Religous tome "The Great Controversy" blankets cities across the US

G

Guestx

So I opened up my mailbox yesterday only to find a book--a whole book, not a fucking pamphlet or an excerpt--sitting there waiting for me. It was called The Great Controversy. I had never heard of it, but the description on the back let me know it was a religious text that had something to do with biblical prophecy and the end times.

I told a friend of mine about it, and he was like, "Oh shit, I've talked to some other people who also got that book. It seems they went out all over the city."

So then I got curious and did a bit of research. Apparently the same thing has happened in other cities across the US, including New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Washington DC and Charlotte, NC. The total cost of these mailings usually adds up to around a million dollars per city, the brunt of which is funded by donations.

So what is this book anyway? According to one article:

The book’s original version was written in 1858 (pre-Civil War) by Ellen G. White, a Christian religious figure who co-founded the Protestant denomination of “The Seventh Day Adventist Church.” The book is a history lesson in Christian reform and a look at the books of Daniel and Revelation, including the “great controversy” between Jesus and Satan and the imminent end of the world.

“With our world in such disarray, with so little time left, we don’t have time to bash religions or people or ideas,” read a small card that came along with the book in the mail. “We only have time to discover the truth before it’s too late.”

Anyone else here gotten this book in the mail? I may actually read it. I dunno yet. The whole operation is intriguing regardless. I have to give these people credit for taking action and living according to what they believe. I always find that inspiring, regardless of where I find it.

51K8-mzlPmL._SY344_BO1204203200_.jpg

great-controversy-card.jpg

Further reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Controversy_(book)
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2015/08/mass_mailing_of_religious_text_to_philly_zip_codes.html
http://billypenn.com/2015/08/25/tha...reat-controversy-to-philly-and-why-its-legal/

Neat. If you do read it, let us know how it is. Religious or not in nature and religious person or not, who doesn't love a good conspiracy/mystery/apocalypse tale?

I just taped Kon Tiki, the made for TV rendition of that book, about those old goons who sailed the Ocean on a Raft with wood they got from Home Depot.

Kon-Tiki13.jpg

kontiki_big.jpg

That book you got sounds like the Celestine Prophecies.

Crazy people gonna crazy.

it's a religious mailer. enjoy.

I think what left the biggest impression upon me was that it's a whole book. Not a letter or a 10-page pamphlet, but a book that's almost 400 pages. Then when I found out that this has been done in at least 5 cities, at a cost of about $1 million per city, I was like holy shit.

That just seems like a lot of weight to carry door to door - or a bitch ass of a drive.

7th Day is a cult.

Interesting you say that. I just got done having a conversation about whether or not the 7th Day Adventists are a cult. My impression, having grown up a Baptist, was that they were on the fringes of Protestantism but still narrowly within the scope of orthodoxy.

Well, gotta admire their conviction; that's an expensive effort.

Let us know if it's any good.

The world has been ending every year since I can remember, I'm 41. My father told me he heard the world was ending almost every year too and he is late 60s. My grandfather thought the end of times was coming as well. He died naturally when he was 99. I don't know man, the world hasn't ended yet and Christianity has been around a long time. Christians have been waiting for the return of Jesus and the end of the world ever since Jesus has died. Excuse me if I sound a bit skeptical.

If you ever see someone wearing a Pin that looks like this, ask them what it means amd they will give you a bible.

the-gideons-international-logo-primary.jpg

The world has been ending every year since I can remember, I'm 41. My father told me he heard the world was ending almost every year too and he is late 60s. My grandfather thought the end of times was coming as well. He died naturally when he was 99. I don't know man, the world hasn't ended yet and Christianity has been around a long time. Christians have been waiting for the return of Jesus and the end of the world ever since Jesus has died. Excuse me if I sound a bit skeptical.
it's OK, Jesus forgives you for your skepticism (rolls eyes).

What does it mean?

I dont wear the pin. I am not a memember but they are the Gideons. They are the one that put bibles in most of the hotels and motels. They carry the miji bibles with them and will hand you one if you ask for one

I dont wear the pin. I am not a memember but they are the Gideons. They are the one that put bibles in most of the hotels and motels. They carry the miji bibles with them and will hand you one if you ask for one

Since I asked, it's Ok to steal one from the next cheap hotel I visit, right?

I can leave a note: "Cheese said I could."

Back