Ricky Hatton KO'd in bar fight

Surprising, as although Gomez was known for street brawls, in 2003 he scored his career defining win over Alex Arthur, and had settled down, got out of Moston, and had a family.

Surprising, as although Gomez was known for street brawls, in 2003 he scored his career defining win over Alex Arthur, and had settled down, got out of Moston, and had a family.

Yeah,it was definitely Gomez. I'm 100% on this. His face rang a bell at the time of the incident, but I couldn't place him. When they zoomed in on his face after the Khan fight, I was like"oh shit, that's him". Don't know why I didn't recognise him before. In broad daylight, in his street clothes, he just looked like the usual scallys you see knocking about Manchester's deprived areas.

The incident, if you can call it that, took place in Withington, South Manchester. The bus stop just down from the White Lion pub. It was either 2002 or 2003.

One Scott Harrison is quite enough, thanks. Hope it's the usual exaggerate/simplify tack from the tabloids, though.

Yeah,it was definitely Gomez. I'm 100% on this. His face rang a bell at the time of the incident, but I couldn't place him. When they zoomed in on his face after the Khan fight, I was like"oh shit, that's him". Don't know why I didn't recognise him before. In broad daylight, in his street clothes, he just looked like the usual scallys you see knocking about Manchester's deprived areas.

The incident, if you can call it that, took place in Withington, South Manchester. The bus stop just down from the White Lion pub. It was either 2002 or 2003.

He certainly loved fighting on the streets, and was always getting in the shit with the police. He was well known in Manchester at the time, and he must have been getting recognised if he was pulling that kind of shit. He was also stabbed in 2003 and died for half a minute or so.

YouTube - Michael Gomez film

The trailer above if for the film made about him, which as far as I know has still not be released.

I don't believe it. 1 non-reliable source reporting it and no pics, in this day and age you'd have either pics of said KO or at least a few major news sources reporting it.

not suprised as Hatton is a drunk and was more than likely drunk out of his mind, he's also a cokehead now and is really losing it. Its sad to see so many boxers life get ruined once they finish boxing, but alot of these guys come from shitty backgrounds with no education and would ended up as thugs if it wasnt for boxing

i dont care who you are. its not hard to sucker punch ko someonw, and its even easier if you're twice someones size.

He certainly loved fighting on the streets, and was always getting in the shit with the police. He was well known in Manchester at the time, and he must have been getting recognised if he was pulling that kind of shit. He was also stabbed in 2003 and died for half a minute or so.

YouTube - Michael Gomez film

The trailer above if for the film made about him, which as far as I know has still not be released.

Thanks for the clip Athenry04.

God I really hate people who revel in what a "hard life" they have had. 99% of the time they exaggerate for effect. As soon as I heard "most of you were born in a nice clean hospital", I thought here we go. I can't stand this "Trainspotting" style crap. Scumbags should not be glorified, though I respect his accomplishments in the boxing ring.

People who choose a "hard life" because they are too lazy to work, and instead would like to lazy around and rob people like many in the travelling community do, are not worthy of sympathy or respect. He could quite easily have been born in a hospital if his parents had taken him there. No one was excluding them in Ireland or the UK. Anybody can get a cleaning or labouring job for 200-250 a week. There are no legitimate excuses in this country for living the type of existence that they are trying to portray in that video, though many have excuses usually with someone else or society to blame.

People in the 3rd world are genuinely poor and have little opportunity to improve their lot in life. If those people tell me they have had a hard life, then I'm inclined to sympathise with them. Most are literally on the point of starvation due to their climate and a lack of provision from their governments. The benefits system in the UK means that people are only poor relative to one and other. Believe me, no one is really poor in this country. I have offered beggars food in the street on many occasions, only to be turned down because they want money. For drugs/alcohol of course.

Any film trying to glorify a little scrote like that, who openly admits to picking fights with people for no apparent reason, is a complete waste of time. People that carry on like that are life's failures, we don't need to hype up their lives with cool backing music and overdramatisation. It's just a sad way to live, pure and simple.

not suprised as Hatton is a drunk and was more than likely drunk out of his mind, he's also a cokehead now and is really losing it. Its sad to see so many boxers life get ruined once they finish boxing, but alot of these guys come from shitty backgrounds with no education and would ended up as thugs if it wasnt for boxing

Actually, Hatton is from a decent lower middle class family. His parents being small business owners. They owned/ran a pub when he was growing up,and later owned a carpet shop before he earn't anything with his fists.

His parents actually come across much better than he does. He always struck me as being somewhat of a chav/scally, though clearly he is not. I guess he's probably more a reflection of the people he has mixed with and grown up around than his actual parents.

Thanks for the clip Athenry04.

God I really hate people who revel in what a "hard life" they have had. 99% of the time they exaggerate for effect. As soon as I heard "most of you were born in a nice clean hospital", I thought here we go. I can't stand this "Trainspotting" style crap. Scumbags should not be glorified, though I respect his accomplishments in the boxing ring.

People who choose a "hard life" because they are too lazy to work, and instead would like to lazy around and rob people like many in the travelling community do, are not worthy of sympathy or respect. He could quite easily have been born in a hospital if his parents had taken him there. No one was excluding them in Ireland or the UK. Anybody can get a cleaning or labouring job for 200-250 a week. There are no legitimate excuses in this country for living the type of existence that they are trying to portray in that video, though many have excuses usually with someone else or society to blame.

People in the 3rd world are genuinely poor and have little opportunity to improve their lot in life. If those people tell me they have had a hard life, then I'm inclined to sympathise with them. Most are literally on the point of starvation due to their climate and a lack of provision from their governments. The benefits system in the UK means that people are only poor relative to one and other. Believe me, no one is really poor in this country. I have offered beggars food in the street on many occasions, only to be turned down because they want money. For drugs/alcohol of course.

Any film trying to glorify a little scrote like that, who openly admits to picking fights with people for no apparent reason, is a complete waste of time. People that carry on like that are life's failures, we don't need to hype up their lives with cool backing music and overdramatisation. It's just a sad way to live, pure and simple.

To be fair, his parents were on the way to the hospital when the car was involved in a crash. He was brought up in care, and I think his need to fight stemmed from this, as well as his traveller background, stealing also is/was a way of life for many youngsters. Although I agree with what your saying too many people are content to not work, whilst the rest of us slog our bollocks off.

The article below basically sums up his life, although there are elements missing.

Michael Gomez: The Man, The Myth, The Legend

Not amazed that a big guy knocked out a guy half his size who was coked up and drunk.

i dont care who you are. its not hard to sucker punch ko someonw, and its even easier if you're twice someones size.

Not only that, if this story is true. Chances are, the Bodybuilder will be bragging about it for the rest of his life.

The tabloid sunday papers in the UK are known for printing BS. If it did happen it was most likely a sucker punch to a drunk Hatton. With regards the cocaine use, is it really that big a deal??

Back