Rep/Set range clarify and share...

E

E C Monee

So I was reading a few post and came across a link to testi nation, I believe it was posted by Urban, can't remember. Ok so after going to that site and reading up on the set/rep ranges, like most of you looking for str, I went with the 24-36 range with 80-90%. Unfortunately I missunderstood and was doing this set/rep range for each exercise and I normally do 3 compound exercises.

So for example on my push day I would do something like this:

Bench Press incline or flat 4 sets x 3-8 reps
Dumbell Press incline or flat 4 sets x 3-8 reps
Hammer strenght chest machine 4 sets x 3-8 reps

After rereading the site today I noticed I fucked up and it should be 24-36 total so now im wonder what kind of routines you guys follow because the way I see it, it looks like my routine would go something like this:

Bench Press incline or flat 3 sets x 3 reps
Dumbell Press incline or flat 3 sets x 3 reps
Hammer strenght chest machine 3 sets x 3 reps

27 reps total

Is this correct? anyone want to share your workouts to inclue exercise and set/rep?

Also seeing that we are too target 80-90% how do you guys get a accurate reading of your 1rm with each and every different exercise you do as they should differ, atleast they do for me.

Thanks,
-E

I normally do 4 sets x 2-4 reps on my big three @ 80-90%.

Monday
Squat
Deadlift
[Auxilaries]

Wednesday
Bench
[Auxilaries]

Just one lift a week for me and I'm making good gains. Im looking in my journal and smirking at my DL numbers last month...good stuff. Keep in mind though, that I do not have too much time to hang out in the weight room, so this routine is more or less getting the basics done in the shortest amount of time possible. Hope this helps. :D

Also do most of you do squats and deadlifts on same day or do you guys put deadlifts with your back routine?

I usto always do them with back routine but I think I might switch it and do them with squats and what not.

I normally do them with squats, but every now and then (like this week) I'll mix it up and do Bench and squat on the same day. Deadlift and some sledge hammer work really gets the blood flowing.

i think the rep ranges are specific to each movement in your workout. as in 10-20 total reps when between 80 and 85% of your max for squats, as an example. then your other movements in that workout would be of a lesser intensity and higher reps.

I follow prilepin's chart for the most part, and go by feel for the rest.

Be careful though, sets with an even number of reps have been known to cause to cancer....

nudge119 said:
Be careful though, sets with an even number of reps have been known to cause to cancer....

Not worried, I only do odd number sets

So I'm still wondering when and how often do you guys check your 1rm. Also do you do it for each and every compound exercise you do, if so do you try and knock them out on the same day?

i use 10X3 and 7X4 mostly....these rep parameters allow you to use maximal weight ( 80-90% of 1RM ), and get enough reps and volume to cause strength increase and hypertrophy.

these are waterburys parameters, which i think is what you read. however, you did not misinterperet. you are supposed to be doing 24-36 heavy reps for EACH body part. also, waterbury suggests doing the same exercise for every rep on a body part (meaning only one exercise per body part, 24-36 reps of that exercise) gets faster results than splitting up into a few exercises and combining them for a total of 24-36 reps, as you did with your chest split. i guess you can do it like that if you want to though

E C Monee said:
So I'm still wondering when and how often do you guys check your 1rm. Also do you do it for each and every compound exercise you do, if so do you try and knock them out on the same day?

i dont have a spotter, so i just go up in weight whenever i feel like i can, trying to make gains every time i lift, either adding one more rep with the same weight i used last time or using just 5 more pounds. i think ill be pleasantly surprised with my 1RM's next time im able to check them

wenispinkle said:
i use 10X3 and 7X4 mostly....these rep parameters allow you to use maximal weight ( 80-90% of 1RM ), and get enough reps and volume to cause strength increase and hypertrophy.

these are waterburys parameters, which i think is what you read. however, you did not misinterperet. you are supposed to be doing 24-36 heavy reps for EACH body part. also, waterbury suggests doing the same exercise for every rep on a body part (meaning only one exercise per body part, 24-36 reps of that exercise) gets faster results than splitting up into a few exercises and combining them for a total of 24-36 reps, as you did with your chest split. i guess you can do it like that if you want to though

I definately cannot do just 1 exercise I need some variation. I will say one thing about this type of lifting though, keep in mind my first day of doing the right rep range instead of 3 times the rep range was wed, I noticed the day after that my soreness was extremely different and as far as I know it was different then any soreness I have ever had before. Now it could just be my imagination but to me it seems that the soreness is deeper inside the muscle and less intense then normal yet the muscle feel stiffer. It's kind of hard to explain but I'm definately eager to see if this is the kind of soreness I will be getting from now on which would actually be great. Does anyone else notice a difference in their soreness with different styles of lifting?

Back