Repping the SOHP

Flow'n

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We all know you have to touch your chest when you bench, Squat to at least parallell, but what about the sohp?
I usually go until the bar is level with my chin. Later in the same workout I saw a guy go back down to his chest after ever rep doing 205 X9. I was quite humbled. Quarter squatters and half benchers drive me crazy (uni gym). I don't want be that guy either.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sebbhlKhs2E&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sebbhlKhs2E&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

SOHP you should rest the bar on your chest between each rep. The bar should be sitting in the same position it would be in if you had just finished a clean.

SOHP you should rest the bar on your chest between each rep. The bar should be sitting in the same position it would be in if you had just finished a clean.

I thought during a clean the bar ends on the shoulders above the clavicle?

I rest it in clean position between reps. This lets me adjust grip a tiny bit and make other adjustments I need to do.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sebbhlKhs2E&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sebbhlKhs2E&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

dude the guys in the back ground are beasts doing non stop Kb snatches and pull ups

hardcore crossfitters are out of their mind. my marine buddy swears by those workouts and he worries me.

that video is great. i always tend to bring to bar in front of my head as opposed to behind as it appears that guy does.

i do bring it to the same spot to start/finish as he does, right on the upper chest.

Why should it rest? I think that's stupid. That's like saying every single bench and squat should have a pause.

If/when I do them, I go to at least below the chin, usually lower though.

Why should it rest? I think that's stupid. That's like saying every single bench and squat should have a pause.

nrcho122.jpg

I personally touch it to my upper clavicles each rep.

I tend to allow a short pause to remove the momentum

Because the spot on your chest, is at the beginning of the lift. It is completely different than saying a bench or squat should have a pause. Unless you think a bench should have a pause at the top, and a squat should have a pause at the top. Which IMO they should. Too many people blaze through their reps and end up not completing them properly. 1-2 seconds is plenty enough time. Deadlifts are the same, IMO. Usually I switch my grip between each rep, just to make sure I'm actually doing a deadlft, if you have momentum from bouncing weight off the floor or your chest, as in SOHP, you may as well be doing push-presses.

Later in the same workout I saw a guy go back down to his chest after ever rep doing 205 X9. I was quite humbled.

Good lord that's a manly set. I would be humbled too.

I bring it down to my chest. My philosophy is the more ROM the better. I don't know if that's a good philosophy since I'm new. Maybe an experienced member can set me straight :D.

Good lord that's a manly set. I would be humbled too.

I bring it down to my chest. My philosophy is the more ROM the better. I don't know if that's a good philosophy since I'm new. Maybe an experienced member can set me straight :D.

That is a great philosophy. Please don't let any "experienced" member tell you different.

I recall reading a study that showed there was very little recruitment of shoulder muscles once the elbows lowered below the 90 degree angle in the elbows. Unfortunately, I've lost that report. I was curious if anyone else has heard of similar findings and might have some available research.

That is a great philosophy. Please don't let any "experienced" member tell you different.

That's true to a point. Rounding the bar path of a press or deadlift makes the ROM greater but less efficient, so I don't think it's better. That's just wasted movement really.

EDIT: I know you guys are saying not doing 1/4 squats and full ROM bench press and all that, I'm more than anything just saying.

ROM to the point of potential injury is a bad thing. Reducing ROM and increasing load is a tried and true strength training modality (rack pulls, board presses). Increasing ROM and decreasing load is also a tried and true strength training modality (platform/snatch grip deadlifts).

No really good generalities to make regarding ROM. It varies from lift to lift, and possibly from lifter to lifter too.

Back