Right Age to Start MMA

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by mikeyy275, Oct 29, 2010.

1. mikeyy275

mikeyy275 White Belt

I was wondering the right age to start training MMA. Im 15 right now, and take BJJ, in the summer im going to take muai thai but for now im taking kickboxing for standup. Im on the wrestling team. Am i too young or is too late to be a real chance of making it big, as competing at the high level at the 23-35 age.

2. Staring At Fate

Staring At Fate Refuse To Lose.

Your asking a stupid question which I'm sure in your head you know the answer to, no your not to young you can be 30 and start and still compete at a professional level.

3. mikeyy275

mikeyy275 White Belt

Oh i forget to say, for some reason i can never gain weight. Im 5'7 and 103 lbs for wrestling right now. For some reason i cannot gain it at all. I eat 5k+ calories a day and no weight gain. I really need to lift.

4. mweaver123

mweaver123 Yellow Belt

You needed to have started when you were 4. It's too late for you. Whoosh! Do you hear that? That's opportunity passing you by! Go take up chess, knitting, or collecting cats.

5. All In The Game

All In The Game Green Belt

You can't be a high level knitter if you start after 10, imo.

6. mikeyy275

mikeyy275 White Belt

Fuck off.

7. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

You do not eat 5k calories consistently. If you did, you would not be 108 pounds. I weigh well over twice what you do, and I gain weight on 5k calories a day. I would agree that it's possible that on one or two days of your life that you have eaten 5k calories, but you are not doing this with any consistency.

If you seriously want help with this, wander over to the S&C and diet forums, and read the FAQs. If they aren't clear, ask questions.

8. mikeyy275

mikeyy275 White Belt

I seriously do. I dont know why my metabolism is so fast.

9. ShowUsYaJits

ShowUsYaJits Orange Belt

I don't think you are too young. Are you talented? I wouldn't necessarily base this on competition success either, as if you are 103lbs, maybe you haven't hit puberty yet? Probably not finished, at any rate.

I think it's good that you are getting a grappling and wrestling base now, while you are young. A key to having a long career and having a life worth living after your MMA career is done, is to not get hit in the head too many times. Having superior wrestling/grappling ability will do this, see Couture and GSP for examples of this. By all means develop some standup too (so that you get some instinct for it), but having the ground game ace in the hole, and a means to get there is invaluable.

Also, how are you going to pay for training, food and shelter between now and when you start winning major fights?

10. Genki Pseudo

Genki Pseudo Banned Banned

Cain Velasquezstarted at 24. although he had been wrestling since high school. so 15 is probably a good age, don't burn yourself out trying to do too much though.
    Wrestling or BJJ is a great place to start.

11. KlLLEmAll

KlLLEmAll Blue Belt

You only start training once you've matured as a person.

If your 25, but mature enough to make goals and stick to dedicated training, I would say you've got a better chance than someone whos 18 and chasing girls at the weekend.

12. koolinkunming

koolinkunming Silver Belt

You're not too young or too old. That one kid who fought on the recent UFC card (in Vancouver I think, can't remember his name) started training MMA specifically at age 14, so your age sounds about right.

As for not gaining weight, you're only 15. Your body's still developing, and you'll be filling out until 25 at least. So just keep working, taking in calories (good calories, that is) and you'll probably get bigger naturally with time. And check out the dieting/suppliments forum.

13. willie Dicker**

willie Dicker** Green Belt

Bowles started at 25
    Palhares started at 25
    Velasquez started at 25
    JDS started at 22

but then again their talented

14. wandecosho

wandecosho Blue Belt

[​IMG]

but yah, srsly, you're waay past your prime.

15. mweaver123

mweaver123 Yellow Belt

[​IMG]

Seriously, though...relax, sparky. Learn to take a joke. Fucking kids these days...

16. kung fu kenny

kung fu kenny Yellow Belt

You're only fifteen and you already wrestle, practice BJJ, and kickbox? Sounds good to me if you want to try and go pro in your twenties.

17. ShowUsYaJits

ShowUsYaJits Orange Belt

Not sure about the others, but Velasquez's wrestling base sure as hell started way before 25.

18. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

You can start training MMA anytime really.

To fight MMA, then my guess would be 18.

19. notshayndavis

notshayndavis Yellow Belt

I don't see why everyone is being so harsh on him.

Its awesome that you're getting started so young dude. Have fun and keep training.

20. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

5k+ calories and not gain?
    I find that really hard to believe, but if it is ,you probably train 4 times a day? Slow it down a little .. or eat more :icon_chee

I have no idea what kind of body you have , but when you weigh so little you're body has to be very fragile and you can wait for injury's to pile up.
    Definitely find a way to gain some weight (muscle mass and probably a little healthy fat )