• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Report: If not for Republican Policies, Federal Govt. Would Run a Surplus

How dare that brown person have what I have. O wait. You have no higher education haha

Why are you making this about race zebby? It shows that you have no understanding of how your political opposite thinks. Embarrassing really. Dont do that

A tax hike that doesn't take effect until a few years later? I suppose it wouldn't be technically impossible, but it would get rightly slammed by the press and opposition, and I can't imagine anyone going through with it. It would also almost certainly get repealed before it took effect.

Doesn't seem to make any less sense than instituting tax cuts for future years.

Oh well. Guess we'll have to wait until We The People vote in a Democratic majority. Even then it's doubtful tax revenues exceed expenditures.

Can universal health care work in a progressive liberal utopia with open borders?

<{1-1}>

This report was created by the MINORITY STAFF, not the entire staff and thus it is biased.

This is why they are not saying how much money is going to democrat related policies. Fuck I hate party whores on all sides. All of you are causing this mess.

Remove all social services, AKA Democrat policies and guess what? We have a surplus. But no, all of America have to deal with both Tweedledum and his retarded ass brother Tweedledee also know as Republicans and Democrats doing the same god damn thing, take our money and spend 13x that amount so we go in debt so idiot ass sheep keep voting only for them.

Sure as fuck one day soon people stop this shit and vote 3rd party so we can get rid of BOTH of your policies.

<WellThere>

Oh well. Guess we'll have to wait until We The People vote in a Democratic majority. Even then it's doubtful tax revenues exceed expenditures.

At this point, we'd be talking about a drastic tax increase to reverse everything, which, would be very unlikely. But going back decades now, there is a clear different in fiscal conservatism between the parties. We'd never see rising deficits with near full employment if Democrats had Congress and the WH.

Anyway, we don't want surpluses, and we don't need zero deficits every year. But we do need a course correction following the Trump cuts, as the current trajectory is not sustainable. McConnell wants to do it by cutting Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid. Democrats want to reverse the Trump cuts and pull the reins on the military. You can see why Republicans want to make the issue about whether Warren is a race traitor and why Democrats want to make it about issues.

More than that, even, he said that Reagan proved it.
To be fair, when are we supposed to pay off our massive debt and deficit? We've been growing our debt for decades, and the end is supposed to come any time now, but we still have a stronger economy than any single nation on the planet.

I still view Clinton's administration in a very high regard for slowing the debt growth. But now, I question to what end.

It was an interesting debate between Jefferson and Hamilton regarding debt, and the power of a nation that owes one. Obviously Hamilton's view of our economy won. And as we are in over 20 trillion dollars in debt, we still beat others on the grand scale, and we are more needed than ever.

I get his point, but I still at the core, believe we should fix our debt.......but the events haven't added up to that.

If you look at history it proves that Republicans drive up deficits and Democrats drive down deficits.
If you look at the report the OP is about you'll see the "Bush" tax cuts is the biggest offender and is consistent throughout the Obama presidency.

Democrats want to reverse the Trump cuts and pull the reins on the military.

But when the time comes there'll be some compelling reason not to. :(

Here's to Democrats, when they get the chance, going after income inequality as vigorously as they do our 2nd Amendment rights.

Including the middle eastern wars in there, I would have expected the difference to be much more

But when the time comes there'll be some compelling reason not to. :(

Here's to Democrats, when they get the chance, going after income inequality as vigorously as they do our 2nd Amendment rights.
Aye. Obama reined in on some things, but pushed hard on others. He was not a "fix the debt" president.

???

Republicans threatened to shutdown government unless they were extended.
And your beloved Obama should've called their bluff like he did later on. Keep making excuses though.

It did the last time a Democrat was in power during an economic boom.

And your beloved Obama should've called their bluff like he did later on. Keep making excuses though.

He did and people blamed him.

We see even today with a red SCOTUS, red President, red House and red Senate that the republican base is simply too stupid or too proud and still blames Democrats for the deficit.

The best red voters can do is #bothsides.

To be fair, when are we supposed to pay off our massive debt and deficit? We've been growing our debt for decades, and the end is supposed to come any time now, but we still have a stronger economy than any single nation on the planet.

We don't have to pay it off completely. And we haven't been growing it for decades if you scale it properly. It spiked during WWI, then came down until the Depression, then spiked again for WWII, then slowly dropped until Reagan. Then came down in the '90s, then rose following the Bush tax cuts, and then spiked for the GFC, and then it's been flat, but it's starting to rise again (should have been falling after we completed the recovery). Also, a more-important metric is interest payments to GDP. Here's that:

fredgraph.png

I still view Clinton's administration in a very high regard for slowing the debt growth. But now, I question to what end.

Reversed it. If you look at the graph above, you can see that it was a scary problem in 1990, and Bush 41 and Congress took major steps to fix it. Clinton took a further step (note that even back then, Republicans wanted to use falling deficits as a justification for more tax cuts for rich people), and then there was the relatively unimportant '97 deal.

As far the end, I mean look at the GFC. We would have been in a much, much better position to quickly recover if we weren't already running high deficits when it hit. Just because most people aren't aware of the damage that the Bush cuts did doesn't mean it didn't matter (though actually I believe Cheney was speaking about politics rather than economics, so from that view, maybe it's true that deficits don't matter).

I get his point, but I still at the core, believe we should fix our debt.......but the events haven't added up to that.

Well, that's the cycle, right? The debt we're running up now at a time when we should be reducing debt load will put a drag on future growth and give some incentive for a fix down the line. But the administration that signs off on the necessary legislation to fix it will likely not get any credit for it, and they might be blamed for the negative effects of it (temporarily slower growth caused by contractionary fiscal policy plus higher taxes). If we just didn't pass the retarded Trump tax cut, we'd be on a much better trajectory now, and there'd be no observable difference for the vast majority of the population. This is why bothsidesism is so stupid and destructive.

He did and people blamed him.

We see even today with a red SCOTUS, red President, red House and red Senate that the republican base is simply too stupid or too proud and still blames Democrats for the deficit.

The best red voters can do is #bothsides.
What does that have to do with the fact that your beloved Obama extended the tax cuts?

Back