Media Revisiting Poatan vs Jan

You need to learn how to see better.

Alex cracked Jan hard towards the end of Rounds two and three. Hard.

Both look like jabs, but were sneaky/inside hooks.

Jim was wobbled and on his way out towards the end of both rounds.

Saved by the bell in Round 2, landed a desperate lay and pray in Round 3, after which Alex punished Jan from his back.

Again, you need to learn to see better.

I didn't see anything land super clean. Nothing like the shots he landed on Jiri or Hill. Nothing devastating. To me it looked like Jan was very tired more so than being hurt from those shots and it makes sense because when Alex lands clean guys fall down but Jan didnt. He was just exhausted from trying to wrestle Alex and looked hurt because of that.

Round 3 was very close and there was no LnP. Jan got a takedown with 50 seconds left and finished on top. Most of the round was spent on the feet.

I didn't see anything land super clean. Nothing like the shots he landed on Jiri or Hill. Nothing devastating. To me it looked like Jan was very tired more so than being hurt from those shots and it makes sense because when Alex lands clean guys fall down but Jan didnt. He was just exhausted from trying to wrestle Alex and looked hurt because of that.

Round 3 was very close the only difference is Jan got a takedown and finished on top.
IN A WAY THEY ARE BOTH WINNERS

BUT THE REAL WINNER IS POATAN

EVERY PUNCH LANDED ON POATAN IS LIKE A GNATS BITE

EVERY PUNCH LANDED BY POATAN IS LIKE BEING STRUCK WITH MJOLNIR

POATAN FOLLOWS THE PHILOSOPHY OF REAL MEN LIKE MUSASHI WHO ADVISES OTHER REAL MEN TO ALLOW THEMSELVES TO BE ARRESTED ONLY TO USE THEIR OWN CUNNING AND GUILE TO ESCAPE

SUCH IS THE INSTANCE WHENEVER IT LOOKS AS IF POATAN IS IN A BAD POSITION ONLY TO ESCAPE

No disrespect to Poatan but it says a lot about the current situation at LHW/MW that the biggest grappling challenge hes faced so far is from a 40 year old who was like lower end top 10 in his prime.

I wouldn't say Jan was lower top 10 in his prime, Jan was top 5 and champ in his prime. Jan just peaked later in his career. Jan joined the UFC in late 2014 and struggled for 2.5 years before he went back to the team that he had back when he was KSW champ. Jan was at his best and prime from 2017 to 2022.

Jan has more submission wins than boogeyman Ank.

I wouldn't say Jan was lower top 10 in his prime, Jan was top 5 and champ in his prime. Jan just peaked later in his career. Jan joined the UFC in late 2014 and struggled for 2.5 years before he went back to the team that he had back when he was KSW champ. Jan was at his best and prime from 2017 to 2022.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Jan happened to "peak" at 40 years old after Jones, DC, Gus, Rumble, Glover, Machida and Shogun disappeared from the divison. Glover remained but was a fossil by that point and still smoked Jan but got absolutely rekt by Rumble and Gus when he was younger and better.

It would be wild to assume that Jan suddenly got so much better and peaked rather than the division completely fell apart. If those guys were still there he'd still be on the prelims.

Yeah, he sounds pretty young. His Jiu Jitsu story sounds sus af, lol

Bro is just larping.
Might as well play along then

There's nothing wrong with this and many BJJ practitioners take a similar path. Better like this than to be a "black belt" who doesn't deserve it. What's your rank in BJJ little man?
I'm a Tungsten belt with 2 Omega stripes under Gruumsharra the Terrible of Klaagon 6.

I haven't competed in a few millenia but I was a silver medalist at the Truank Quasar Invitationals

IN A WAY THEY ARE BOTH WINNERS

BUT THE REAL WINNER IS POATAN

EVERY PUNCH LANDED ON POATAN IS LIKE A GNATS BITE

EVERY PUNCH LANDED BY POATAN IS LIKE BEING STRUCK WITH MJOLNIR

POATAN FOLLOWS THE PHILOSOPHY OF REAL MEN LIKE MUSASHI WHO ADVISES OTHER REAL MEN TO ALLOW THEMSELVES TO BE ARRESTED ONLY TO USE THEIR OWN CUNNING AND GUILE TO ESCAPE

SUCH IS THE INSTANCE WHENEVER IT LOOKS AS IF POATAN IS IN A BAD POSITION ONLY TO ESCAPE
<mcgoat><mcgoat><mcgoat>

• Haha
Reactions: HHJ
I don't think any fan believes Poatan has anything on the ground outside of some very basic defense and offensive skills regardless of his belt status.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Jan happened to "peak" at 40 years old after Jones, DC, Gus, Rumble, Glover, Machida and Shogun disappeared from the divison. Glover remained but was a fossil by that point. It would be wild to assume that Jan suddenly got so much better and peaked rather than the division completely fell apart. If those guys were still there he'd still be on the prelims.

Jan actually hit his best from in 2017 and was 34 and was champ at 37. The prior era of LHW was certainly stronger, but that has nothing to do with anything. You can only compare Jan to the LHW division that he fought in. The fact that guys like Machida left in 2013 is not relevant to anything. The topic is Jan's best form and prime in the era that he fought in. The fact that he dominated guys like Andrerson and Manuwa in remtaches a few years later shows the improvement as a figher.

And if Shogun, Machida, Gus, Rumble fought in 2020 in their state, Jan would beat those guys. They were well beyond their best years. To say well if the versions from 2010 fougth in 2020 is just fantasy

Alex has fought MMA since 2015. It's likely he has been training grappling for at least 7+ years and has been training with some good grapplers for a long time now. Why do people act like it's impossible for this one specific fighter to develop grappling skills, versus literally any other striker in the UFC? Especially since he knows people will try to grapple him.

Jan actually hit his best from in 2017 and was 34 and was champ at 37. The prior era of LHW was certainly stronger, but that has nothing to do with anything. You can only compare Jan to the LHW division that he fought in. The fact that guys like Machida left in 2013 is not relevant to anything. The topic is Jan's best form and prime in the era that he fought in. The fact that he dominated guys like Andrerson and Manuwa in remtaches a few years later shows the improvement as a figher.

And if Shogun, Machida, Gus, Rumble fought in 2020 in their state, Jan would beat those guys. They were well beyond their best years. To say well if the versions from 2010 fougth in 2020 is just fantasy

if Jan improved so much I don't think he would have been smoked by 43 year old Glover like that.

The same Glover who got smoked by Gus and Rumble when he was younger and better.

Sure Jan could have improved a bit but I think he was a beneficiary of a collapsed division more so than being someone who improved so much.

But I hespect your opinion.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Jan happened to "peak" at 40 years old after Jones, DC, Gus, Rumble, Glover, Machida and Shogun disappeared from the divison. Glover remained but was a fossil by that point and still smoked Jan but got absolutely rekt by Rumble and Gus when he was younger and better.

It would be wild to assume that Jan suddenly got so much better and peaked rather than the division completely fell apart. If those guys were still there he'd still be on the prelims.
I think he did actually get a lot better tbh

His boxing got better, his kicking game got better, sits down on his punches more, hes bigger, higher fight IQ. Overall he just seems patient and more tactically minded in his older years.

And his age hasn't been the hindrance that it tends to be in most cases. So the experience has actually been a huge advantage in itself.

I don't think he beats Jones, DC, Rumble. But he could be a problem for anyone else in the division.

And theres a chance he beats rumble, if he somehow ends up on top.

Jan is kind of a weird fighter like that, he's unassuming and I feel like it's easy to underrate him. But he tends to pull out fights that it doesn't seem like he should on paper.

Eh, I get your point but to be fair it does happen. When Anderson was at the peak of his reign he was already past what I would consider his physical prime(which I would say was in his pride run). By the time he fought Chael the first time he was already 35-36, not saying that was the case for Jan but some guys get much better skill wise in the later half of their career.

Why? he hasnt done anything since then
Because it's the one fight Alex has had at 205 that didn't result in him KO'ing someone cold and was actually competitive? I'm also not saying he gets an immediate TS upon his return but if he were to beat Hill or Jiri he should certainly get one IMO.

Round 3 was very close and there was no LnP. Jan got a takedown with 50 seconds left and finished on top. Most of the round was spent on the feet.

Just because "you" didn't see, doesn't mean the hard, bone-jarring shots weren't there.

Goes back to what I said earlier, you don't comprehend what you're watching.

Jan was hurt several times in that fight, Alex never was.

Alex won on momentum/damage, while Jan was losing momentum, backing up, and could only stall as a way to avoid his comeuppance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
claypool97
Back