Rickson Gracie vs. Fedor or Rickson Gracie vs. Sakuraba?

Which fight would you have rather seen happen?

• Total voters
It Doesn't matter who he fights; Rickson by armbar.

Wonder why Rickson never stepped in to fight Sakuraba to avenge the Gracies?
No need to wonder; he explains why for about the 10,000th time in Serra's podcast about a week or 2 ago.

Cliffs: was ready to fight, then his son died and he needed to take time and put his family first, then by the time he was ready mentally and emotionally, Sak wasn't what he was before, the crowd draw wasn't there anymore, and the offer was too low (like .25x).

His words not mine, so please don't argue with me over them. I just paraphrased them poorly. I gave you the source if you want to hear him explain it. Cheers.
~~~
IMO he loses to Sak in a timed match, beats Sak in a no time limit match, and always loses to Fedor.

Don’t see much way Rickson could have gotten Fedor off his feet and Fedor was likely too much for him standing in terms of power and speed. I’m a huge Sakuraba fan - love his style but for some reason I think Rickson would have beaten him with class AAA fundamentals. Sakuraba was so crafty but for some reason I think Rickson navigates all that and puts him to sleep or breaks his arm. But damn what a fight that could have been - it would have been a hell of a something for sure !

Fedor was the greatest fighter of the '00s
Saku the greatest fighter before Fedor era
Rickson the greatest before Saku era

Rickson-Saku, of course, because grappling would have been far more likely to come into play.

Fedor probably would have lit Rickson up, given the disparity in striking.

Sakuraba. They are similar in weight, and even though Rickson was much older (10 years older) it would have been a more fair fight weight wise. Plus it has the history.

He stopped competing after his son died.

*edit* I’m too slow around here.

No need to wonder; he explains why for about the 10,000th time in Serra's podcast about a week or 2 ago.

Cliffs: was ready to fight, then his son died and he needed to take time and put his family first, then by the time he was ready mentally and emotionally, Sak wasn't what he was before, the crowd draw wasn't there anymore, and the offer was too low (like .25x).

His words not mine, so please don't argue with me over them. I just paraphrased them poorly. I gave you the source if you want to hear him explain it. Cheers.
~~~
IMO he loses to Sak in a timed match, beats Sak in a no time limit match, and always loses to Fedor.

Ah, I figured his son’s death had something to do with his retirement. Wasn’t sure when it happened though.

[
He stopped competing after his son died.

*edit* I’m too slow around here.

~~~

Ah, I figured his son’s death had something to do with his retirement. Wasn’t sure when it happened though.

Dickson vs Fedora wouldn’t have been competitive as Fedora would of crushed him but the sakaraba fight was highly interesting and competitive. I think Dickson might’ve been able to avenge the Gracie’s there

Saku-Rickson is the biggest fight to never happen.
I honestly think Fedor would have been the favorite against Rickson and I think he'd beat Rickson easily.

Fedor-Rickson would have been an extremely bad night for Rickson.

20 years ago Sakuraba would have been in his early 30s. vs Rickson in his 40s. Rickson was family champion but he was a generation earlier. Their time passed when Pride came along. Royce would have got beaten easily if he fought Kerr.

This. Folks aren't considering that Saku is 10 years younger and Fedor 17 years younger than Rickson - they're a different generation of fighters.

Even still, 32 yo Saku vs. 42 yo Rickson would have been epic and probably the biggest fight that never happened outside of Khabib vs. Ferguson.

Fedor vs. Rickson would have been pointless and more akin to who would win IRL, 60 yo Rocky Balboa or 30 yo Mason "The Line" Dixon.

Either way Rickson would get destroyed, Fedor by brutal KO Saku by the same slow dismantling that Royce got.

Rickson by finish vs. Sak fairly easily, assuming both are in their prime.

Is it fair to say sakuraba was eliminated from the challengers list for taking 1.5 hours to make Royce quit?

After watching that fight, could you possibly believe his chance of defeating big brother who's supposed to be 10 times stronger?

Sakuraba and Rickson was the fight to make in the day. Rickson bitched out hard. I think he would have done well against Sakuraba, but seems he didnt want to risk an "L" and add the final (big) Gracie head to his wall of trophies. Instead we saw Royce go in and get embarrassed.

It's unfortunate these two fights never materialize. I would have loved to see Rickson fight both of these guys. But if I had to pick one it would be Sakuraba just because it would be a much closer fight and if he beats Rickson that would be just a huge addition to his legacy and absolutely amazing to watch.

I honestly think Fedor would have been the favorite against Rickson and I think he'd beat Rickson easily.

Sakuraba would have been a more intriguing fight just because Sakurabu would probably be the underdog I believe. And I don't know who would win this fight, it would be close imo.

It's too bad these fights never happened.
Rickson vs Saku for sure if for nostalgia alone. Fedor would maul him, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back