Media Remember Rampage vs. Evans??,

GoshiShun17

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Is there any matchup today or in the near future that doesn't involve Conor McGregor, that could create that kind of buzz and heat? I don't know the numbers it did but I'm from the hood and I remember everybody and their uncle wanted to see that fight. Most people who I can't get to watch MMA for shit. They all wanted to come to my house when I ordered that crap of a fight lol.

I guess Masvidal vs. Diaz was up there but not really IMO. I'm not one of those "UFC is dying" guys but shit just don't seem the same.

Here is Rampage micd up during the fight

Pride OWGP.

I remember everyone saying Evans was a “dangerous finisher“ and “must see TV” and then this fight happened.

Is there any matchup today or in the near future that doesn't involve Conor McGregor, that could create that kind of buzz and heat? I don't know the numbers it did but I'm from the hood and I remember everybody and their uncle wanted to see that fight. Most people who I can't get to watch MMA for shit. They all wanted to come to my house when I ordered that crap of a fight lol.

I guess Masvidal vs. Diaz was up there but not really IMO. I'm not one of those "UFC is dying" guys but shit just don't seem the same.

Here is Rampage micd up during the fight

Love those guys, but in what universe was this fight bigger than Nate vs. Jorge?

To the general public? No
PPV buy? No
Live gate? No
prelim viewership? No

Struggling with this

I remember everyone saying Evans was a “dangerous finisher“ and “must see TV” and then this fight happened.

It's weird because even if you include the 'Shad face incident with Lyoto, that run with the Chuck and Forrest KO's, then Rashad getting Ko'd was pretty good entertainment wise, so following that the hype was justified in my opinion.

The Lyoto KO fucked him up though, and his drop off after that was crazy.

Back when the ultimate fighter was must see TV

It did over a million.

Pretty boring fight, but excellent job done of hyping it by the fighters. Could probably have done even more if it had taken place just after TUF rather than after a significant gap.

Love those guys, but in what universe was this fight bigger than Nate vs. Jorge?

PPV buy? No
Live gate? No
prelim viewership? No

Struggling with this
UFC 244 was a much better card top to bottom. Like I said, I don't know the numbers.

Maybe it was because I was younger and the crowd I hung around at the time but it seemed people who did not watch MMA were really excited for that fight.

PPV buy? No
Live gate? No
prelim viewership? No

Struggling with this

To the general public? Yes
PPV buy? 1.05 million and no sharing the revenue with ESPN
Live gate? the one area Nate and Jorge might have done better because was in MSG. I bet tickets are more expensive too due to inflation.
Prelim viewership? who cares.

It's weird because even if you include the 'Shad face incident with Lyoto, that run with the Chuck and Forrest KO's, then Rashad getting Ko'd was pretty good entertainment wise, so following that the hype was justified in my opinion.

The Lyoto KO fucked him up though, and his drop off after that was crazy.

It def did.

He still had some great wins after that, finishing Chael easily and dominating a young lion in Phil Davis over 5 rounds.

Dana fucked up the sport by investing in small people and women. HW and LHW were forsaken. Jon Jones was a stroke of luck and he ended up flushing his legacy down the toilet.

hell yeah it depends on what you mean tho. Here a few fights that are gonna get big buzz from either die hards or casual fans one way or another. Im not sure the premise of the question so ill provide a few.

DC vs Stipe 3
Costa vs Izzy
Khabib vs Tony
Jones vs Francis
Gathge vs Khabib
Colby vs Jorge
Yoel vs Izzy

im sure there are a few others but these fights will either get die hards blood flowing or casuals to tune in.

I'm surprised to read all these comments calling that a boring fight. While it wouldn't be on my short list of great fights, I remember it having a fair amount of action. At one point I thought Evans was finished but he came back to win.

Rashad-Evans-wants-to-be-a-Millionaire1.jpg

And so this was born

To the general public? Yes
PPV buy? 1.05 million and no sharing the revenue with ESPN
Live gate? the one area Nate and Jorge might have done better because was in MSG. I bet tickets are more expensive too due to inflation.
Prelim viewership? who cares.
Cormier vs Lewis which happened at MSG did $2.8 million in gate and did one 2.5x more so yeah Nate and Masvidal were special not just the arena.

Dana fucked up the sport by investing in small people and women. HW and LHW were forsaken.

So he's working with a tight budget and decided to allocate fewer of his scarce funds to the divisions you mention? Can you give me some sense of how much his investment in those divisions went down after women began to fight in the UFC? Also, even if he did cut back on his L/HW budget, why would that fuck up the sport rather than just those divisions or, at worst, his organisation?
Further, the fight under discussion predates women fighting in the UFC by a couple of years so, whatever you think it's shortcomings were, I don't see how WMMA could be to blame.

Yeah that shit literally had everyone going . That’s still top 5 most anticipated ufc fight

The hype behind that fight was huge. The actual fight absolutely sucked.

Back