Regarding systematic leg locks

If the athletes have disjoint styles its strong evidence that they aren't receiving top down instruction but rely on self study more.
I don't agree with that at all. Being a top coach doesn't mean producing clones. And encouraging and providing the tools and guidance to engage in fruitful self-study can be a major part of being a great coach.

No, LI was the first "King of Leg Locks". Thats true. There were three "Princes of leg locks", one being unrelated, one being myself and the other being the white dude from TLI who's name I forget.
You're thinking of Ferguson, the tae kwon do guy who wrote the book 'Submission Wrestling.' Can't recall his first name.

For whatever it is worth, the guy from Irvin's that I trained with a lot, Roberto Torralbas, didn't really have great leglocks at the time. In fact, our styles were like fire and ice; he didn't like standing entries, takedowns or leglocks. We were basically two stereotypes of catch-wrestling and BJJ that trained with each other. We definitely had great rolls and a great time together, though. Although he did at one point tell me that he was picking me up and driving me to the dojo to roll because I was a good roll, not because he wanted to be my friend. I don't know if he got that attitude from Lloyd or not but I've never heard that from someone before.

Last edited:
No, LI was the first "King of Leg Locks". Thats true. There were three "Princes of leg locks", one being unrelated, one being myself and the other being the white dude from TLI who's name I forget.
Robert Ferguson. That was his name.

From some obscure book written in the 1970s, by some random guy I never heard of, ‘Bruce Lee’. He probably didn’t even lift

vnqu6g050oy31.jpg

Some centaur dude, heelhooking a whitebelt in an ancient Roman engraving in the Vatican.

DZbmsrEX0AAduKw.jpg

Seems like a major weight disparity, musta been absolute

One guy that absolutely does not get enough credit for his technique, beyond just his beautiful entries, is Masakatsu Funaki. The "K-guard" has been fairly trendy over the past few years, both through Neil Melanson and then Lachlan Giles. Really, as far as I know, it should be called "the F-guard" because Masakatsu Funaki was constantly using that to transition to leglocks from the guard.

By using the same logic, no innovation has been made in grappling ever, since most of the stuff we do today has been around for long, in a way or another.
Mendes and their berimbolo and everything finishing in a leg drag position? Some dude was doing that in the 90ies.

But if you follow the sport you know that the last ADCC or IBJJF Worlds looked like a different sport compared to the older events.

The devil is in the detail, just because someone was doing inside heel hooks or inverting from de la riva doesn't mean the techniques have not been refined a ton, and are still being refined today.

Now, you may hate Danaher, but you can't negate that he is doing something right.

By using the same logic, no innovation has been made in grappling ever, since most of the stuff we do today has been around for long, in a way or another.
Mendes and their berimbolo and everything finishing in a leg drag position? Some dude was doing that in the 90ies.

But if you follow the sport you know that the last ADCC or IBJJF Worlds looked like a different sport compared to the older events.

The devil is in the detail, just because someone was doing inside heel hooks or inverting from de la riva doesn't mean the techniques have not been refined a ton, and are still being refined today.

Now, you may hate Danaher, but you can't negate that he is doing something right.

I stopped reading when you said "Follow the sport". Don't listen to fans, only athletes.

Back