Restaurant adds 3.5% surcharge to bill to cover employee healthcare benefits

Yup they feel entitled to a third of the total price now you tip 25 percent and it is almost like not tipping. Tipping is annoying AF in the u.s

and then they get indignant and pissed at u rather than their shitty bosses for not paying them a fair wage. they'd get less if they got paid hourly yet they still get pissed expecting a lot more for sub par service. and the kicker is that even if you tip them 50% it's not like they'll remember or provide you superb service and perks next time you visit. it's not an equivalent exchange.

and then they get indignant and pissed at u rather than their shitty bosses for not paying them a fair wage. they'd get less if they got paid hourly yet they still get pissed expecting a lot more for sub par service. and the kicker is that even if you tip them 50% it's not like they'll remember or provide you superb service and perks next time you visit. it's not an equivalent exchange.

It sounds like you've been to some pretty bad restaurants. If you are a regular it's very unlikely that people will forget. My sister works in a restaurant where regulars routinely get either a free glass of wine or dessert. They even have a "good people" discount, that is, if they really like a guest even though the guest isn't a regular they give them something for free.

The whole getting shit for free is retarded to me. In an enormous push to get customer "loyalty" restaurants everywhere (mostly big chains) give away stuff for free. Most of the places that give stuff for free lack consistency in their product, which will always make a customer disloyal. Customers usually aren't stuck eating one cuisine, and restaurants usually are stuck making one cuisine, so anyways customers aren't going to be "loyal", they will go around to a number of different restaurants for different food.

Surcharges have been a recent occurrence across the U.S. as restaurant owners look for ways to provide added benefits to their employees. Largely, restaurants are not required by federal law to offer health insurance, although there can be some differences depending on the size of the business, according to the National Restaurant Association. Usually offering health benefits can help owners retain employees and combat high turnover.

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/surcharge-for-healthcare/?amp

Would you refuse to pay the bill?
100% would pay and not say a thing, that’s pretty whiney(Karen move) in my opinion. Would I go back is the real question, and if it’s good food and service then probably, I’m a sucker and rather just adapt to the times than make a scene or get bent out of shape when it’s not that big of a deal and not going to change anything.

Yup they feel entitled to a third of the total price now you tip 25 percent and it is almost like not tipping. Tipping is annoying AF in the u.s
Looking forward to going to Japan in March and not having to tip.

Looking forward to going to Japan in March and not having to tip.
Must be cool to go to a bar over there and not have to worry about that. They also do some crazy things cutting ice cubes for whiskey in japan.

well something wrong with the system then. How do nations like japan get by without tipping? Their prices are comparable.

Who sets the tip standard? Used to be 15 now its 18 recommended yet the servers get indignant over 20-25 and expect 30-35. And now this?! Boo urns

So far, it's been a failure for restaurants in the US that try to remove tipping. Menu prices typically increased over 20%. If there is such a demand for it and it can be done while remaining profitable, more would do it.

So far, it's been a failure for restaurants in the US that try to remove tipping. Menu prices typically increased over 20%. If there is such a demand for it and it can be done while remaining profitable, more would do it.
Quite a few restaurants starting going tip free in Seattle after servers started getting paid $15 an hour there.

The problem is, when it's arbitrary from place to place it just makes it more confusing.

I’m going to have no shame and
It isn't tipping I hate its the entitlement to a tip and tipping culture. tipping used to be a reward for good service now its automatically expected. If you tip 20 percent you are tip shamed or get half assed service. It is simp over tippers tipping baristas that make us have to tip everywhere now I went to waba grill and they wanted a tip,waba grill doesnt even serve you food or have waiters it is a fast food counter who the hell was I tipping? A corporation?. Cry me a river about the owners overhead every business has expenses it is his job to figure them out not the consumer to pay his bills.

Here in so cal, drink places ask for tip when minimum wage is the same as everyone.

I give $0 and they’re hurt. There’s people working harder jobs for same minimum wage that don’t get tips yet those guys don’t act entitled.

I try to find places that don’t ask for tip, even if it costs more.

The reason 20% is now considered a miserly tip now is because of electronic payments. When you realize why that is, you'll understand fucking retarded and entitled tipping is.

What's amazing is that most of the world has got it figured out how to run a service business without tipping but the US can't get it's head around it. The US --- a country that other countries look to for examples of market efficiency.

Quite a few restaurants starting going tip free in Seattle after servers started getting paid $15 an hour there.

The problem is, when it's arbitrary from place to place it just makes it more confusing.

How in the hell does someone live in Seattle on $15 an hour? Answer: they can't.

So they end up on food stamps and other forms of public assistance which everybody else has to pay for, while the business owners benefit from this taxpayer subsidized labor.

Noticing more and more places just got rid of the tipping section and added a flat 20% gratuity.

Japan has tip in a different form. They don't have it for single person sitdown ramen or fast food joints. There is might be a service fee for group sitting. They give you tea and mandatory tiny appetizer that is charged to your bill.

People complaining about tipping would complain even more about how much food would cost if it covered everything
i've argued with many of them.

They hate tipping and want it gone as they believe then the bill would be same and they would save money. They think 'greedy restaurant owners' would just pay it.

Nope, it would just go to a line item, as Service charge, or be added to food markup.

So the only difference is you are then forced to tip 100% with no discretion re good service versus poor service. It is such a dumb thing to complain about but most are so dumb they don't realize they are arguing and saying 'I want to pay a tip every time but have no discretion'.

OK. If you call that a win.

No, I would not refuse to pay the bill. In fact, let's do away with tipping culture while we're at it. Let the bill cover everything.
Agreed.

And I think restaurant owners are going to find they can’t push the entirety of the wage increase into customers. They are going to have to bear some of the incidence of the increase most likely.

I went to the airport last week and they added an 18% gratuity automatically "for your convenience" at the resturant I was at.

I was going to say something but the bartender was nice and would have tipped him anyway. The fact that it was added automatically made me want to get it taken off though. This shit is getting out of hand.
I sold something on Ebay today for the first time in prob 10 years. They kept 12.9% and hold your money until the item is delivered. What a rip off, I'm not using them anymore.

Administration fee
Handling fee
Travel fee
Materials surcharge
Consumables

That shit pisses me off, so I bundle everything into my quotes and never deviate unless scope of work changes. I wish all businesses operated like that. Tell me the cost, exactly, and I'll decide if I want to use your services or not. Keep your damned surprises for birthdays or other some such.

i've argued with many of them.

They hate tipping and want it gone as they believe then the bill would be same and they would save money. They think 'greedy restaurant owners' would just pay it.

Nope, it would just go to a line item, as Service charge, or be added to food markup.

So the only difference is you are then forced to tip 100% with no discretion re good service versus poor service. It is such a dumb thing to complain about but most are so dumb they don't realize they are arguing and saying 'I want to pay a tip every time but have no discretion'.

OK. If you call that a win.

I've had this same argument for years. I honestly think people just don't get it. The others that do say "I just don't want to have to think about it" which is strange.

Back