Regain Max Strength Before Working on Explosive Strength?

TSLx89

White Belt
Reaction score
I had a lifting history of 2.5 years. However, I stopped one year ago and then began BJJ. I've been doing two strength workouts a week to compliment my BJJ. Now I understand this is S&P and about getting strong but I'm looking at this from an athletic point of view and my main goal is to improve in BJJ.

Now I remember reading that excessive max strength is harmful and negatively affects speed strength, but I also read that if you're not strong enough, it's less productive to do explosive work because the weight you're lifting is too little. Hence why Joe Defranco prefers the repetition method over the dynamic method for his athletes. But I also know that Ross in Infinite Intensity says to cover all strengths... But since I'm a weak mofo now, is it worth doing the explosive work when it's with lighter weights? Maybe it's something I'm missing here?

If you are a "weak mofo", building strength will have the biggest impact on your explosiveness. Remember, power is work (force (i.e. your max strength) x distance) applied over a period of time. If you don't have a lot of strength, your potential for generating large power is lower than it otherwise would be. When people talk about max strength training to the detriment of speed strength, they are usually talking about highly trained individuals.

Hence why Joe Defranco prefers the repetition method over the dynamic method for his athletes.

Where do you get this idea from? The only thing I've read that remotely goes along with that idea is Joe doesn't like a Dynamic Effort Lower Body day for his skinny bastards right off the bat because they're not conditioned for it and they won't recover fast enough. However, his Skinny Bastards II program incorporates a Dynamic Effort Lower Body day which consists of jump training. To conclude, Joe DeFranco absolutely favors Dynamic Effort Lower Body days for his athletes...

As Donut said, if you are relatively weak, you are most likely to benefit from working your maximal strength. However, if you feel that you are relatively slow - whatever your strength levels - then you may want to incorporate speed work earlier as well.

Yeah, there is never anything wrong with some speed work at any level. Just short sprints alone will get you pretty far, and can help your lifting in return.

Where do you get this idea from? The only thing I've read that remotely goes along with that idea is Joe doesn't like a Dynamic Effort Lower Body day for his skinny bastards right off the bat because they're not conditioned for it and they won't recover fast enough. However, his Skinny Bastards II program incorporates a Dynamic Effort Lower Body day which consists of jump training. To conclude, Joe DeFranco absolutely favors Dynamic Effort Lower Body days for his athletes...

I apologize, I worded that wrong. You're 100 percent correct. What I meant was that he prefers the repetition method for his weaker athletes..

" Repetition Upper Body Day - I've substituted dynamic-effort days with repetition days for the upper body. This may be the biggest change from the traditional Westside template. I've also found it to be one of the keys to success for muscular growth in my younger athletes. Simply put, dynamic days just aren't that productive for weak, skinny bastards!

Remember that this modified program was put together for athletes who lack muscle mass. Well, the repetition method is an incredible way to elicit muscular hypertrophy. Compared to a smaller muscle, a bigger muscle has a better chance of becoming a stronger muscle. Packing on some muscle mass by means of the repetition method lays a great foundation for the more advanced dynamic days to come.

I even substitute dynamic days with repetition days for my NFL football players during the initial stages of the off-season. This is because repetition work is easier on the joints following a grueling season and it's a great way to pack on any muscle that was lost during the season. " - Joe Defranco

Thanks Donut62 and Takanhese

"Explosive Strength" =Power
Power=Work/Time
Work=ForcexDistance

If distance and time are constant, increasing force (max strength) will increase power (explosive strength).

Thanks Xtrainer, I follow your log alot, you're a conditioned beast man.

Thanks. I do okay, but there's guys here who do just as well carrying another a whole lot more muscle weight than I have.

Thanks. I do okay, but there's guys here who do just as well carrying another a whole lot more muscle weight than I have.

Just be careful I am switching my leg lifting to plyometrics and car pushes and pistols and other various forms of working legs instead of the conventional deadlift/squat deal.

I fucked my back up tonight sad day for me :icon_cry2

I lift to supplement my training and now I may have to miss training time I really hope not.

Back