• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RICKSON GRACIE (The FUTURE of Jiu-Jitsu, ENDORSES Ryron & Rener's Curriculum, Gracie University)

Then going with Torrance option would suit you best with your majority.

I already explained the limitations of training with strikes. It is not that great.
You are just larping and in real life you would get demolished.

Instead of larping for 3 hours per week with your training partner throwing fake haymakers and using your skills.

Train sparring BJJ for real under sport rules or just become a mma fighter and spar mma.

Why would I throw hymakers? I do train MMA, and I train "bjj with strikes" as "mma on the ground", and believe me, you DO notice the difference... It forces you to adapt your techniques to strikes, leting go of those that let you more exposed,etc... It all becomes more about clinching than creating space... It's a very different game and if you have rolled with strikes you know it.

What I feel sometimes is that people felt in love with "bjj with strikes" but they are just afraid to roll that way..., so they decide to take the "scary" part out and call that jiu jitsu aswell... Let's just call it sport jiu jitsu and be done with it, because it clearly is not the same thing... it just isn't... I don't care much about the bear hug kind of things, but rolling without strikes? That is not jiu jitsu, it's a different and still fun thing to do, but just don't call two different things by the same name, because it's confusing for retards like me who think you shouldn't get your blue belt until you've survived at least a round with somebody trying to punch and kick you...

I'm not a self defense guy, I'm more of an MMA guy I guess, so don't tell me about throwing haymakers or bringing pistols and katanas to class, I don't care about that, but rolling with strikes should be mandatory, and the Torrance guys do that where most gyms nowadays don't... so congrats to them!

Why would I throw hymakers? I do train MMA, and I train "bjj with strikes" as "mma on the ground", and believe me, you DO notice the difference... It forces you to adapt your techniques to strikes, leting go of those that let you more exposed,etc... It all becomes more about clinching than creating space... It's a very different game and if you have rolled with strikes you know it.

What I feel sometimes is that people felt in love with "bjj with strikes" but they are just afraid to roll that way..., so they decide to take the "scary" part out and call that jiu jitsu aswell... Let's just call it sport jiu jitsu and be done with it, because it clearly is not the same thing... it just isn't... I don't care much about the bear hug kind of things, but rolling without strikes? That is not jiu jitsu, it's a different and still fun thing to do, but just don't call two different things by the same name, because it's confusing for retards like me who think you shouldn't get your blue belt until you've survived at least a round with somebody trying to punch and kick you...

I'm not a self defense guy, I'm more of an MMA guy I guess, so don't tell me about throwing haymakers or bringing pistols and katanas to class, I don't care about that, but rolling with strikes should be mandatory, and the Torrance guys do that where most gyms nowadays don't... so congrats to them!

YNV4G.gif

For years I've been hearing BJJ people tell karate, taekwondo etc "you're art is no good for a REAL fight" and that was met with argument between the two sides. Now here comes GA, Rickson, Pedro Sauer, Valente Bros etc saying to BJJ people "you're art is not sufficient for a real fight" and now the sport BJJ people feel just as offended as the kung fu and karate people did.

I was there during the filming of the video in the OP.

Rickson said that when he first started teaching seminars in America (~20 to 25 years ago) all of the black belts who took his seminars were from Karate, Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, Judo, etc.

They were all IMPRESSED at how effective, efficient, and amazing the self-defense fighting techniques of this new "Gracie" Jiu-Jitsu were. The effortless and effective application of the techniques on fully resisting seminar participants seemed "magical".

Today, he gets the same feeling of amazement and feedback at his seminars. Only this time, all of the black belts are "BJJ" Black Belts. :(:eek:

It is not as much as I get offended about it.

Like I said I think training with strikes and self defense had real limitations.
It was about so many scenarios of this guy grab this way. And then, grab this way instead! Or just a bs haymaker strike. Like aikido.

I have to be greedy with my training program as I only teach 100 class per year and must ensure and maximize the outcome.

For example, I had to reject some techniques that required more strength but still legit JJ techniques because I am limited on time and cannot waste student time.
You know if you open a GTC you would not be limited to 100 classes a year. You should check it out.

Rickson said that when he first started teaching seminars in America (~20 to 25 years ago) all of the black belts who took his seminars were from Karate, Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, Judo, etc.

They were all IMPRESSED at how effective, efficient, and amazing the self-defense fighting techniques of this new "Gracie" Jiu-Jitsu were. The effortless and effective application of the techniques on fully resisting seminar participants seemed "magical".

Today, he gets the same feeling of amazement and feedback at his seminars. Only this time, all of the black belts are "BJJ" Black Belts. :(:eek:

Rickson has been the most magical man in all of BJJ for 40 years running now.

From the various stories going around, he was impressing the best BJJ black belts in Brazil with "magical" techniques 20-25 years ago too.

The biggest change seems to be that there are just a lot more gringo BJJ black belts in America today. But Rickson stunning BJJ black belts with "magical" powers is supposed to have been happening for 40 years now -- in Brazil, in America, in Japan, wherever.

Sport vs. Self defense jiu jitsu is like eating a cheese burger with buns or wrapped in lettuce.

At first you're like "what the fuck?", then you adapt to it REALLY quickly. As in almost instantaneously.

The discussion between sport vs. SD BJJ is really stupid and is perpetuated by people who never got in a real fight.

The discussion between sport vs. SD BJJ is really stupid and is perpetuated by people who never got in a real fight.

Like who? Unless you mean the sport guys who think sport BJJ is the same as GJJ with real SD training involved in it.

I think the issue is that a large number of people are not taking it to fight anymore or they are just more vocal about it. If a gym has a good competition team they will get more students and more money. But they sadly do not prepare them for the original intent of BJJ----to be better at fighting.

Like many people I saw Royce beating all these dudes and was like "I want to know this". Now people do it for sport or to lose weight or for a hobby.
Like the guys in america who started training in the late 80s/early 90s they were doing it for fighting.

Also, did everyone miss when Rickson said he wants a "championship" for self defence (but without "fighting each other)?
So, Jiu Jitsu is gonna have a Kata division now?

Jiu Jitsu self defense competitions are already a real thing.

When I say champion, I am talking about ibjjf world champions.

The real champions

What???

So ADCC champions are not real champions because it's not IBJJF? IBJJF nogi champions are more legit than ADCC champions? Champions who win by advantages are more legit than champions that partake in submission only comps, just because the later are not IBJJF?

I'm aware of agendas, but this is insane nonsense.

I like to bag on GU as much as anyone, but this is a positive step. There was never any issue with the curriculum, it was the selling of online blue belts that was the problem. Now they've eliminated that, which is great. I'd prefer they start rolling Day 1 or as close to it as possible, but they're making progress.

Some of us have not forgotten when they said on their website that they will promote up to brown belt via online video. And you come for one week course at Torrance for bb.

And they no longer do it. Everyone makes mistakes but not many owe up to it and they did. Rickson had to set them straight and it happened.

I think what actually happened is they got up to Blue Belt Stripe 2 or 3 and more or less ran out of techniques and then realized they weren't going to be able to take this approach any further. Because, you know, at some point advancement is really no longer about learning new techniques. Kinda surprised they didn't realize this sooner when putting together their grand idea of online training, but I guess the $ signs were clouding their thinking.

Ryron and Rener have made three significant changes to the Gracie Academy belt system:

1) Creation of a "Gracie Combatives” Belt
2) Sparring Required Before Blue Belt
3) No More "Online Blue Belts"

Their curriculum has always been solid, I'm glad their business model is less controversial now. As far as i'm concerned it's impossible to hate (I'll stick my hand up and say I did in the past) those are quality changes.

...confirmed as Rener!

I like to bag on GU as much as anyone, but this is a positive step. There was never any issue with the curriculum, it was the selling of online blue belts that was the problem. Now they've eliminated that, which is great. I'd prefer they start rolling Day 1 or as close to it as possible, but they're making progress.

I like that the blue belt test consists of three different sparring scenarios: gigi, no-gi and Vale tudo.

Like who? Unless you mean the sport guys who think sport BJJ is the same as GJJ with real SD training involved in it.

I mean to people like you.

The way GJJ is going is like Chinese Kung Fu. What originally started as a deadly martial art turn into different "styles" through centuries of politics. Each claiming their "style" was more unique, more original, more applicable, more for the common people, and more deadly than the other style.

The branding of "GJJ" is the first step towards that future where we're all separated by different "style" of the art we call BJJ.

The future, the branding of BJJ will be:
"My style is designed specifically for this situation. Your situation doesn't apply because it's not real life. If you don't believe me, I had a champion that proved it x00 years ago."

Then we'll be discussing about the "situations" in which your "style" applies to. Which gets involved in super hypothetical and theories about fighting: "if you do this, I will do this and this."

I mean, this is how kung fu became this way. It go so bad that this was what kung fu turned into:

You are wasting your time.

Time and time again, people came to defend their actions and it is always the same story.

"We might not be good at sport competition but we train for the streets".

You know what. I wanted to add self defence into my program

There were 2 options.

Train an endless list of scenarios which could never happen.

Train with gloves on. But then one person would have to mimick a street fighter and could not use jiu jitsu. It quickly degenerated into BJJ with strikes.

Well, it was not great training and I no longer do it.

But yeah, i don't think you really need to go to Torrance in order to wear some mma gloves and get your training partner to throw some haymakers.

Bro, once not long ago, I asked you if my you have watched then combatives dvd, you answered to me that you haven't, now have you ever watched the video?

The sd aspect is great, getting some gloves on and sparring should be part of every sd, but how can you expect anyone to use Bjj to defend via strikes if they do not yet master the basic techniques..

IMHO the situations presented in the combatives course are very realistic, it resembles vey little with what people might think is a SD program (grab here there and here me there, I shall do this)

Would you please post what is it that you find worthless and unrealic from the course, that would absolutely not help you when you are starting Bjj...

honestly, there is absolutely no way in hell you could hate the program so much if you had ever watched it.

The way GJJ is going is like Chinese Kung Fu. What originally started as a deadly martial art turn into different "styles" through centuries of politics. Each claiming their "style" was more unique, more original, more applicable, more for the common people, and more deadly than the other style.

The branding of "GJJ" is the first step towards that future where we're all separated by different "style" of the art we call BJJ.

The future, the branding of BJJ will be:
"My style is designed specifically for this situation. Your situation doesn't apply because it's not real life. If you don't believe me, I had a champion that proved it x00 years ago."

Then we'll be discussing about the "situations" in which your "style" applies to. Which gets involved in super hypothetical and theories about fighting: "if you do this, I will do this and this."

I mean, this is how kung fu became this way. It go so bad that this was what kung fu turned into:

Some its marketing of course, you can't denied that Gracie's did and unique approach to fighting, where they the only ones in the world putting up strategies to fight on the ground? Probably not but at that time, they were the ones with most success or marketing it the best.

Gjj is nothjng more than a approach to fighting..it his however a ma foucus on fighting

Dude, as soon as you start training I will start giving a shit about what you say on here. You have been here since 2004 so it is either take an intro class now or never. My guess would be the latter.

so what if I don't train? Doesn't make my point less valid.

T-bone will back me up on this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back