Rich Franklin vs David Loiseau Score Cards

I hate that Starnes wasn't DQ'd for timidity. Why have that rule if you're not going to enforce it?

Never bothered looking at these score cards before, 2 judges scored the first round 10-8, 1 scored the third 10-8

But the dickhead still lost....
avj8me.jpg

Interesting that they would make remarks such as " great comeback by Silva".

Kinda cool.

That sounds about as lopsided as it could possibly get.

I remember watching that fight when it happened. I remember it being a beatdown. But I dont specifically remember any rounds being 10-8. I might have to go back and re-watch it. I remember Rich broke his hand and his foot in this fight, so that's probably why he wasnt able to push for the finish.

Before the Silva fights, Franklin was dominant when he was champ. I think a lot of people forget this.

Defended his belt like 2 times?

Absolutely, Rich was a stud. If it wasn't for Anderson I think Rich would've rule MW for a while, I'd certainly pick him over Lutter, Marquadt, Cote & Lietes.

Going back to lopsided decisions, I don't recall any other fight being given such low scores in consecutive fights as Nam Phan.

Hettes & Siver both got a 30-25 against him (maybe it was consecutive fights)

Actually GSP Fitch was a 50-43 by one judge, I think both the others scored him less than 45 as well (just looked, 50-44 twice)
I would pick prime Marquardt over Franklin.

David Loiseau was one of them older guys who people might kind a forget these days. he was legit on the feet and pretty good.

One of the forgotten warriors under that chuck era sadly. Rememebr when Robbie was one of those? Crazy that you never know who will spring back to a good level of title fights.

I remember Dean Lister's loss to Nate Marquardt being pretty fucking bad. Yep, the Wiki page has the scores: 30–27, 30–25, 30–25

Rewatch Franklin vs. Loiseau in fastforward. It is a merry-go-round.

It's also good to note that maybe people believed the Crow would beat Franklin.

Franklin was the underdog going into the fight.

To be fair, the version of David Loiseau we saw in that fight bore zero resemblance to the guy who earned the shot, and he was never the same after the beatdown.

Too much too soon I guess?

Interesting that they would make remarks such as " great comeback by Silva".

Kinda cool.

I thought that was kind of odd, can't make out who the commissioner was, Frank someone?

Rich wasn''t the same fighter after The Crow. David Loiseau is the reason Rich broke both hands and 1 foot.

Absolutely, Rich was a stud. If it wasn't for Anderson I think Rich would've rule MW for a while, I'd certainly pick him over Lutter, Marquadt, Cote & Lietes.

Going back to lopsided decisions, I don't recall any other fight being given such low scores in consecutive fights as Nam Phan.

Hettes & Siver both got a 30-25 against him (maybe it was consecutive fights)

Actually GSP Fitch was a 50-43 by one judge, I think both the others scored him less than 45 as well (just looked, 50-44 twice)

Rich definitely would have beaten those guys, but most people don't realize the damage rich was taking during training back then. His career was shortened because of damage he took during training.

Most people don't know this, but back when rich was training with Billy Rush, Rich had been knocked out cold several times by Joe Riggs during sparring. One of the ko's was leading up to franklins first fight with Anderson. That's why riggs was so hyped back in the day by rogan and goldberg.

Riggs has been known as one of the best fighters in the world in the gym, but suffers from severe anxiety issues that hinder his performances on fight night.

They just couldn't come out and say that the current middleweight champion was getting battered in the gym by a new ufc middleweight that wasn't even a contender yet.

Franklin would have dominated for several more years, but he was losing his chin at a rapid rate.

This fight was a damn fun one that the majority of folks on here have just never seen. If you watch it, it'll become clear very quickly just how well-rounded Rich was. You'll also see a long drawn out domination with a nice flash KD from the man getting battered, only to have it go all wrong within 30 seconds and return to getting smoked. Forgot how much ground work there was in this one... and just how badly Rich man handled the Crow.

Franklin gets classified as a striker a lot and to be sure that was his most proficient area of fighting, but the guy was also a VERY good grappler and I would have liked to see him use it more during his UFC run back in his prime. Great clinch take downs, scrambled like a beast, and one of those guys that just has a knack for hitting armbars from top or bottom. As he got older he kind of abandoned this part of his game sadly.

This fight was a damn fun one that the majority of folks on here have just never seen. If you watch it, it'll become clear very quickly just how well-rounded Rich was. You'll also see a long drawn out domination with a nice flash KD from the man getting battered, only to have it go all wrong within 30 seconds and return to getting smoked. Forgot how much ground work there was in this one... and just how badly Rich man handled the Crow.

Franklin gets classified as a striker a lot and to be sure that was his most proficient area of fighting, but the guy was also a VERY good grappler and I would have liked to see him use it more during his UFC run back in his prime. Great clinch take downs, scrambled like a beast, and one of those guys that just has a knack for hitting armbars from top or bottom. As he got older he kind of abandoned this part of his game sadly.

I dont agree with hyping up Rich's grappling like that, based on opposition like David Loiseau, who was a notoriously weak grappler.

When Franklin faced Lutter and Okami, Franklin's grappling was pretty exposed. Yeah, he survived (was very close to get finished by both) but was still pretty much manhandled.

The Silva fights are also a very bad look of Franklin's grappling. A profficient grappler doesnt get manhandled like that from the clinch, much less by a lighter man, as good as Silva was.
A late Dan Henderson who barely used his wrestling anymore grinded out a dec vs Rich too.

On the other hand, who are the best graplers Franklin imposed his grappling on?

Franklin was very well-rounded for the time, and his approach in the standup helped him defend grapplers, but when he got actually engaged in grappling echanges with profficient grapplers, the flaws arised pretty often.

Back