Reyes Velcro Review

i used to sparr in winnings but over here in the uk the guy's sparr in cheap very dense gloves and i found it a bit of a disadvantage when i was hitting them with pillows and i was getting hit with bricks. So i got a pair of reyes and i never looked back i love them for sparring. I agree 100% reyes are no good for training ie heavy bag work just not enough padding, i use my winning for that and my hands have thanked me for it.

Exactly my experience. People here use 10 oz. bricks for everything. I will never spar in Winning again. I have them for a bag. Got recently Punchtown 16 oz. for 30 quid - perfectly fine for sparring lol

^^^^ 12's are excellent on the bag and will hold up for years, but you won't be fitting winning guards underneath. Way too snug, tried it myself with my 12's last week.

Edit: for USMC

Exactly my experience. People here use 10 oz. bricks for everything. I will never spar in Winning again. I have them for a bag. Got recently Punchtown 16 oz. for 30 quid - perfectly fine for sparring lol

10oz dammmmm i bet there are a few black eyes at your gym after sparring sessions lol. Never owned punchdown but been hit by them, there ok gloves. The guy who i know has a pair has had them for 8 months and there still going strong.

I think people often confuse the layers or thickness of padding with quality of padding. Ive trained with 14oz reyes on the heavy bag, maybe its just me.

I dont like gloves with so much padding (not directed towards winning) when I cant feel my hand when i land the punch. Often, guys in the gym come in with hugely padded gloves and they punch fingers 1st instead of knuckles 1st and complain about stiffness.

#2 I dont buy into the ringside garbage. So many countless times the IMF leaves bumps on the gloves, or the colors bleed, amoung many other things.

If you say I cant give Reyes 10/10, I wonder what you rate the ringside imfs then 5/10?

Also, i have a question for you guys. This is not a troll, but Im assuming everyone wraps their hands prior to hitting the bag or sparring?

10oz dammmmm i bet there are a few black eyes at your gym after sparring sessions lol. Never owned punchdown but been hit by them, there ok gloves. The guy who i know has a pair has had them for 8 months and there still going strong.

For 30 quid they were a steal. Actually they are 18 oz. (despite marked 16 oz.). More than generous considering what the other guys use lol
Not only black eyes, but blood, cuts etc. Insane. Though I usually choose only those who have at least 12 oz. Top Ten or so lol

For 30 quid they were a steal. Actually they are 18 oz. (despite marked 16 oz.). More than generous considering what the other guys use lol
Not only black eyes, but blood, cuts etc. Insane. Though I usually choose only those who have at least 12 oz. Top Ten or so lol

shihtzu Is your gym a boxing or mma gym were you train?

I think people often confuse the layers or thickness of padding with quality of padding. Ive trained with 14oz reyes on the heavy bag, maybe its just me.

I dont like gloves with so much padding (not directed towards winning) when I cant feel my hand when i land the punch. Often, guys in the gym come in with hugely padded gloves and they punch fingers 1st instead of knuckles 1st and complain about stiffness.

#2 I dont buy into the ringside garbage. So many countless times the IMF leaves bumps on the gloves, or the colors bleed, amoung many other things.

If you say I cant give Reyes 10/10, I wonder what you rate the ringside imfs then 5/10?

I don't think somebody here confuses the thickness and the quality. Reyes are actually reasonably thick.

And Winning are not than much thick as people usually say, they are pretty average.

Hitting with fingers has a lot more to do with the fingers compartment length and the shape of the gloves rather than with the thickness of the padding. Ringside are classic Pakistani imf gloves - a very round shape = never land perfectly with knuckles. Though they are still better than AIBA style Pakistani gloves like Top Ten, Green Hill etc.

Mate, how could one compare Ringside to Reyes? It's a blasphemy. I am not much happy with the protection of Reyes, but they are an another planet, another universe than Rinsgide anyway.

shihtzu Is your gym a boxing or mma gym were you train?

A gym of fools lol Surprisingly it is a boxing gym.

I don't think somebody here confuses the thickness and the quality. Reyes are actually reasonably thick.

And Winning are not than much thick as people usually say, they are pretty average.

Hitting with fingers has a lot more to do with the fingers compartment length and the shape of the gloves rather than with the thickness of the padding. Ringside are classic Pakistani imf gloves - a very round shape = never land perfectly with knuckles. Though they are still better than AIBA style Pakistani gloves like Top Ten, Green Hill etc.

Mate, how could one compare Ringside to Reyes? It's a blasphemy. I am not much happy with the protection of Reyes, but they are an another planet, another universe than Rinsgide anyway.

In a gym of fools lol Surprisingly it is a boxing gym.

lol yes mine's a boxing gym but the coach at mine is very strict always checks every ones gloves before sparring below 16oz he wont let you in the ring, if you have a fight coming up tho, a few week before the fight we do a few rounds in 10oz to get use to being hit like you would on fight night. you can defo tell the difference in the power of the shots

And for the record, let it be known I love Winning.

^^^^ 12's are excellent on the bag and will hold up for years, but you won't be fitting winning guards underneath. Way too snug, tried it myself with my 12's last week.

Edit: for USMC

But you wouldn't even need NG-2's for a 10 or 12oz winning right since the protection is already so good? I'll probably go for 10oz since i've never tried that size of glove before and in winning this would be the most protective way to go...especially for a guy only 135 pounds :icon_lol:

I'm expecting to be blown away since i've only used 12oz rivals before and they suck...I do not like rival at all...highly overrated and overpriced for their quality. Also they haven't heard of laces before it seems...making all these stupid velcro straps that wrap around 50 different ways is getting ridiculous.

I dont know Im still trying to figure out this one myself.

I dont know Im still trying to figure out this one myself.
I had ringside gloves there ok gloves for the price good hand protection, Ended up selling mine in the end, on ebay. Id never sell my reyes that say's it all really

1. Gonz did you read the review? I clearly stated Reyes were NOT the most protective, but I also state they are far from worst.

2. I also state winning and Reyes were the only gloves worthy of 10s in my experience. Again, failed to read the review. I never bash winnings only in jest when I stated Reyes had better leather.

3. I dont train with every pro out there, so your claim that "None of the pro's" using them is a pretty bold, and inaccurate. If you said none of the pros you knew of train with them, that would have been a little better of a statement.

Even still this statement really bothers me. I train 4-5x a week with my Reyes, am I a pro, no i am not. Is my livelyhood based soley on boxing? No, they arent and I am not a professional boxer nor claim to be one. If I was training for a major fight with $$$s on the line, I would want the most protective glove on the market to protect my hands. But I dont do 3x a day work outs like Mayweather, I dont even go on a daily basis. Fact is Im just some guy in the Airforce that does boxing to train, and spar. Ive logged in rounds with pro fighters here in spokane. They have never once complained about my gloves. I feel they are the most experienced in this aspect.

Juan Manuel Marquez Sparring using a Reyes Glove, I think hes a pro... :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIpgJdz_Wzo

4. Doesnt cleto reyes make a 16oz "Sparring" Glove?

Not looking for a battle here Gonzaginator, but in my review I think I fairly access the Reyes glove and its possible downfalls for some. Again in my "Overall" accessment I believe I say Reyes and winning are 2 gloves with 2 different purposes, so again I state the obvious. Downfalls that dont detract from the glove but downfalls in the sense of maximum protection. I'm not encourging people with hand or thumb issues to get these gloves, infact I imply that winning is a better choice if you have these issues.

If you like winnings, so do I. I agree with you they are awesome a perfect 10 on the glove as a matter of fact. I am not reviewing winnings however, I plan to at a later time. If you felt my review was unfair lemme know.
I did read the review, otherwise I wouldn't be able to tell what you wrote or what your opinion is/was. :icon_neut

1) To say that the Reyes are not the most protective gloves is like saying getting shot in the head might not be too good for your health. They are among the least protective gloves out there, I can't come up with a glove that has less and/or softer padding than the Reyes.

2) And I don't agree with you on both points. Reyes does not have better leather, and the Reyes definitely don't deserve 10 out of 10 points. Unless you want to just ignore the fact that they hardly offer any protection. You just can't ignore that, that's one of the key things, that's the point of boxing gloves, they should protect your hands first and foremost.

3) You don't have to train with pro's. Watch all the elite boxers out there, nobody uses Reyes in training. Why would they? Pacman, Floyd, Margarito, Cotto, Mosley, Hopkins, the Klitschkos, Haye, Chisora, Canelo, I don't care who, they all use Winning. Floyd mixes it up with Grant/Winning, but that's mainly because he's the face of Grant and he has to use them. If you watch those tapes on youtube that people post of Floyd sparring or hitting the bag without the 24/7 crew around, he usually trains in Winning gloves. Point is, nobody uses Reyes. Not even the mexicans.

4) I'm not sure what glove you refer to. They do have a glove with more padding, I had a pair of those. They have a good amount of padding, maybe 50% more padding than the normal training glove. Those are way better for training and I'm not saying anything bad about those.

Look, if you like them, if you don't have any issues with your hands with those Reyes, they might be perfect for you. But in general I'd say that people would rather have a different glove with more padding that offers more protection. So for the average Joe on this board that wants to take up boxing I don't think these Reyes gloves are a 10/10. However I do think that anybody that tries the Winning gloves and uses them for training will give it a 10. There's just no downside. The fit is better, you just can't argue that. The quality, who knows. I think the Winnings are better, but I have no idea, maybe they're both the same. The protection is way better, that can't be argued. I think in my (two) reviews of the Reyes gloves I have I gave them 8.5/10 but I did point out that they're more for people that are looking for a specific glove (less and softer padding) and not so much for people that want a glove with lots of padding to protect their hands.

But let's agree to disagree. I get what you're saying, they're perfect for you so for you they're a 10/10. I have no problem with that. But it sounded more like you're generally stating that they're 10/10 for everybody out there, when they really are special/rare type of training gloves that a lot of people might not like because of the fit and the padding.

Also @SRCR
I ripped open a pair of Reyes gloves here and posted some pictures. So I know exactly what's inside and what the padding is like. Those were actually the sparring gloves you were referring to with more padding. :wink:

I like the Reyes gloves myself, I'm not saying they're bad or even average. They're really good gloves BUT you just have to add that little "not the best training gloves" out there because people usually want a glove for training that offers good protection. Plus if you spar with them, people will complain eventually. They'll feel your knuckles through the padding if you hit hard and don't just throw soft jabs. If they don't care about that feel free to use them in sparring as well. But again, you don't have any of those issues with Winning gloves. So I can't rank them up there with Winning because with Winnings there's not one negative thing you can say really, except for the price. Everything else is absolutely top notch, from protection, quality, fit, and the fact that they're perfect for everything, whether it's the bag, mitts, sparring, whatever. Reyes are perfect for fights, but definitely not perfect for training (sparring, bag etc.). You were a little vague here and there, sometimes you'd say the Reyes are the best (period) and then you'd say that you can't say if they're better than the Winnings. And then you give them 10/10 even though the fit is not the best and they have very little padding. Anything between 8.5 and 9 would have done the job I think. :wink:

That's just my take. :)

Gonzaginator, with that being said, are the Reyes #2 in your book right behind Winnings?

Hey Gonz...quality post...and strato has made a quality review and posts also...so I'm riding with both of you! However, gotta call you out on the nobody uses Reyes...because my favorite fighter besides FMJr...Juan Manuel Marquez...is all Reyes baby and he makes it look amazing with the intensity he trains at. He uses winning now for sparring to protect his partners...but on bag, pad, body shield, etc...he uses 16oz reyes at first, and gradually goes to 14, 12, 10 as he nears a fight. Sure every so often he'll throw on a winning glove but he is primarily Reyes. Love the way Marquez trains...inspires my style a lot!

Also...have you posted a review of the training gloves? What oz size recommendations do you have for that based on ranges of what a person weighs/what do you have to say about them? I'm assuming that OP bought the traditional hook and loop training gloves and you're talking about the traditional lace gloves or possibly the extra padded lace glove seen here.

http://www.lockwoodsboxing.com/official_boxing_gloves.htm

Also sweet jesus! Lockwoods just got in 12, 14, and 16oz GREEN Reyes gloves (i know this is all you guys are going to take away from my post) in limited quantities...dig in guys if you want them...wish i wasn't saving for winnings right now lol

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...044590.-2207520000.1369081898.&type=3&theater

I totally get ur point :) im not peeved. But i did link a marquez vid training w reyes on.

And i agree ill clear things up here for any mis communication. Winning are the most protective both for sparring, bag, and mitt work.

I believe (my opinion) that the leather on reyes is superior.

Quality and craftsmanship other than the leather mentioned above they are both outstanding.

Reyes is not for everyone. And i apologize if i ranked reyes above winning. That was never my intention.

I will edit my review to make certain points a bit more clear that way no one buys Reyes with the wrong intentions of what they were made for.

Don't edit the review mate...there is no need. It's your opinion, not somebody else's...that should be in the review...and we all appreciate your opinion. Stand by it...if we all had the same opinion or wanted to conform to the same opinion over time...it would make things boring. I like your passion in the review as it is...throwing in random changes now might detract from that and actually make the review seem worse/make it seem contradictory, fluffy, or confusing.

No i dont plan on changing my ratings or how I feel about the gloves. I just want to edit it to make it clear they arent on winnings level in terms of Protection. Thats all.

3) You don't have to train with pro's. Watch all the elite boxers out there, nobody uses Reyes in training. Why would they? Pacman, Floyd, Margarito, Cotto, Mosley, Hopkins, the Klitschkos, Haye, Chisora, Canelo, I don't care who, they all use Winning. Floyd mixes it up with Grant/Winning, but that's mainly because he's the face of Grant and he has to use them. If you watch those tapes on youtube that people post of Floyd sparring or hitting the bag without the 24/7 crew around, he usually trains in Winning gloves. Point is, nobody uses Reyes. Not even the mexicans.
well.. let's not go overboard

Here's Marquez and his sparring partner using Reyes

marquez-training5.jpg

Malignaggi sparring in Reyes

hqdefault.jpg

Canelo in Reyes

Saul_Alvarez.jpg

etc etc

These are just subjective glove preferences. Obviously Reyes and Winning are very different and would appeal to different people, who cares if more people are going to like Winning or not? The review is by someone who really likes these Reyes. There's already plenty of other reviews with different, and in some cases more accurate opinions from my point of view, but no need to go on about it and get all up in arms in the Winning bandwagon.

Back