reverse triangle choke

flyingknee16

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
when you guys do your reverse triangle chokes, are they more like neck cranks or are they more like actual chokes? i got one on my friend from sidemount the other day and from what i could tell, it was much more like a neck crank than it was a choke... what do you guys think?

I get them all the time but rarely use them as a submission in themselves since the contact and leverage on the neck usually isn't good to choke (though it can neck crank). You'll find it's real value when you use it to trap him so you can attack his arms with for americanas, kimuras, reverse armbars and wristlocks.

I submitted someone once with this when I was sidemounted.

My opponent was cradling my far leg (like a WWF wrestlers pin). It was an easy transition from there to the reverse triangle.

I love that move, one of my regulars, I find it hard to get it to choke, they usually tap from neck pain or from an additional armlock. A nice thing is to roll up into sitting position with him lying on his side and go for the Kimura. From there you can even drop over to your other side rolling him over on his stomach to get even more leverage for the Kimura. If you get hold of a foot, you can go for a toe hold too, it works great combined with the pressure from the triangle.

It works ok for a choke, but many will tap to the crank they are feeling before noticing the choke. I find it to be a lot of effort for the choke, particularly in no-gi (climbing down their gi is a good way to keep the pressure). Instead I usually go for a shoulder lock (lever their elbow back behind the plane of their head. Very high percentage from that position...don't think I've ever failed to get it.

Against tough guys who had some mat time its pretty useless as a submission but it destroys their game and gives you some time to regain guard if he was in side mount.
I was once in one and could footlock my opponent but he was very new.

I get to work quite a bit in judo when attacking the turtle. Don't use so much in bjj as there isn't really a time constraint. I occasionaly get when transitioning from side control to north south. As mentioned it's a good place to get bent arm locks and wrist locks. Also good for tying up arms and then moving into armbar/kimura combos.

Always a choke when i do it btw.

If you're having problems with talk to the judo guys, if there are any, in your class. It's a move that is really emphasised in judo.

Attacking the turtle with the reverse triangle is the first way it's taught in judo most of the time.

If you're getting a more "neck crank" then a choke, make sure that your thigh should be the only thing on his face and head. Do not get the leg positioning wrong and land with your calf accross their face. If you squeeze from here, it's a neck crank. If you squeeze from the correct way, it's a blood choke.

The reverse traingle was the first choke I was taught at my school, and I love it. I haven't used it too much in randori however, except as a set up.

I'm getting the idea that "reverse triangle" may be different for different people.

1) Inverted triangle: you're belly to belly
2) Legs reversed: locking the triangle on the neck side
3) Rear triangle: like the figure-four body lock, but over his head and arm, with ankle locking under knee under his armpit...both facing same direction
4) Rear inverted triangle: like the rear triangle, but in a North-South relative position

I mean all of those as a "reverse triangle" when I talk about it, with the exception of closing what should be a normal triangle with your legs the wrong way.

It depends from your position. If you put one on from scarf hold, side mount or mount the back of your leg plus you putting pressure downwards cranks/squeezes more than it chokes. I like it to tie up one of my opponents arms & head so you can work for a kimura on the other.

Back