Religous tome "The Great Controversy" blankets cities across the US

Since I asked, it's Ok to steal one from the next cheap hotel I visit, right?

I can leave a note: "Cheese said I could."

haha. I really dont think they would care. They want people to have them.

I dont wear the pin. I am not a memember but they are the Gideons. They are the one that put bibles in most of the hotels and motels. They carry the miji bibles with them and will hand you one if you ask for one

yeah. I use have serval of them as customers and they always handed out them to anyone who wanted them.

I remember finding Gideon Bibles in hotel rooms back in the day. I think at one time pretty much every hotel allowed it. These days I suspect almost none of them do.

Interesting you say that. I just got done having a conversation about whether or not the 7th Day Adventists are a cult. My impression, having grown up a Baptist, was that they were on the fringes of Protestantism but still narrowly within the scope of orthodoxy.

They believe that gathering for worship on Sunday is the mark of the beast. The NT clearly says not to judge believers for whatever day they choose to hold sabbath.

Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath.

And they don't even keep the biblical letter-of-the-law sabbath themselves. They drive to their worship centers, which is ignition of flame, and in most cases traveling beyond the prescribed distance, which is against Shabat rules.

They believe that gathering for worship on Sunday is the mark of the beast. The NT clearly says not to judge believers for whatever day they choose to hold sabbath.

And they don't even keep the biblical letter-of-the-law sabbath themselves. They drive to their worship centers, which is ignition of flame, and in most cases traveling beyond the prescribed distance, which is against Shabat rules.

I wouldn't say that makes them a cult though. Inconsistency in belief and practice is not exactly rare among the various Christian sects.

I wouldn't say that makes them a cult though. Inconsistency in belief and practice is not exactly rare among the various Christian sects.

"Cult" may be too harsh, but they're definitely painting with a big brush when they say all the Sunday folks are going to Hell. And again, if you examine the Sabbath regulations and observe their practices, you can clearly see they're picking and choosing their criteria for judgement.

Any 7th day member who has placed his trust in Jesus for salvation exclusively is good to go imo, but their ministry may still be lacking because of their twisted view of Scripture.

"Cult" may be too harsh, but they're definitely painting with a big brush when they say all the Sunday folks are going to Hell. And again, if you examine the Sabbath regulations and observe their practices, you can clearly see they're picking and choosing their criteria for judgement.

Any 7th day member who has placed his trust in Jesus for salvation exclusively is good to go imo, but their ministry may still be lacking because of their twisted view of Scripture.

Do they really think that all non-Adventists are going to hell? I had not heard that.

So I opened up my mailbox yesterday only to find a book--a whole book, not a fucking pamphlet or an excerpt--sitting there waiting for me. It was called The Great Controversy.

Look, if you want to read a good book on the christian version of the apocalypse as detailed in Revelations, then read this book it is the best book on the subject

http://www.amazon.com/Revelation-Jo...r_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1445380226&sr=1-12

51%2BkCOxCuJL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Here's an interesting excerpt I've found from another article:

Remnant Publications laid their cards on the table in a website post outlining their effort to reach San Francisco:

Over the past year Remnant Publications has been sending mass mailings of The Great Controversy to major cities in the United States. So far we’ve blanketed New York City; Washington, DC; and Charlotte, NC, with nearly two million copies of this crucial end-time book.

Our supporters made this possible by funding the printing and mailing costs for the books. Now we’re reaching into the San Francisco Bay area in California.

San Francisco is not the easiest community to reach. For years the city has been at the forefront of the gay movement. In fact, 15 percent of San Francisco residents are homosexual. The area is home to the University of California-Berkeley, a hotbed of liberal ideas. It also contains the affluent communities of Silicon Valley, where high-tech companies like Google and Facebook are changing the world on a daily basis.

San Franciscans were unamused. "Did anyone else get this religious book in the mail?" wrote a Reddit user called NightWriter500. "There's no address on it at all, so we're wondering how it ended up in the mailbox. My roommate is screaming bloody murder about a renegade mailman putting unsolicited religious text in people's mailboxes. Did everyone get one?"

In the comments section of a separate online article about Remnant's blanketing of Charlotte, North Carolina with the paperbacks, a mail carrier talked about the mailing from the Postal Service's point of view.

As a mail carrier, I had to deliver these books to every one of my customers. The Post Office was flooded with calls after the carriers delivered to their respective routes. Some would call blaming their carrier for leaving a "religious book" in their mailbox trying to "convert" them. Others on my route would either leave the book on top of the mail box or leave it in their box while only taking the mail out, as if to protest in their own silent way. These books were not well received in Los Gatos, Ca. I have been carrying one around with me for months with the intent of reading it, but just couldn't get past the first sentence for some reason. I finally Googled the book title and found out what it was and who it was written by.....needless to say, it's now in the recycle as of this morning. Something I should have done a very long time ago.

Perhaps the most damning indictment of the Great Controversy Project to date came just this morning from Jules Suzdaltsev writing in San Francisco-based The Bold Italic. Suzdaltsev wrote to San Francisco residents explaining why their mailboxes were recently flooded with "God Propaganda" (his words). He called the Great Controversy's arrival "unwanted, unordered, and inexplicable." Suzdaltsev suggested that to impress San Francisco residents, Adventists would have done better donating to a non-profit than trying to impress people with books from their gone prophet.

What these Seventh-Day Adventists have missed, however, is that SF’s gay-friendly, liberal community isn’t easily reachable through a somewhat homophobic web crusade and an unsought religious text. The Adventists would probably have more luck getting support by donating that quarter of a million to any number of SF charities. You know, like Jesus would’ve done. Just a thought.

More end of the world stuff. Don't these plebs ever get sick or being wrong?

I could be wrong, but I suspect there's no specific date given in the book. Only that it will happen and we're rushing toward it.

Ahh I've read about people talking about the false sabbath and it made me think twice at first.

I think Sunday worship came from acts 20 7 and 1 Corinthians 16 2 talking about the disciples gathering on the the 1st day.

I agree with you though- everyday is a day to worship and praise God in my opinion.

i dunno, there are a few 7th day adventists in my town, they run a kick ass vegetarian restaurant and are generally nice people.

Back