Retiring on top is so rare...

Can't believe you never mentioned floyd, the poster boy for retiring on top

He never got his ass kicked and literally walked away the best in his sport

There are other examples

Andre ward
Joe calzaghe
Vitali klitschko

Personally I would rather a champ fight until he loses and pass the torch on to the next generation

Champs should go out on their shield

GSP retired in his prime afraid of getting another hiding

He was shook after hendricks

Lewis knew he was slipping so it was right for him to hang them up

Vitali would have hurt him in a rematch
lol @ passing the torch. This aint pro wrestling dude.

I don't like DC's move of challenging for a title in his last fight.

Like the guy so I'm not that bad but it sucks. Him and Miocic do a straight trilogy while N'Gannou sits on the sidelines for his rematch (I know there was the Derrick Lewis matchup but still)

lol @ passing the torch. This aint pro wrestling dude.

No it is fighting

Passing the torch was common in boxing

Legandary champ vs the up and comer

Face it, gsp (the so called goat) ran away at 32

Floyd (not even the GOAT) was schooling canelo (khabib level fighter much bigger than floyd) when he was 36 years old

Imagine gsp trying to fight Israel or Costa now? Lol

He would be killed Stone dead

Well,with bas,it was injuries,Mayweather i just keep thinking he will fight again at some point,but sure,hes played the GREAT GAME very well! I guess he counts like GSP counts tho.so yeah youre right
What do you mean by that?

People seem to forget Floyd was a killer before he broke his hands and started fighting at basically his natural weight against guys who were rarely ever finished.

Regardless though he still holds the record for Title fight wins, all compubox connect rate records by a fucking mile, has a record littered with future HOFers, holds the record for wins over former or future Champions and Lineal Champions and retired undefeated at 40 years old fighting at weights guys rarely make it out of their 20s in undefeated.

He wasn't playing a game, he was creating a legacy by making almost all the greatest fighters of his generation look average in the rink with him but he was still in plenty of fights over the years that showed he was every bit the "fighter" anyone else ever was showing his toughness, Championship heart and technical prowess allowing him to remain composed and find a way to adapt and overcome on the fly in any situation.

What do you mean by that?

People seem to forget Floyd was a killer before he broke his hands and started fighting at basically his natural weight against guys who were rarely ever finished.

Regardless though he still holds the record for Title fight wins, all compubox connect rate records by a fucking mile, has a record littered with future HOFers, holds the record for wins over former or future Champions and Lineal Champions and retired undefeated at 40 years old fighting at weights guys rarely make it out of their 20s in undefeated.

He wasn't playing a game, he was creating a legacy by making almost all the greatest fighters of his generation look average in the rink with him but he was still in plenty of fights over the years that showed he was every bit the "fighter" anyone else ever was showing his toughness, Championship heart and technical prowess allowing him to remain composed and find a way to adapt and overcome on the fly in any situation.
I think he fought some guys when it was more convenient to fight em,you dont go 50 and 0 by not doin some chess moves. But that's the beauty of it. He did it his own way. The great game is the game of life. I dont mean to disparage when I say that.

No it is fighting

Passing the torch was common in boxing

Legandary champ vs the up and comer

Face it, gsp (the so called goat) ran away at 32

Floyd (not even the GOAT) was schooling canelo (khabib level fighter much bigger than floyd) when he was 36 years old

Imagine gsp trying to fight Israel or Costa now? Lol

He would be killed Stone dead
Passing the torch is fuckin stupid. Leave when your done. Dont need any outside influence.

Its tricky. GSP did it admirambly, yet the Hendricks fight still looks over his record.
Another one is Bas Rutten. It was all fun and games in Pancrease, untill he felt REAL mma in the UFC and said "fuck that". He retired as champ, yes, but for all the wrong reasons.

DC will never be able to retire on top even if he beats Stipe, those 2 losses to Jones can never be forgotten.

DC can never, ever be called the GOAT either.

It’s a bitter pill for him, never can he call himself Ricky Bobby, because if you ain’t first you’re last

GSP retired in his prime afraid of getting another hiding

He was shook after hendricks

Lewis knew he was slipping so it was right for him to hang them up

Vitali would have hurt him in a rematch

Wait, so Lewis gets your respect because he "knew he was slipping so it was right for him to hang them up", but you mock GSP by saying "He was shook after hendricks" because he was worried he would get "another hiding"...? If you really think he go beat that badly in the first Hendricks fight wouldn't that be evidence that he was no longer in his prime (a similar situation to Lewis and Vitali) so wouldn't GSP be right to hang them up as well, just like Lewis...? Basically what I'm asking is are you a massive hypocrite?

Cejudo is only coming back for one fight which is against Volk for the title if there is a chance

Wait, so Lewis gets your respect because he "knew he was slipping so it was right for him to hang them up", but you mock GSP by saying "He was shook after hendricks" because he was worried he would get "another hiding"...? If you really think he go beat that badly in the first Hendricks fight wouldn't that be evidence that he was no longer in his prime (a similar situation to Lewis and Vitali) so wouldn't GSP be right to hang them up as well, just like Lewis...? Basically what I'm asking is are you a massive hypocrite?

Lewis was near 40

Gsp was not slipping, the competition was getting harder and he ran for the exit

Lewis didn't come back like a sneak thief and beat a weak champion in Wilder, when he could have

GSP is still waiting in the wings for a smaller fighter in khabib

I would respect gsp more if he actually stayed retired

So no, I am not a hypocrite

I think it's admirable to continue fighting, if past prime fighters didn't fight we wouldn't have the stars of today.

If Hughes retired after finishing GSP, GSP wouldn't be who he is today.

If Andy retired after Bonnar, the Chris wouldn't be the Chris.

Pay homage to the warriors who go out on their shields.
Ofc
Mainly those still around without The juice

Lennox got scared into retirement after getting his ass kicked by Vitali and escaping with a fluke victory due to a cut

I view both scenarios as the exact same thing

Lennox got scared into retirement after getting his ass kicked by Vitali and escaping with a fluke victory due to a cut
I dont understand your logic. He had a hard fight and realized his prime was over and retired.
But its always "he ran away"
So he is supposed to lose to make you happy???!?

Back