Restaurant adds 3.5% surcharge to bill to cover employee healthcare benefits

Sakuraba is #1

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Surcharges have been a recent occurrence across the U.S. as restaurant owners look for ways to provide added benefits to their employees. Largely, restaurants are not required by federal law to offer health insurance, although there can be some differences depending on the size of the business, according to the National Restaurant Association. Usually offering health benefits can help owners retain employees and combat high turnover.

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/surcharge-for-healthcare/?amp

Would you refuse to pay the bill?

I went to the airport last week and they added an 18% gratuity automatically "for your convenience" at the resturant I was at.

I was going to say something but the bartender was nice and would have tipped him anyway. The fact that it was added automatically made me want to get it taken off though. This shit is getting out of hand.

im-555833

Fuck your surcharges, fuck your tipping and fuck your government taxes. Just label your products appropriately so it's all included in the listed price of the food and people can decide if it's worth it to them to eat there or not.

Just about everywhere else you see one price. How fucking difficult is it USA...? get your shit together.

Last edited:
Fuck your surcharges, fuck your tipping and fuck your government taxes. Just label your food appropriately so it's all included in the listed price of the food and people can decide if it's worth it to them to eat there or not.

Just about everywhere else you see one price. How fucking difficult is it USA...? get your shit together.

Can't do it, we Americans love gouging and fees.

Eating out is getting pretty expensive why not just keep jacking up the price

Fuck your surcharges, fuck your tipping and fuck your government taxes. Just label your food appropriately so it's all included in the listed price of the food and people can decide if it's worth it to them to eat there or not.

They don't want to lose customers by raising menu prices, so they list it the same and just add separate charges for why the total is higher.

It's not like they're making you do the math, they're just breaking down the added expenses so the customer knows why the total is more than it was before. I actually prefer that to the prices suddenly going up and the customer is left to speculate why.

They have the cost of living surcharge or living wage or whatever the fuck its called at a lot of restaurants here. Usually I tip 20 percent on the bill. Places that add surcharges like that I just subtract the percentage from the tip. Usually it's three or four percent. So they get a 16 or 17 percent tip instead.

But I agree with what others are saying, do away with tipping culture all together.

Eating out is getting pretty expensive why not just keep jacking up the price
Yeah, it's one of the reasons I don't go out to eat all that often anymore. Not to mention a lot of places give you shitty portions for what you pay or the food isn't always good.

I stopped using food delivery services a long time ago as well because of all of the fees, taxes and tips. Not to mention companies like Uber, Door Dash, etc. screw the business out of like 10 or 15 percent of the order as well.

Surcharges have been a recent occurrence across the U.S. as restaurant owners look for ways to provide added benefits to their employees. Largely, restaurants are not required by federal law to offer health insurance, although there can be some differences depending on the size of the business, according to the National Restaurant Association. Usually offering health benefits can help owners retain employees and combat high turnover.

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/surcharge-for-healthcare/?amp

Would you refuse to pay the bill?
No, I would just take it out of the tip.

Why do you tip if you dont believe in tipping? Or do you mean it different.
I tip because unfortunately that's they way things work in our country. If restaurants just paid a living wage in the first place we wouldn't have this situation. Although I will say a lot of states on the West Coast pay normal minimum wage and then some to servers and some places have adopted a no tipping policy.

It would be the last time i payed the bill at that restaurant. First of all, businesses, especially grocery offer very shitty health insurance options. And these options are not even free ( it comes out of weekly paycheck) So most of these Servers, especially single mom types, will opt out and get state medicare. This is nothing but a money grab that will end up in Managments pockets.

It would be the last time i payed the bill at that restaurant. First of all, businesses, especially grocery offer very shitty health insurance options. And these options are not even free ( it comes out of weekly paycheck) So most of these Servers, especially single mom types, will opt out and get state medicare. This is nothing but a money grab that will end up in Managments pockets.
that's a good point

Back