Review the movies you re-visited

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Psychedelic, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Psychedelic

Psychedelic Red Belt

Though not a big fan of multiple viewings, but I've recently been revisiting films I saw when I was a teenager and may not have appreciated to the fullest extent.

Fight Club - Oh wow, I don't know from where to start. Knowing the plot twist near the end did not take away anything from revisiting Fight Club, it made me see it in an entirely new light. I also remember scenes from first viewing which never existed in the movie. I always thought there was a fight scene between Brad Pitt and Edward Norton other than the "I want you to hit me" fight, and the one at the end of the movie. I "remember" that they fought in the actual fight club and that it was brutal. Although the fight club and the fights were only a plot device, but I was impressed at the realism of the fights. Some true Just Bleed shit right there. Was not surprised to read after viewing the film, that David Fincher made the cast watch hours of UFC in order to prepare for the roles. Verdict : 9/10. Would have been a 10/10 had the scene I always imagined being in the film was actually there.

Reservoir Dogs - A classic. I'm not gonna fanboy over it much, and I'll just give it a 10/10. The cornerstone of modern gangster flicks. Without it, a whole subgenre of films would not even exist (Lock stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch, Lucky Number Slevin, Revolver, etc., etc., etc.)

I'll be updating this thread semi-regularly. Sherbros are welcome to participate.

Inigo Montoya likes this.
  2. fightingrabbit

fightingrabbit Banned Banned

Recently posted Blade Runner in the Movie Rating thread. Upon second viewing it's become one of my favorite movies. There was a lot that I didn't take in upon the first viewing. It was more like an introduction to the world. Watching it a second time really allowed me to absorb the story, underlying themes, and the amazing visuals.

Also I agree with you on Fight Club having some of the most realistic fighting I've seen in the movie. I remember thinking that the first time I saw it. Everything from the way they swung the punches and that *slap* of bare knuckles making contact with the face.

"FUCK, you hit me in the ear!"

3. Flemmy Stardust

Flemmy Stardust King of Lea

Those are two examples where revisiting them ended up being a big mistake for me.

4. fbgn

fbgn sweeeet kosher transvestite Banned

are you gonna review the reviews of revisited remakes as well?

5. Flemmy Stardust

Flemmy Stardust King of Lea

Sunshine is probably my #1 'you have to see it a second time' movie. It's not because you won't get it the first time, it's because the left turn is too damn sharp. You're not able to accept it.

Second time it's a lot easier to appreciate the second half of the movie, and at this point, i think it was totally necessary.

6. Anung Un Rama

Anung Un Rama Idol of Millions Platinum Member

Whiplash is a much deeper movie the second time around.

7. Rum

Rum Champion of Champions

I loved Fight Club when it came out but re-watching a year or so ago, knowing the twist, I was actually kind of bored by it. Part of that is when I was a kid I thought Tyler Durden Brad Pitt was badass but as an old fucker he just seems like a twat. Ed Norton's performance held up fairly well though.

thegreenblender likes this.
  8. BisexualMMA

BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

I found Bladerunner got better when revisited, but I was also too young to appreciate it when I first watched it. It's one of the relatively few movies where you can still catch new things after having seen it several times.

There was this movie called Explorers with Ethan Hawke and River Phoenix that I liked when I was a kid, where these kids build a forcefield with their computer and go into space and meet some aliens. I rewatched it as an adult and it's a total piece of shit. Once they meet the aliens, it basically turns into an episode of Barney the Dinosaur, but it was all right up until then.

Movies like Independence Day and Armageddon seemed fantastic when they came out, but the tropes and visuals that these films were based on are so commonplace now that rewatching them is kind of depressing.

Jaws holds up incredibly well.

9. BisexualMMA

BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

It was a terrific movie. I've only seen it once, but I felt like I got everything it was saying.

10. Kick Strickland

Kick Strickland Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

American Beauty. I watched it when it first came out when I was about 20 yrs old. I remember thinking it was great, but I didn't ever rewatch it until last year, when I was 37.

The difference between watching it as a kid and watching it as an adult is huge. It's almost like 2 different movies.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Cptn1NSAN0 likes this.
  11. n...not crazy

n...not crazy Red Belt

Well, I realized that Young Guns is a terrible movie.
    I was young and dumb, and I forgive myself for liking it.

12. Jack Reacheround

Jack Reacheround Never Go Black

My wife and I went on an 80s movie kick one night. We watched Flight of the Navigator and then Explorers, which I had never seen. Explorers sucked horribly. I fell asleep.

13. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya ...............

The "you hit me in the ear" part was Pitt's real reaction btw. It was unintentional but the take was so good they kept it.

14. Psychedelic

Psychedelic Red Belt

From what I know, it was intentional. David Fincher pulled Ed Norton aside prior to shooting the scene, and told him to hit Brad Pitt on the ear really hard.

15. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya ...............

Never knew that part. So yea, just Pitt's reaction was real.

16. Psychedelic

Psychedelic Red Belt

Yep. Edward Norton was chuckling and trying to hide it, if you look carefully during that scene. He knows what he did :p

Inigo Montoya likes this.
  17. Dizzy

Dizzy \[T]/ Platinum Member

Mortal Kombat, those effects look even more hilarious on blu ray but the movie is still so much fun.

GearSolidMetal likes this.
  18. Kick Strickland

Kick Strickland Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Young Guns II >

19. GearSolidMetal

GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom. Platinum Member

Event Horizon

Just watched it yesterday for the first time in years and it really is one of the best SciFi/Horror flicks out there.

One of Paul Anderson's few good movies. Michael Kaymen's score is underrated. The suspense elements are surprisingly good. The gore is sparing, but effective when used.
    Sam Neil plays a fantastic villian, and this is one of the best performances.

The characters are paper-thin, but serviceable. If they stretched out the runtime to two hours, instead of 90 minutes, we could have had a modern classic.

Some have said alot of gore was cut out of the movie, and it would be better if it was left in. I disagree. The short glympses of 'hell' and the fate of the crew were horrific enough, and more would have turned the movie into 'Hellraiser in Space.'

The ending is lazy and ambiguious, which seemed thrown together to just give it an ending. If it had a decent conclusion, the word-of-mouth would have been more positive, and may would have led the movie to make more at the box office.

It cost $60 million to make, only made around $43 in theaters. No idea if the video and DVD sales eventually made it break even, but that's the reason we never got a sequel, or at least a spiritual successor.

Overall, a flawed movie, but one that is one of the most memorable scifi horror flicks I've seen. 8/10.

20. Psychedelic

Psychedelic Red Belt

Infernal Affairs 2 - I'm a bit embarrassed that my former self rated this film so highly. To me, it was a Godfather-tier crime drama. Upon rewatching it, I give it a 7.5/10. An excellent film and one of hong kong's best, but not the godtier film I thought it was. When it shines, it shines, and that is when the movie focuses on macro-politics ... and the movie tackles the macro-politics of mafia for about 10% of the film. The rest of it is droning on a silly subplot. The symphonic, larger than life soundtrack of the film must have given me the impression that it was more grandiose than it actually was.