International Report: China emissions exceed all developed nations combined

Peter_Panner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
China emits more greenhouse gas than the entire developed world combined, a new report has claimed.

The research by Rhodium Group says China emitted 27% of the world's greenhouse gases in 2019.

The US was the second-largest emitter at 11% while India was third with 6.6% of emissions, the think tank said.

Scientists warn that without an agreement between the US and China it will be hard to avert dangerous climate change.

China's emissions more than tripled over the previous three decades, the report from the US-based Rhodium Group added.

The Asian giant has the world's largest population, so its per person emissions are still far behind the US, but the research said those emissions have increased too, tripling over the course of two decades.

China has vowed to reach net-zero emissions by 2060 with a peak no later than 2030.

President Xi Jinping reiterated his pledge at a climate summit organised by US President Joe Biden last month.

"This major strategic decision is made based on our sense of responsibility to build a community with a shared future for mankind and our own need to secure sustainable development," President Xi said at the time.

However, China is heavily reliant on coal power.

The country is currently running 1,058 coal plants - more than half the world's capacity.

READ full article here: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-57018837

It's a BBC link so I know Sherdog will like it.

The Paris accord is pointless. It takes money away from countries that are doing their job correctly while China ignores everything and everyone. Good job To Biden for putting us back into it and using US tax money on pointless shit.

Pollution is a lib hoax. Just like Kung Flu and Climate Change

Is China ignoring the Paris Climate agreement? Serious question, what's in it?

They're only a 5000 thousand year old developing nation or some shit. Just buy some credits...

Kind of silly to get up in arms over total emissions when China has the largest population in the world.

(EDIT: Whoops, I didn't see that you acknowledged this)

Among major countries, US is still the p4p GOAT in terms of per-capita emissions, which is obviously what matters.

https://ourworldindata.org/per-capita-co2

The oil-producing countries obviously emit the most, but in terms of major countries per capital:

CO2 emissions by country/region name (only fossil fuels and cement manufacture, metric tons per capita per year for values up to 2014),[4] 2015 and 2018 figures are from Emissions Database for Global Atmospheric Research (EDGAR) and include all human activities leading to climate relevant emissions, except biomass/biofuel combustion (short-cycle carbon)[5]
1. Australia (16.8)
2. Canada (16.1)
3. US (16.1)
4. South Korea (13.6)
5. Russia (12.1)
6. Japan (9.4)
7. Norway (9.4)
8. Belgium (9.4)
9. Germany (9.1)
10. Finland (8.8)
11. Poland (8.8)
12. Austria (8.2)
13. China (8.0)

So the United States still produced twice as much as Chinese per capita DESPITE outsourcing so much of its manufacturing to China, which should really shift a large part of China emissions to the United States since it's the US that is largely incentivizing and consuming the fruits of those emissions.

The most shocking to me by far was how low India's emissions are (1.9)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions_per_capita

Kind of silly to get up in arms over total emissions when China has the largest population in the world.

Among major countries, US is still the p4p GOAT in terms of per-capita emissions, which is obviously what matters.

The oil-producing countries obviously emit the most, but in terms of major countries per capital:

CO2 emissions by country/region name (only fossil fuels and cement manufacture, metric tons per capita per year for values up to 2014),[4] 2015 and 2018 figures are from Emissions Database for Global Atmospheric Research (EDGAR) and include all human activities leading to climate relevant emissions, except biomass/biofuel combustion (short-cycle carbon)[5]
1. Australia (16.8)
2. Canada (16.1)
3. US (16.1)
4. South Korea (13.6)
5. Russia (12.1)
6. Japan (9.4)
7. Norway (9.4)
8. Belgium (9.4)
9. Germany (9.1)
10. Finland (8.8)
11. Poland (8.8)
12. Austria (8.2)
13. China (8.0)

So the United States still produced twice as much as Chinese per capita DESPITE outsourcing so much of its manufacturing to China, which should really shift a large part of China emissions to the United States since it's the US that is largely incentivizing and consuming the fruits of those emissions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions_per_capita
Per capita does not reflect the overall impact.

Which is worse: 10 people dumping 2 bucket of crap each into a lake, or 1000 people dumping 1 bucket each?

I bet Biden will come down hard on them for this since climate/ emissions are a crisis and all

1. Australia (16.8)
2. Canada (16.1)
3. US (16.1)
4. South Korea (13.6)
5. Russia (12.1)
6. Japan (9.4)
7. Norway (9.4)
8. Belgium (9.4)
9. Germany (9.1)
10. Finland (8.8)
11. Poland (8.8)
12. Austria (8.2)
13. China (8.0)

I don't think the climate cares about per capita. I'm sorry that China has way too many damn people, but they're still destroying the climate more quickly than any other country.

Hopefully China’s extremely quick developement will continue and they’ll be able to move away from Coal to other more advanced measures in the next ten years. The worst case situation would be if they stalled and continued along with 1950’s level systems.

Pollution is a lib hoax. Just like Kung Flu and Climate Change
I legitimately can't tell if this post is mocking right wingers or an actual post from one lol.

I bet Biden will come down hard on them for this since climate/ emissions are a crisis and all
I find it kind of odd that you guys think Biden is going to be soft on China. I think at the very least you would agree AP is a good source, this is a good article on the subject.
https://apnews.com/article/joe-bide...rus-pandemic-060ee406fe2e488e524552c43083ddad
But the anti-China rhetoric hasn’t eased. Top Biden administration officials have vowed to use American power to contain what many Democrats and Republicans see as growing Chinese threats to U.S. interests and values in the Asia-Pacific and beyond.

They have all repeatedly referred to China as a strategic rival or foe, not a partner or potential friend, and have also evinced their belief that America must “outcompete” China.

“Outcompeting China will be key to our national security in the decades ahead,” Burns said at his confirmation hearing. “China is a formidable authoritarian adversary, methodically strengthening its capabilities to steal intellectual property, repress its own people, bully its neighbors, expand its global reach, and build influence in American society.”

“It is hard for me to see a more significant threat or challenge for the United States as far out as I can see into the 21st century than that one. It is the biggest geopolitical test that we face,” he said.

At least some Asia hands in the United States see Biden as moving slowly toward potential reengagement with China in part because he wants to shore up his domestic position and make clear the U.S. is not a victim of Chinese predation.

“They are restraining themselves from the normal syndrome of a new administration running into problem-solving with China,” said Danny Russel, who was assistant secretary of state for Asia during the Obama administration and is now vice president of the Asia Society Policy Institute.

Russel said Biden is “sending out messages that have the effect of showing he’s not soft on China, that he’s not a patsy for China, that he isn’t so desperate for a breakthrough on climate change that he’s going to trade away our national security interests.”

Chinese academics see little difference in Biden’s approach.

“Continuity takes precedent over adjustment and change,” said Zhu Feng, professor of international relations at elite Nanjing University.

Biden will have to deal with a China that is far more powerful and influential than under past U.S. administrations, said Yu Wanli, a professor of international relations at Beijing Language and Culture University.
Very interesting article I think you would enjoy reading and might ease your mind a bit concerning Biden and Beijing.

I recommend this article concerning the future of China and Environmentalism, I found it interesting.
This new five-year plan will be a critical step forward on that road, and will give analysts a good indication as to how realistic those aims are.

As well as outlining the steps for the next half decade, China is also looking longer term, sharing a series of objectives to 2035.

"What you see is China trying to identify the technologies of the future," said Isobel Hilton, founder and senior advisor to China Dialogue.

"These are low-carbon technologies, they are trying to move the economy up market, and to lay the foundations for China to become the supplier of low-carbon goods and technologies for a carbon constrained world."
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-56271465

I think in this "HA HA WHAT ABOUT" political culture we've adopted we fail to actually discuss.. well.. anything.

China just finished what is one of the most astonishing industrializations of a country in history. Excluding a ton of fucking reasons to dislike China, it is important to frame the fact that they just experienced their Industrial Revolution, the US defined the global market and if one wants to compete they have to play that game. Leftists told y'all since '96 and the WTO riots of '99 when it comes to exporting American labor, but hot damn free market capitalists loved the cheap goods until the factories closed down, they defended the Wal Marts until they lost out to Amazon and now they're anti Free Trade? I mean welcome to the club, but hot damn where was y'all back then?

China is still heavily reliant on coal which is a huge issue, b ut they're actually working with the EDF (Environmental Defense Fund) to transition to green energy. It will be about ten years to know but..

Also this article from the Center for Strategic and International Studies is incredible to understand the difference between the US and China on this topic.
The Chinese government places a priority on investing in renewable energy primarily because it enables the country to tackle problems of air and water pollution, and mitigate risks of socio-economic instability. Reducing air pollution is a direct reason why Chinese government promotes renewable energy. The 2005 National People’s Congress’ (NPC) Environmental Committee observed that fossil fuel energy production and consumption is the cause of 90 percent of the country’s sulfur dioxide emissions.13 In 2013 Tsinghua University and the Asian Development Bank reported that 7 out of the 10 most polluted cities in the world are in China.14 Studies also point to climate change being a contributor to China’s aggravating smog crises.15

The economic and health consequences of air pollution are also well researched. RAND Corporation estimated that air pollution in 2012 cost China $535 billion, or 6.5 percent of its gross domestic product, due to losses in labor productivity.16 A UC Berkeley study concluded that air pollution led to an estimated 1.6 million deaths a year, roughly 17 percent of all deaths in the country.17 A University of Chicago report found that suspended particulates is causing half a billion residents in northern China to lose an average of 5 years of life expectancy.18

But most importantly THIS.
The Chinese government places a priority on investing in renewable energy primarily because it enables the country to tackle problems of air and water pollution, and mitigate risks of socioeconomic instability.

It is hardly a surprise, therefore, to see air pollution ranked as a top concern for people in the country. A 2015 Pew poll found that air pollution is considered the second largest problem for residents in China, second only to the issue of government corruption.19 However, respondents are much more pessimistic about the prospects for air quality improvement: 34 percent of respondents believe that air pollution will worsen in the next five years, while only 18 percent of respondents believed that corruption would worsen.

Dissatisfaction engenders unrest. Chen Jiping, a former leading member of the Communist Party’s Committee of Political and Legislative Affairs, said in 2013 that environmental issues are a major reason for mass protests.20 As maintaining domestic stability is the Communist Party’s top priority,21 Premier Li Keqiang highlighted the need to combat air pollution by developing cleaner sources of energy in multiple State Council and NPC work reports over the years.22,23

Thus defines the difference between the US and China. Coal was a necessity to the rapid industrial growth of China, in the US, our presidents promise of "beautiful, clean coal" when we all know that coal is a thing of the past. Hell we mock that Pooh bear looking motherfucker for banning South Park and Pooh (two things I fucking love) but the only thing that stopped the last president from doing the same thing.
On Twitter Tuesday night, Trump took aim at Section 230 of the 1996 Communications Decency Act, which protects companies that can host trillions of messages from being sued into oblivion by anyone who feels wronged by something someone else has posted — whether their complaint is legitimate or not.

Trump called Section 230 “a serious threat to our National Security & Election Integrity,” adding, “Therefore, if the very dangerous & unfair Section 230 is not completely terminated as part of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), I will be forced to unequivocally VETO the Bill.”
“Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives voices. We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen,” Trump said in a pair of additional posts on Twitter on Wednesday.
The president, a heavy user of Twitter with more than 80 million followers, added: “Clean up your act, NOW!!!!”

Threatened to close down and regulate Twitter because people were mean... doesn't that sound familiar?

1. Australia (16.8)
2. Canada (16.1)
3. US (16.1)
4. South Korea (13.6)
5. Russia (12.1)
6. Japan (9.4)
7. Norway (9.4)
8. Belgium (9.4)
9. Germany (9.1)
10. Finland (8.8)
11. Poland (8.8)
12. Austria (8.2)
13. China (8.0)

Anyone believing these numbers is beyond naive. Not to mention Mother Nature doesn’t gives a rats ass about per capita anyways. Impressive shilling and deflection none the less.

I don't think the climate cares about per capita. I'm sorry that China has way too many damn people, but they're still destroying the climate more quickly than any other country.

Under your silly view, if China weren't nationally unified and its administrative regions were independent, its emissions would not only not be a problem: they'd be commendable and of no concern.

The climate doesn't care about nominal political designations. If all of Sub-Saharan Africa becomes a single unified country, its emissions don't suddenly become an issue just because idiots can't do math.

This is all just Russian disinformation.

tenor.gif

Under your silly view, if China weren't nationally unified and its administrative regions were independent, its emissions would not only not be a problem: they'd be commendable and of no concern.

The climate doesn't care about nominal political designations. If all of Sub-Saharan Africa becomes a single unified country, its emissions don't suddenly become an issue just because idiots can't do math.

LOL

Of course Chinese emissions are a massive problem but what is the point here? Ultimately the West developed first, often through exploiting the developing world, and set the development model that the rest of the world then follows. If the West and the US in particular doesn't care about emissions despite being wealthy and in a position to change why should dirt poor countries trying to lift swathes of their population out of poverty care? Emissions for me but not for thee doesn't sound very fair and no developing country is going to accept that.

America's global leadership position shouldn't just be about being the strongest and hitting weaker countries over the head when they step out of line, it should be about setting an example. And on the issue of climate change and environmental stewardship America has set a pretty G-d awful example. The EU has like twice as many people as the US yet the US accounts for 11% of emissions when compared to the EU's 6.4%.

Back