REVIEW: DATSUSARA Bag In-Depth Review

jura123

White Belt
Reaction score
DATSUSARA MMA Bag In-Depth Review:

Official webpage: Datsusara MMA bags

My bag, which I used till now, was falling apart and I needed a new one so when I saw Datsusara bag i gave it some thought. I admit, $120 seemed really expensive (especially where I live) and review that Fozzy made (http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f67/review-datsusara-mma-bag-713237/) seemed a bit superficial and sugarcoated but I decided to bite the bullet and ordered it. First of all, Chris (Chris Odell, President of Datsusara MMA) was so kind to give me a $30 discount (in form of shipping by USPS which was $40 since I live in Europe). He was also so kind to split the bill in two (and include only one in the package) so I could evade customs tax. The bag got to me in 8 days (a record since I usally wait for about 3-4 weeks). The bag was in an airtight package and managed to bypass phytosanitary inspection (made of hemp). Chris answered all my boring questions and met all my requests (he even made a new dsmma.com webpage just for me :D ) in just a few hours so the custumer service gets A+.

OK, opening the package

There are also four rubber pads on the outside bottom of the bag which protect it from damage when you put (slide) the bag on the floor (bench). Maybe a rubber pad on the middle of the bottom would be nice since the bag tends to bend a little so the middle is the first to touch the surface but I don't think it's much of an issue.
69gck4.jpg

The bag came with a nice coated board which goes to the inside bottom of the bag and helps it to retain its form but it is flexible enough not to cut into your leg when carried.
ae2jp1.jpg

Main compartment is really big and fits all my gear

Each side pocket has a mesh on the outside which is divided into two compartments. Those are ideal for water bottle.
30lnf4n.jpg

Front pockets have velcro closure.
idhtn6.jpg

Two big pockets on the side of the front each fit two MMA gloves (they do but then you really have to put some time and effort into putting them in so I rather put one glove in one pocket, but if you have the nerve to push them in every time then you really can fit two pairs).
9rsr2r.jpg

11jujjn.jpg

Mouthguard pocket is just as big as it should be (it is NOT pushed in all the way in the picture).
90t4r7.jpg

Cellphone pocket is made for a really small phone (just like written) so my nokia 6131 (92 x 48 x 20 mm) fits in perfectly but SE T630 (102 x 43 x 17 mm) sticks out and the pocket cannot be closed (pushed all the way down in the picture).
ilm2yw.jpg

On the other hand, I found the wallet pocket to be way too small. It definitely cannot fit a normal sized wallet

Awesome review! Thank you very much.

Man, I can't wait to get my Datsusara bag now after reading this. I ordered it just over a week ago, so it should be getting to me very soon. I get the feeling either customs or the holiday + weekends delayed it a bit.

Jura123 thanks for the great review, very detailed.

As for the MMA Glove pockets try putting them in the pocket in a sort of yin/yang style with one facing up and one facing down, like that they should fit no problem as I sized them for standard MMA gloves.

The "wallet" pocket is a bit small although fits most standard wallets and really I made it more for just valuables like rings that you have to take off for practice since generally i leave my wallet in my pants folded up in the bag.

Crossdx, you should get that package soon, and you should be getting email tracking updates :)

Jura123 thanks for the great review, very detailed.

You are welcome! I owed it to you for a great service!

As for the MMA Glove pockets try putting them in the pocket in a sort of yin/yang style with one facing up and one facing down, like that they should fit no problem as I sized them for standard MMA gloves.

Heheheh, yeap, I tried it but then it is actually harder to put them in (at least for me).

The "wallet" pocket is a bit small although fits most standard wallets and really I made it more for just valuables like rings that you have to take off for practice since generally i leave my wallet in my pants folded up in the bag.

Well, I don't know what you mean by "standard" but my wallet easily goes to jeans back pocket and I think that would be a good "reference measure".:icon_chee But I also keep my wallet in my pants or in a side pocket so it's no biggy.

You are welcome! I owed it to you for a great service!

Heheheh, yeap, I tried it but then it is actually harder to put them in (at least for me).

Well, I don't know what you mean by "standard" but my wallet easily goes to jeans back pocket and I think that would be a good "reference measure".:icon_chee But I also keep my wallet in my pants or in a side pocket so it's no biggy.

I just checked with my new wallet and you are right, my old wallet no prob (4.5 x 3.2), oh well, so it's now going to be a valuables pocket and not a wallet pocket I guess :)

As for the gloves that is very odd, are those gloves you are using extra stuffed or something? I have tried Fairtex and ringside and they both fit no prob.

good review.

looks like they're were changes to the bag since I got mine hey?

~Foz

good review.

looks like they're were changes to the bag since I got mine hey?

~Foz

nope same bag, still 20 left of this batch, so things like the glove pockets should be the same.

Crossdx, you should get that package soon, and you should be getting email tracking updates :)

Yeah, I guess I'm being a little impatient. Sorry. ;) I did get an email with the tracking # from USPS, so I've been following up on it, but I think it stops updating once it enters the destination country. Will let you know as soon as it's in my hands. Thanks.

Yeah, I guess I'm being a little impatient. Sorry. ;) I did get an email with the tracking # from USPS, so I've been following up on it, but I think it stops updating once it enters the destination country. Will let you know as soon as it's in my hands. Thanks.

I can understand, I hate waiting for shit in the mail. This is the first package to your zone so it will be interesting to see how long it takes, keep me posted :)

nice review. When I get some more coin together (just spent $200 plus on shorts and gloves) I think I may pick one of these bags up. Really in depth review. You should get some kick back from all the orders I am sure you will play a part in.

Very nice review. Nice bag as well. May have to get one myself :p

ps-I want your Hayabusa gloves :$

Thank you all!

You should get some kick back from all the orders I am sure you will play a part in.

Yeah, I think Chris should make me a partner...at least :icon_twis:icon_chee

ps-I want your Hayabusa gloves :$

Come and get them! :mad::eek::icon_twis

Thank you all!

Yeah, I think Chris should make me a partner...at least :icon_twis:icon_chee

hehehe you and the other 30 people that want in hehe

but seriously thanks for such a nice in depth review! it's people like yourself that are helping assure that we can continue to make great products for the MMA community, and we really do appreciate it especially while we are just stating off, our customers rock!

There have been several reviews of this product. I have yet to read even one real complaint. It is a great product. I have been using mine for almost 6 months now and still looks brand new. Smells great too!

I can understand, I hate waiting for shit in the mail. This is the first package to your zone so it will be interesting to see how long it takes, keep me posted :)

I just got a postal notice and I picked it up today. I got a bit unlucky that it wound up at the EMS office and got picked at by the customs. Here's another annoying detail: the package actually arrived in the country on April 25th, but I only got the notice to pick it up late last night. Damn those post office vultures!

Good news is, I finally got my Datsusara bag! :D Even though it cost me a bit more, I'm glad I finally have it. Note to self: EMS = bad, bad bad. FedEx, USPS = good

I just got a postal notice and I picked it up today. I got a bit unlucky that it wound up at the EMS office and got picked at by the customs. Here's another annoying detail: the package actually arrived in the country on April 25th, but I only got the notice to pick it up late last night. Damn those post office vultures!

Good news is, I finally got my Datsusara bag! :D Even though it cost me a bit more, I'm glad I finally have it. Note to self: EMS = bad, bad bad. FedEx, USPS = good

Actually the USPS usues FedEx for their global Express mail which is what I arranged for you, you are the first person that had any trouble getting it, must have been customs being mean. Sorry for the trouble in any case, hope you enjoy the bag.

Back