Ricky Hatton KO'd in bar fight

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by newburyMMA, Sep 11, 2010.

1. newburyMMA

newburyMMA Blue Belt

2. newburyMMA

newburyMMA Blue Belt

The fighter known as “the Hitman” was knocked out by a single punch to the face after an argument broke out over a fruit machine. A bodybuilder twice his size accused him of pushing in front of him in a queue for the *machine.

Hatton, 31, was knocked across tables and on to the floor. He then lay dazed on the floor of the Railway Inn in Hyde, Manchester, for several seconds.

3. Tobacco

Tobacco --------------------------------------------------

Looks like Ricky wants his own reality TV show or something.

Is that website a dependable source?

4. Wow Exuberant**

Wow Exuberant** Banned Banned

Jesus thats 2 articles about him today, first the cocaine now this.

5. newburyMMA

newburyMMA Blue Belt

Yeah its one of the biggest newspapers in the UK.

6. Morozevich

Morozevich Brown Belt

7. KimuraT15

KimuraT15 Banned Banned

must have been a sucker punch too. Get your shit together Ricky.

8. newburyMMA

newburyMMA Blue Belt

What i was thinking or he was wasted off drink and cocaine.

9. Peeping Tom

Peeping Tom White Belt

"Fruit Machine" is just a fancy name for "Gay Robot"?

Seriously, what the fuck Hatton, cocaine and now fighting with meatheads in a bar?
    And people ask what's wrong with boxing.

10. monsterxmonster

monsterxmonster SPOON NATION Platinum Member

And also one of the least reliable.

11. Smigg

Smigg Silver Belt

Fruit Machine = Slot Machine.

They're called Fruit Machines because the vast majority of them have pictures of Fruit on the rollers.

12. Enigma666**

Enigma666** Banned Banned

Damn! I guess Pacman didn't only destroy Ricky the boxer but also Ricky the person, This guy is completely on a path to self destruction. I feel bad for him, I hope he gets help.

13. ArchAngelos

ArchAngelos Blue Belt

Too bad Ricky.

14. ObsoleteSoul

ObsoleteSoul Don't pray. Act.

Amongst forgiving devils, and treasonous seraphim
    If the story is correct and the guy was way bigger than him, I feel bad. Shit happens sometimes, and there isn't anything you can do sometimes.

15. hoonosewot88

hoonosewot88 Brown Belt

The Mirror is one of the biggest papers in the UK, but it is in no way reliable, not even close. In all likelihood Hatton got suckerpunched by some big dude, fell backwards through some tables and clambered back up again. That's the sort of thing the Mirror would report as him getting KTFO.

16. Toasted

Toasted modal soul

You can take the man out of Manchester but you can't take the Manchester out of the man.

17. big ugly bear

big ugly bear Blue Belt

It doesn't suprise me at all actually.

Several years ago during the holidays whilst I was at uni, I worked with a few lads on a building site that told me of a similar incident. The site was near to Hyde, and these 3 lads were your typical innercity white, working class Mancunians- rough but honest, and I had no reason to doubt them.

It would have been around 2002-2003. This was a couple of years before Ricky was a legit world champ. I can't remember all the details or the guys name, but basically some local scumbag/drug dealer knocked Ricky out. I think they said it was outside a fish and chip shop, and a lot of the street urchins from the area had gathered round to watch. Don't know why or how the fight started, but I think from what they were saying Ricky knew of the guy or knew him or something. The guy in question had a huge reputation in the area. They also told me that he was bigger than me physically, and I would have have weighed a muscular 210lb at the time (at 5'10). So I guess that's why they have weight divisions in fight sports! Not sure if Ricky was drunk at the time, but 2 out of the 3 lads had seen the fight.

I'm sure if Ricky had this novice in a boxing ring, he would kill him pretty quick regardless of the size difference. But in real life, out on the street, you can sometimes find yourself fighting in an enclosed space where you don't have the time or space to start boxing. Then the size difference becomes more relevant.

Manchester's a very rough place, and there are far too many people looking to make a name for themselves. I know of loads of people who wouldn't think twice about having a go at a professional fighter, regardless of how the odds were stacked against them. The culture, deprivation and drugs are at the root of this attitude.

I had a guy come up to me at 9am in the morning wanting to fight me at a bus stop in Manchester. It was p**sing it down with rain at the time too! I was sporting a black eye from a sparring session at the gym a few days before- we used to spar without headguards. Like most guys who lift weights and train mma/boxing, I'm usually in clothes that show off my body to the ladies, lol. Sad, but we all know it's true. So I think the combiation of having a black eye and a muscular body (built along the same lines as a pre-prison Tyson, though 10lb lighter, 100 shades lighter :), and with a neck that looks half the size!) prompted this guy to cross over the road to tackle me.

I recognised the guys face, but I didn't know from where. He was probably all of 150lb. His nose was severly broken and he had loads of scar tissue around the eyes. I just thought he was some homeless guy that had been getting into trouble all of his life. His speech was slightly slurred but he didn't smell of drink, so I assumed he must be on drugs. I really didn't want to start fighting at that time of day in the pouring rain, with a complete stranger over absolutely nothing. I assumed based on his small size that he must have had a knife or something. The whole incident was embarrassing as there were two really fit student girls waiting for the bus also, so I didn't want to look like a wuss in front of them. At the same time, fighting was the last thing I wanted as I was on my way to give a presentation to my seminar group.

He twice tried to get in headbutting range whilst shouting at me, so I would take a half step back so as to be out of range. He was trying to goad me into fighting him. "So ye fink yer a f**king ard man de ye" he kept saying, and then he'd raise his voice as if trying to intimidate me further and holding his arms out to the sides in a 'have a go' kind of gesture. He asked me how I got the black eye, and I replied "just from training". I told him that I had no beef with anyone, so he was barking up the wrong tree trying to pick a fight with me. I gave the impression to him of being calm and in control, often smiling with my responses but my fists were clenched and I was literally ready to strike if he did make any sudden movement towards me. After a couple of minutes, the bus pulled up and I said (install polite English accent) "it's been nice talking to you, but I'm a busy man and I have to go now, so excuse me" and I pushed past him and got on the bus. He just stood there watching me on the bus as it drove off. One of the girls said to me on the bus "God that guy was absolutely crazy, I'm amazed you were so calm. You didn't look like you were bothered at all, and we thought he was gonna hit you at any moment". Incidentally, I was 7-1 as an amateur boxer at the time, fighting in the 90kg (200lb) class.

Fast forward 5-6 years. I had just finished watching Amir Khan v Michael Gomez, and Gomez was being interviewed on the huge HD screen at my local bar. With the HD close up on his face, I instantly recognised him as the guy who had tried to pick a fight with me several years before. It was the pro fighter in this case spoiling for a fight. I have been into boxing as a kid from the late 80s, and had seen Gomez's face in a boxing magazine and on normal tv, but's it's different when you see someone in real life. HD changes all that.

True story.

18. dubie86

dubie86 Brown Belt

feel bad for hatton, I also feel bad for his family & fiance

19. dubie86

dubie86 Brown Belt

thats a pretty intense story brotha, I believe you bc I dunno why you would even make that up & waste your own time. But props to you for keeping your cool.

but just to make sure: This they guy

[​IMG]

20. Athenry04

Athenry04 Black Belt

The guy in my AV?????? The great Michael Gomez?