Regarding Pork/Lean Beef & White Pasta - Berardi Article

• Thread starter Deleted member 87037
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 87037

Regarding John Berardi's article: Massive Eating - Part II: Meal Combinations and Individual Differences...

He lists examples of good proteins to eat for the recommended 3 daily meals of proteins + fats (with minimal carbs). They are:

Proteins: beef, salmon, whey, casein, turkey, whole eggs, pork

Beef and pork are high in saturated fat, and the article has the overtone that if his diet is followed, fat gain will be minimal. How does beef/pork work in with that [minimal fat gain]? Should I eat lean beef/low-in-fat pork (like tenderloin) or just regular ground beef, pork? Additionally, why isn't chicken there (and just turkey)? Can I have white chicken?

Also, he lists examples of good carbs to eat for the recommended 3 daily meals of proteins + carbs (with minimal fat). They are:

Carbs: apples, oranges, oatmeal, all bran cereals, vegetables, mueslix, white pasta, flax bread, yams

Why white pasta over whole wheat?

I know John Berardi knows COMPLETELY what he's talking about, this is just a question I have as I've read elsewhere to only eat lean meats/whole wheat pasta and am confused by this.

Please advise! Thanks.

Fat content usually does not have nearly as much to do with adipose tissue ("fat") gains as you'd think.

I dont know about the pasta

Something to do with white pasta spiking blood sugar more than brown? I don't know.
Thanks likkuid.

BTW likkuid, some cuts of beef are very lean. Probably the same with pork. That's what Berardi is getting at there. Some fatty meat every now and again is fine as well (maybe even optimal).
I'm surprised he did not mention chicken breasts, or do they go without saying?

Fat content usually does not have nearly as much to do with adipose tissue ("fat") gains as you'd think.

I dont know about the pasta

Oh, really? In that case I'll eat lean beef.

BTW likkuid, some cuts of beef are very lean. Probably the same with pork. That's what Berardi is getting at there. Some fatty meat every now and again is fine as well (maybe even optimal).
I'm surprised he did not mention chicken breasts, or do they go without saying?

Well I thought it was the same as turkey, so my surprise was the same as yours.

On the meat side, it doesn't have to be lean meat. In fact, in PN he states that if you are looking to gain weight you may want to go with the fattier cuts of meat, such as 80/20 ground beef instead of 96/4 or whatever. The reason? He quite often stated in old articles, like the Fat Rountable on T-Nation, that saturated fats have been shown in studies to increase test production/sensitivity or something. If you keep the 1/3 split of Sat/MUFA/PUFA that Berardi advocates, you should be fine with fatty cuts.

On the meat side, it doesn't have to be lean meat. In fact, in PN he states that if you are looking to gain weight you may want to go with the fattier cuts of meat, such as 80/20 ground beef instead of 96/4 or whatever. The reason? He quite often stated in old articles, like the Fat Rountable on T-Nation, that saturated fats have been shown in studies to increase test production/sensitivity or something. If you keep the 1/3 split of Sat/MUFA/PUFA that Berardi advocates, you should be fine with fatty cuts.

1/3rd rule, got it. thanks.

ah for anyone still wondering i read in another topic that glucose is good PWO so that explains the white pasta.

Back