which style you really, really love the most and focus on it. You can start broadening your skillset in your late teens/early twenties for the cage.

I really wish I'd have had this advice at 15. You have the chance to be WAY above the curve starting so early and focussing on one art.

Back