Replacing squats with lunges?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by AlanGregson, Jan 12, 2020.

1. AlanGregson Purple Belt

I still do squats here or there as a part of my strength training but for the most part im doing weighted lunges and plyometric jump lunges for my explosive work, its much closer to what a fighting stance would be with one leg forward and one behind, i def feel like this has improved my in and out movment and general explosive power from my legs more than squating did... Also getting into a boxing stance and dropping down and exploding back up is a great addition. Discuss.
    This is for MMA btw, no idea if this would help for boxers.

2. deadshot138 Silver Belt

Using your logic, Jefferson squats and deadlifts would be the ultimate cross training lift. I'm guessing your squat depth or form was off and the lunges are hitting your leg muscles the way squatting should have. Or you had a unilateral weakness that was being compensated for by the stronger leg. I would guess the plyometric work is why you're more explosive, not because of lunges.

3. JimRussel Brown Belt

Lunges are good, but they can’t replace squats.

4. Agora9 White Belt

I find Bulgarian Split Squats to give better results than the equivalent in lunges, but ymmv obviously.

5. monkeyrhythm Blue Belt

/THREAD

6. vladimirvlad MMA is my life

I recommend Jefferson squats, Bulgarian split squats and lunges (looking at your logic).

7. Slatersan Brown Belt

You do not need heavy back squats for sports. That’s bro science mentality. As long as you have a squat type movement in there you will be good. Lunges are a squat type movement.

check this out:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  8. TeTe Kaep's white privileged upbringing belt Staff Member Senior Moderator

I've replaced a lot of my squatting with lunges. No really because I want to but because of lower back issues.

9. TerryMCLOOPS Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Alright Alan, not bad this time.

I think lunges are great.

10. Normot Brown Belt

Squats make my legs stronger and my hips hurt. Lunges make my legs stronger and my hips feel better. Don't let internet stranger tell you what to do.

11. TerryMCLOOPS Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Both are gonna work your legs, I like the dynamic nature of lunges and the way they open your legs up. I dont think squats are so important as a lot of meat boys say. Its the same fucking movement. To me its like pullups and chin ups. Either one is going to work if you attack it like you need to.

12. JimRussel Brown Belt

Except no.

13. Torrid Cunning Linguist

raised split squat > lunges

14. jgarner Silver Belt

I started adding unilateral work to my program and Bulgarian split squats were my first choice. They are brutal and a lot better than lunges in my opinion.

15. deadshot138 Silver Belt

Lunges aren't without their merit. Today I did a finisher strip set with chains. Did 5 each leg, took a chain off, repeat until I'd taken off 4 33lbs chains off and did the last reps at bodyweight. Legs are torched.