• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rewatch Rewatched BJ vs. GSP I

You keep saying modern standards, I havent watched the fight in years but you might be right. BUT, this was judged in a time when Octagon control was the first thing you judged a fight on. That wasn’t changed until years later.

It was kind of his undoing though.. was way overconfident going into second fight and got wrecked .
It was that and lack of discipline to really put in the work. BJ kept trying to rely on his natural fighting ability, but that is nothing without a gas tank. It's like having a high-powered engine but no gas in the car. He still needed to put in the work and that's really why he got losses, he coasted while others trained harder than he did. Plus others kept evolving their skillset while he also became stagnant. Still an all-time great though, he could've had a better legacy though if he just changed things up at the end.

Been a while since I watched but I remember thinking bj won the first round easy and then proceeded to lose a quite clear decision. Will need to rewatch I guess

Reactions: HHJ
Lol at BJ winning round 2 in the standup, you're too fixated on GSP's bloody face from the first round you just assume BJ won the standup in the second round. BJ slowed down considerably by the second round, GSP was more active and landed more there.

Round 2 was how you should score the fight. I think BJ did better than people remember.

I have to rewatch it. I watched the fight once a few years ago, but I remember feeling like it was a clear 29-28 win for GSP.

GSP win rounds 2 and 3, clearly. If you think otherwise, you are either a BJ nuthugger or GSP hater. The seconds was closer than the first but still an obvious 10 - 9 GSP

BJ did great in the first round, then did sweet fuck all.

It's pretty strange to see the majority sentiment of dismissal toward Penn from forum members here who apparently are too lazy to actually go back and watch fights from before their introduction to the sport, or too dim to discern the skills in those fights without Dana telling them who he thinks won, or both.

I never actually had any emotional investment in him winning (in fact, I always cheered against him), but his skills were top class. Takedown defense prowess that can't simply be taught, and even if you did get him down, you were done anyway, because he would outgrapple you, and no one really wanted any of those hands.
Noone before your post even slightly dismissed BJ Penns skills though... so you are arguing with who?

Watched this fight multiple times and don't think there's any argument at all for BJ winning this one. Felt the exact same about Forrest vs Rampage and BJ vs Edgar 1, never understood the controversy at all.
Luckily they fought again and GSP proved that he was by far the superior fighter.

GSP's face was completely wrecked from BJ's boxing.

This shouldn't be criteria for judging who won, BJ's face in comparison was unscratched even though GSP landed lots of punches/kicks

I remember it being really really close, first time I watched it I thought BJ won, second time I thought GSP edged it.

One thing's for sure though, GSP made BJ his bitch in the rematch.

Back