Revisiting Schaub’s terrible stand up special

You're a sad person if you feel good posting a gif of a hack wanna be fighter and comedian getting a lucky punch in on a legend top 10 hw.
9c81ec43f93ab5caad495fc6153da935.gif

Wtf do we need to revisit it since it was so bad? How about we just let it die. Didn’t think about it until I saw this thread, what’s the point of bringing it up and giving that turd nugget free publicity?
Mediocre things need to be forgotten. However, when things are historically bad they need to revisited not just as a tale of caution but to be explored and marveled at.

reminder to all of you that schaub spent that entire fight wall and stalling Mirko

he just held him there and hit him in the back of the head blatantly liike a MILlion times...
finally got the knockout...

Brendan is such a douchebag

I think Rogan and Callen deserve the lion's share of the blame here because they fucking know better. Even if Schaub had a great comedy mind (he doesn't) and was a promising comedian (he isn't), it would STILL have been way too early to do his first special.

Jerry Seinfeld started standup in the mid 70s and had his first hour special in 1987. Bill Burr started in the early 90s and had his first hour special in 2008. Dave Chappelle started in 1990, first special in 2000. Louis CK started in the late 80s and had his first hour special in 2007. Even a guy who rushed into it like Eddie Murphy, he started in '76 and did Delirious in '83.

So to push an ex-football and MMA lunkhead like Schaub into doing an hour special less than 3 years after becoming a comedian (and taking into the fact those 3 years were performing in front of soft, friendly Fighter and the Kid/Rogan crowds who were already big fans and weren't going to heckle him for shitty material), it was an absolute recipe for disaster and Rogan and Callen had to know this.

Honest question: Did Rogan and Callen tell him to record one? Or produce it?

Not sure why they get the lions share of the blame, it’s not like they can stop him if he was offered money. I thought Rogan even said it was too soon at one point

Why is this thread not in the wastleland ?

Schaub's comedy is terrible but this video rags on him for "lying" in his comedy - newsflash - all comedians lie in their comedy. They're telling jokes and they change reality to suit the joke.

Stand up is hard. I've performed as a musician probably close to a 100 times on stage over the years. I've done stand up about 15 times I think. No comparison in regards to how difficult it is to be good.
I've probably seen a few hundred low level and amateur comedians in my life, and Brendan is better than most of them. If he concentrated on nothing but stand up for a few years, he would be a legit top level comedian IMO. The problem is that he got a comedy special, when he should have been on the road doing a brick wall tour at the regional level. I'm not sure if he could do that because he was sorta famous. He got put in a difficult situation, and sorta puled it off if we're being honest. The hate for him on her is silly.
I was doing comedy before covid and wanted to continue to do so, but the venues closed. I only did it a handful times, but im good on stage being an actor or ex actor.

I had thought about it for a while because people always laughed at my stories. After 2 trips to the local place, seeing how awful they were, but just as bold, i simply thought, if they can do it, i sure as fuck could.

But like you said, i had to earn the time on stage. I was only allowed 3 min, then 5 min, then so forth. Schaub just suddenly became popular. I didnt laugh or smile once during the stand up bits i could find, but he sure looked comfortable up there. Thats pretty much half the battle, but if i sucked, i wouldnt want folks saying i didnt.

Stand up is hard. I've performed as a musician probably close to a 100 times on stage over the years. I've done stand up about 15 times I think. No comparison in regards to how difficult it is to be good.
I've probably seen a few hundred low level and amateur comedians in my life, and Brendan is better than most of them. If he concentrated on nothing but stand up for a few years, he would be a legit top level comedian IMO. The problem is that he got a comedy special, when he should have been on the road doing a brick wall tour at the regional level. I'm not sure if he could do that because he was sorta famous. He got put in a difficult situation, and sorta puled it off if we're being honest. The hate for him on her is silly.

Lmao dude will never be funny. He's just cringe.

Last edited:
Lmfao his "comedy" special is currently rated below 2 stars on IMDB. You guys should read some of the comments....way funnier than Schlobs actual "special"

Schaub's comedy is terrible but this video rags on him for "lying" in his comedy - newsflash - all comedians lie in their comedy. They're telling jokes and they change reality to suit the joke.
T21820.gif

I was doing comedy before covid and wanted to continue to do so, but the venues closed. I only did it a handful times, but im good on stage being an actor or ex actor.

I had thought about it for a while because people always laughed at my stories. After 2 trips to the local place, seeing how awful they were, but just as bold, i simply thought, if they can do it, i sure as fuck could.

But like you said, i had to earn the time on stage. I was only allowed 3 min, then 5 min, then so forth. Schaub just suddenly became popular. I didnt laugh or smile once during the stand up bits i could find, but he sure looked comfortable up there. Thats pretty much half the battle, but if i sucked, i wouldnt want folks saying i didnt.

I got into doing comedy by basically doing a power 5 one night after a bass player from a band that was opening for my band broke a string. I went up on stage in a packed house and killed it because there were no expectations. It just sorta happened. I told a couple jokes and a funny story about a kid I went to HS with getting his ass beat by a retard. I want to say that was around 2002.

My next attempt at stand up was doing open mic at a brick wall comedy club several years later when I no longer was playing live music. It was WAY harder because it wasn't as organic. The crowd was small, and a decent percentage of the crowd was made up of other performers. It felt more like a talent show than anything because you knew you were being judged by other aspiring comics. I was visibly more comfortable on stage than most of the other performers from years of stage time, but it was a very different feeling than you get from playing a rock show, as you instantly become hyper-aware of the crowd solely focusing on you. You don't get to go down with your band-mates like when you bomb at a concert. You also aren't hiding behind an instrument or your ability to sing, which can get you instant praise as a musician because it's something most people can't do. Anyone can tell jokes and speak in front of a crowd if they have balls, which raises the bar a lot higher. A shitty band will impress the average person far more than a shitty comedian.

It took me about 3-4 attempts at open mic night before I felt my routine was good enough to actually perform in front of a real audience that wasn't going to laugh just to be polite. I remember everyone getting an overwhelming applause at open mics because more experienced performers went out of their way to welcome newbs by trying to make them feel more comfortable. They would also coach a bit while having drinks after open mics. That's another thing that was different about doing comedy. Most other comedians are nice. Anyone that's ever played music will tell you how many pricks and egomaniacs you will cross paths with while playing in bands, especially at large venues. Comedy isn't like that because everyone seems to have a sense of humor about themselves.

My first paying gig as a comic was doing a few 10 minute routines while also throwing out merch from sponsors in between bands at one of my friends CD release shows. It was almost like being a host at an awards show. It was a lot of fun, and got me several other paying gigs doing a similar routine with other bands. I even got to perform at the Vans warped tour before Bowling for soup one of the last times I did comedy. Overall, I did about 15 shows over a few years before I just sorta quite going out and performing because I was in my early 30's and more focused on my business than my hobbies, which is what stand up really is for 99% of us that have done it.

As far as Brendan goes, he's really not that terrible. He's just not good enough to have a comedy special. I think he gets a lot of hate on Sherdog because hard core fans love to hate on guys that invade MMA with pure athletic ability. Meatheads like Brendan Schaub or Matt Mitrione that came from TUF are even more disliked by MMA nerds. Watching some big dumb jock with mediocre skills that reminds you of the dudes that picked on you in gym class flatten a past prime MMA legend that's your hero would hurt. I totally get it. Sherdog has some of the highest concentrations of little dick energy and male insecurity that you will find on the web. Seeing a guy like Schaub smash a legend like Mirko inside the ring, and chicks like Ronda outside the ring is torture to some dork that thinks he knows dick about martial arts. I mean, that's really what it comes down to. Fucking nerds hating on an alpha that's good at almost everything.

Schaub is tool but guy making that video is far worse and guaranteed virgin

I got into doing comedy by basically doing a power 5 one night after a bass player from a band that was opening for my band broke a string. I went up on stage in a packed house and killed it because there were no expectations. It just sorta happened. I told a couple jokes and a funny story about a kid I went to HS with getting his ass beat by a retard. I want to say that was around 2002.

My next attempt at stand up was doing open mic at a brick wall comedy club several years later when I no longer was playing live music. It was WAY harder because it wasn't as organic. The crowd was small, and a decent percentage of the crowd was made up of other performers. It felt more like a talent show than anything because you knew you were being judged by other aspiring comics. I was visibly more comfortable on stage than most of the other performers from years of stage time, but it was a very different feeling than you get from playing a rock show, as you instantly become hyper-aware of the crowd solely focusing on you. You don't get to go down with your band-mates like when you bomb at a concert. You also aren't hiding behind an instrument or your ability to sing, which can get you instant praise as a musician because it's something most people can't do. Anyone can tell jokes and speak in front of a crowd if they have balls, which raises the bar a lot higher. A shitty band will impress the average person far more than a shitty comedian.

It took me about 3-4 attempts at open mic night before I felt my routine was good enough to actually perform in front of a real audience that wasn't going to laugh just to be polite. I remember everyone getting an overwhelming applause at open mics because more experienced performers went out of their way to welcome newbs by trying to make them feel more comfortable. They would also coach a bit while having drinks after open mics. That's another thing that was different about doing comedy. Most other comedians are nice. Anyone that's ever played music will tell you how many pricks and egomaniacs you will cross paths with while playing in bands, especially at large venues. Comedy isn't like that because everyone seems to have a sense of humor about themselves.

My first paying gig as a comic was doing a few 10 minute routines while also throwing out merch from sponsors in between bands at one of my friends CD release shows. It was almost like being a host at an awards show. It was a lot of fun, and got me several other paying gigs doing a similar routine with other bands. I even got to perform at the Vans warped tour before Bowling for soup one of the last times I did comedy. Overall, I did about 15 shows over a few years before I just sorta quite going out and performing because I was in my early 30's and more focused on my business than my hobbies, which is what stand up really is for 99% of us that have done it.

As far as Brendan goes, he's really not that terrible. He's just not good enough to have a comedy special. I think he gets a lot of hate on Sherdog because hard core fans love to hate on guys that invade MMA with pure athletic ability. Meatheads like Brendan Schaub or Matt Mitrione that came from TUF are even more disliked by MMA nerds. Watching some big dumb jock with mediocre skills that reminds you of the dudes that picked on you in gym class flatten a past prime MMA legend that's your hero would hurt. I totally get it. Sherdog has some of the highest concentrations of little dick energy and male insecurity that you will find on the web. Seeing a guy like Schaub smash a legend like Mirko inside the ring, and chicks like Ronda outside the ring is torture to some dork that thinks he knows dick about martial arts. I mean, that's really what it comes down to. Fucking nerds hating on an alpha that's good at almost everything.

Damn bro that's like anti-standup right there. Start out with a five minute setup that's kind of interesting and then the punch line is just switching gears and telling the audience they're all pieces of shit.

Back