• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

researcher attacked by far right after she uncovers Jingle Bells' racist past

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/jingle-bells-research-racist-backlash-1.4459442

I certainly can't believe the crazy assholes on the alt right would get worked up about something like this. Also, apparently they're trying to destroy Star Wars for reasons that are almost certainly not racist: http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/st...klash-alt-right-female-characters-1201910095/

This is definitely a stupid thing to get worked up about lol.

Also kind of stupid research topic. Education system is a mess if this somehow deserves a research paper.

Tom and Jerry also has a ton of instances of black face where they get sprayed by the water in the gutter and look at the camera with pretty blatant black face... plus Tom's owner for part of the run was super stereotypically Aunt Jamima essentially.
it was still funny as hell to watch as a kid and kids dont "see" those things

seriously.. i mean everyone knows walt disney hated jews and the dr seuss hated black people etc....a great many things have checkered pasts... either like them or change the channel ..i hate when sjw types feel the need to "ban" everything

why do you think they dont show tom and jerry or bugs bunny anymore.... i can hear them crying know "pepi lapu is a rapist" "tom and jerry condones violence"

I'm referring to the people who are upset that a researcher researched a song. You?

Thread title should be renamed "Moron criticized by logical people after she claims Jingle Bells has a racist past"

I'm referring to the people who are upset that a researcher researched a song. You?
just making a parallel that people need to calm down ..if you dont like something dont view or listen to it...thought that was obvious

just making a parallel that people need to calm down ..if you dont like something dont view or listen to it...thought that was obvious

That is obvious but not directly relevant to this story since the researcher wasn't saying that people should view or listen to the song. She presented the song's history and right wing media attacked her for doing so. I think the objectionable part of this story is how her research was completely misrepresented for clicks.

I've got bad news for you: if Sweet Home Alabama was a significant part of Klan culture, then it would deserve to be studied in a new light.

-when did this happen? For how long?
-when did the musicians learn about this and how did they feel about it?
-did the Klan influence the musicians? Did the musicians influence the Klan?
-what other songs crossed over to significance in the Klan? Why or why not?
-why did this song appeal to the Klan? Were they drawn to the intended meaning of the lyrics? Or did the Klan find their own meaning in the lyrics?
-what purpose did this song serve for the Klan?

This would all be fascinating and worthy of research.

I don't think it would be studied at Colleges by Professor's if the 'Klan' wrote Sweet Home Alabama.

You should see how many more times you can tap/type 'the klan' in your next post.

We're talking about Jingle Bells here.

What was the point? Was she trying to "enlighten" folks or something?

Do you seriously not see how someone could potentially take it as some level of race-baiting? Folks on the other side definitely take that liberty when they feel the need and make no qualms about labeling folks to suit their needs.
Digging up the past to stoke the racial fires.

So basically people got upset because a song from over 150 years has a checkered history. How sensitive must people be to over-react to learning history.
Especially when people misrepresent it as being racist.

Especially when people misrepresent it as being racist.

Exactly. It's awful when people take historical research and then claim that the researcher is calling something/someone racist when that's not what happened. The media outlets should be ashamed of themselves for doing it.

All in all. For the amount this researcher contributes, she really should be homeless.

Exactly. It's awful when people take historical research and then claim that the researcher is calling something/someone racist when that's not what happened. The media outlets should be ashamed of themselves for doing it.
I get what you're saying man but media outlets we can't expect to be straight shooters anymore.

As an example say I were an high profile person on Twitter (let's just say a social media personality) and I made a Tweet that says "I hope Quentin Rollins and Demarious Randall get hit by a bus"... they're Cornerbacks that play for the Packers... that suck BAD at their jobs.. who also happen to be black.

Media would take that and run with it calling me out rightfully for wishing harm on someone but I guarantee you cause of my last name (not going to post it but it's very Slavic sounding) I'd be called a racist and a KKK member or something... while they completely ignore that I am Japanese and that I am saying that as a fan of the team and frustrated with shit tier defensive back play.

ITT, triggered Alt-Reichers don't even understand the story for the 195,000,000th time.

Yet another example of Homer explaining away nonsense as if it's not a big deal. Did you give up your bid to convince everyone you aren't a liar in the other thread?

What was the point? Was she trying to "enlighten" folks or something?

Do you seriously not see how someone could potentially take it as some level of race-baiting? Folks on the other side definitely take that liberty when they feel the need and make no qualms about labeling folks to suit their needs.

How would all you guys have preferred she deliver this information to prevent alt right fucktards from stuffing sand in their vaginas and sending her death threats?

How would all you guys have preferred she deliver this information to prevent alt right fucktards from stuffing sand in their vaginas and sending her death threats?
How about don't.

Seriously who the fuck cares?

I get what you're saying man but media outlets we can't expect to be straight shooters anymore.

As an example say I were an high profile person on Twitter (let's just say a social media personality) and I made a Tweet that says "I hope Quentin Rollins and Demarious Randall get hit by a bus"... they're Cornerbacks that play for the Packers... that suck BAD at their jobs.. who also happen to be black.

Media would take that and run with it calling me out rightfully for wishing harm on someone but I guarantee you cause of my last name (not going to post it but it's very Slavic sounding) I'd be called a racist and a KKK member or something... while they completely ignore that I am Japanese and that I am saying that as a fan of the team and frustrated with shit tier defensive back play.

I don't think that would happen. Mostly because some variant of it happens almost every year and while the speaker usually gets dragged through the media mud, it's rarely characterized as "racist" and more about the tone deafness of the speaker.

Coming back to this story, your hypo isn't really relevant. This isn't some high profile person stating an opinion. It's actual research by someone who does research into the historical origins of a song. It's well sourced. It's scholarship, not opinion based on scholarship.

So when a media source takes scholarship and assigns an opinion to the researcher that is not in the work itself and does so without the standard media protocol of giving the researcher an opportunity to respond then we should all have a problem with that.

It's particularly troubling because the far right grouping is the group that constantly complains about how everything is being mislabelled as "racism". That allegation becomes less credible when they are mislabelling every statement as an accusation of racism".

It's circular psychosis. Johnny says that Luke is calling Tony racist even though Luke never says that. Then Johnny accuses Luke of misusing the term "racist". Johnny has lied about Luke so that he can then congratulate himself for standing up to him. :eek:

Like those nurses that harm their patients so that they can later claim credit for trying to save them.

Back